What about high school football?

That won’t stand - a parent will sue for discrimination and the schools will fold like a cheap tent

Agreed; school districts need to offer either entirely-virtual academic terms and forego middle school/high school athletics or trudge ahead with in-person academics (thus having fall sports) and provide objecting parents with pamphlets extolling the "virtues" of home schooling.

My 9 year old is playing baseball right now. Travel and Rec. I know youth football is practicing. I live in New Jersey by the way.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Small high school coach here. We are preparing as if we will play for now. I personally don’t see how it will work. If your opponent shuts down when you play them, makeup games, crowd control, etc. But I believe that if the choice is up to TSSAA they will play as they have already lost a ton of money from missing basketball playoffs earlier this year (strictly opinion here). And for the virtual students. If you are too worried for your kid to be in a controlled classroom environment, then they should be just as worried about a less controlled environment such as a game field.

Fulton Co. (Atlanta) just announced parents have a choice of in classroom or virtual studies. Anyone that does not chose in classroom will not be eligible for extra curricular activities.

Fulton County just announced virtual only for all students. No timeframe provided.

Also a statement on sports:

“Unfortunately, that experience hasn’t gone well,” he said. “And while the (GHSA) permits groups of up to 50 athletes to participate in activities, Fulton County Schools has limited that number to 20. Despite that, the number of active COVID cases amongst our athletes and our coaches has continued to rise, so much so that I have a hard time visualizing (that) with groups of 20 athletes we can’t safely get together and practice and condition, I’m not sure how we can foreseeable do school in a safe manner.”

My cousin is in high school. As of right now he said everything is still on. They’re just gonna make everyone wear masks to school. He’s on the football team as well and they’re not going contact but they’re still performing workouts. He said he’d be surprised if they actually play

?????????????????????????????

He's saying that the original poster doesn't care about the inconvenience of the less fortunate, which is dumb considering COVID-19 inconveniences (and poses a potential exposure/affliction risk) to all of us.

It's terrible that 135k have died and it's awful that even more will continue to do so, but this is going to happen whether or not high schools and colleges play sports this fall. Let's not try to isolate ourselves forever, now.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools just announced that they will have kids in school for 3-4 days a week and then transition to fully remote after 2 weeks. Sports has been pushed back to at least a September start.
That’s an odd set up. I wonder why start in class and then transition to online? Why not start in school and only transition if necessary?

Small high school coach here. We are preparing as if we will play for now. I personally don’t see how it will work. If your opponent shuts down when you play them, makeup games, crowd control, etc. But I believe that if the choice is up to TSSAA they will play as they have already lost a ton of money from missing basketball playoffs earlier this year (strictly opinion here). And for the virtual students. If you are too worried for your kid to be in a controlled classroom environment, then they should be just as worried about a less controlled environment such as a game field.

Honest question - what would you do as a coach if one of your players tests positive on a Thursday when they’ve been practicing with the team in close contact already for a few days earlier in the week? Does the whole team get tested? How many players would have to quarantine for 2 weeks after being exposed to this kid? Can you even play week to week when substantial numbers of players are missing due to quarantine?

I just read the email from the local superintendent of schools. These are the same people that could not grade a set of standardized tests. I have my doubts their plan will go as planned. They are so layered in bureaucracy they have trouble getting anything done.

Reactions: VolsSince78
Agree. Except those in charge of allowing all of us to live our lives simply don’t want to be responsible for an outbreak and a vulnerable citizen getting really sick or losing their lives.

How is anyone else responsible for the choices that I make? Guess what? Vulnerable people are going to die with or without football. If you’re vulnerable or don’t want to participate then stay at home, no one is holding a gun to your head to make you play or go to a game.

Agreed; school districts need to offer either entirely-virtual academic terms and forego middle school/high school athletics or trudge ahead with in-person academics (thus having fall sports) and provide objecting parents with pamphlets extolling the "virtues" of home schooling.

Hey now, my son is homeschooled and plays football. Why homeschool? Why would I send my kids to spend more time in a school that primarily cares about funding for more hours in a week than they would spend with their parents? To think that only the public school system can educate children is just an uneducated thought.

Agree. Except those in charge of allowing all of us to live our lives simply don’t want to be responsible for an outbreak and a vulnerable citizen getting really sick or losing their lives.[/QUOTE

Because the government improves everything it gets involved with right? That’s why I look forward to going to get my license or tags renewed.

Testing protocol will be the hangup to play this season. Probably need to test all players two days before games. Do schools have access to quick-turnaround testing?

How is anyone else responsible for the choices that I make? Guess what? Vulnerable people are going to die with or without football. If you’re vulnerable or don’t want to participate then stay at home, no one is holding a gun to your head to make you play or go to a game.

It ain’t happnin - you’re not going to be able to sign some waiver voiding you’re rights to sue if you get sick attending a college football game. I feel your disappointment, but it’s not going to happen and most experts monitoring this situation are starting to come out and say so

It ain’t happnin - you’re not going to be able to sign some waiver voiding you’re rights to sue if you get sick attending a college football game. I feel your disappointment, but it’s not going to happen and most experts monitoring this situation are starting to come out and say so
By your opinion I should be able to sue the University since I got a stomach bug last year after attending a game?

Fulton Co. (Atlanta) just announced parents have a choice of in classroom or virtual studies. Anyone that does not chose in classroom will not be eligible for extra curricular activities.

Whoa, are there going to be some pissed rich Roswell/Alpharettaeans. They want to secede from Fulton anyway. This should put them over the brink.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Hey now, my son is homeschooled and plays football. Why homeschool? Why would I send my kids to spend more time in a school that primarily cares about funding for more hours in a week than they would spend with their parents? To think that only the public school system can educate children is just an uneducated thought.

I did not realize that homeschooled students were eligible to participate in high school athletics, my apologies. That proves more challenging for this year, though, since your (justifiable) reasons for homeschooling your children are at odds with parents who won't send their children to school due to concern about this virus yet may turn around and expect said children to be permitted to participate in sports.

Can’t confirm, but believe some truth to it. After all it is GA. If they do play have to believe AL, LA,
FL, TN, SC, MS & TX not to far behind. Downside is OSU, MI, Penn St & ND will be preying on boys more heavily then ever. Damn carpetbaggers.
on our boys, not accusing them of being child molesters. Sorry meant no respect.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
My opinion on college sports. Wear a mask. Check temps entering stadiums. Make each person have proof of a recent negative covid test. Problem solved. Bring on the beer.

No on the recent covid test - Labs are stretched to the absolute max right now with running of test that need to be run for sick patients (and I work in healthcare). You can test negative this week (say week 1), get exposed, and test positive in week 3 - are you going to have to get tested every week ?. I am ok with wearing masks if it means getting to see football. I will gladly sign a waiver that does not hold university responsible if I contract virus.

Here in Illinois they are still putzing around trying to figure out what to do. As of now it’s on but I seriously doubt they will play. They are allowing camps now but no contact.

VN Store

Back