What about high school football?

Fulton County just announced virtual only for all students. No timeframe provided.

Also a statement on sports:

“Unfortunately, that experience hasn’t gone well,” he said. “And while the (GHSA) permits groups of up to 50 athletes to participate in activities, Fulton County Schools has limited that number to 20. Despite that, the number of active COVID cases amongst our athletes and our coaches has continued to rise, so much so that I have a hard time visualizing (that) with groups of 20 athletes we can’t safely get together and practice and condition, I’m not sure how we can foreseeable do school in a safe manner.”
I guess WSB has it wrong this morning while driving. My bad

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp has banned mask mandates.:cool: That might help things in Georgia!:cool:

He didn't ban mask mandates he is just explaining how the law works. Citywide mask mandates are unenforceable as there is a statewide executive order for Georgia to be in phase 2 of reopening. Mayor Lance-Bottoms does not have the authority to roll-back nor speed-up reopening. Businesses can require masks at their discretion, and most (especially recently) are requiring them. Here in Atlanta I would estimate 80-90% of people are now wearing them when in public which is probably about the same percentage as would be if there were a mandate

He didn't ban mask mandates he is just explaining how the law works. Citywide mask mandates are unenforceable as there is a statewide executive order for Georgia to be in phase 2 of reopening. Mayor Lance-Bottoms does not have the authority to roll-back nor speed-up reopening. Businesses can require masks at their discretion, and most (especially recently) are requiring them. Here in Atlanta I would estimate 80-90% of people are now wearing them when in public which is probably about the same percentage as would be if there were a mandate
I doubt i will be forced to wear one while shopping at Walmart

I don’t have high school aged kids, so those who do, what are you hearing about high school football and other sports?

Our school district has elected to delay the start of school and go 100% virtual for at least the first month. They have not made a decision on extracurricular activities, but I’m doubtful they will approve those if they won’t even allow kids into school. What are y’all hearing in your towns?

It would really suck for these kids to have their season cancelled. I would imagine it would also have upstream effects with regards to recruits missing a season of play and development. Hopefully we don’t get a class full of J.J. Peterson’s.
It's going to really damage the recruiting pipeline with so many kids not able to play. The fallout from this is going to be huge. You're going to see a lot of colleges just fold their football programs, other lesser sports like golf or rowing gets axed. It's definitely going to shrink scholarships a lot. There is already a growing undercurrent of resentment towards football, because it is a hyper masculine sport women can't play and in today's world, that makes it a target.

Doubt there will be high school football for the same reasons there won’t be college football. Ease of spread, liability of school administrators and coaches, and quarantine requirements for those exposed

It stinks not only for the players, but cheerleaders and high school bands suffer

I’m a school principal in Birmingham. All the schools here are currently practicing and planning on a season in the fall. However, the underlying thought is that we are walking on thin ice and the AHSAA (our TSSAA) can take it away any moment. If I were a betting man, I don’t think we will see a high school season this year.

As it stands right now? You are probably right. But if a vaccine becomes available? This goes away. And if were a betting man? It happens by the end of August.

It stinks not only for the players, but cheerleaders and high school bands suffer

Well, I am sure the cheerleaders and bands can do their thing without the players. And social distancing won't be a problem without the players.

Imagine your a coach of a high school team and god forbid a player on your team gets the virus and dies it will be lawsuits up the ass from the parents.

I did not realize that homeschooled students were eligible to participate in high school athletics, my apologies. That proves more challenging for this year, though, since your (justifiable) reasons for homeschooling your children are at odds with parents who won't send their children to school due to concern about this virus yet may turn around and expect said children to be permitted to participate in sports.
So all are aware, its not as simple as saying I am going to home school my kid and he can play sports. The TSSAA has eligibility rules. If a kid has an athletic record at a public or private school and decides to home school this year, the TSSAA will consider that kid a "transfer student without a change of address" and rule that student ineligible to participate for a calendar year. If a kid is a freshman and has no athletic record as of yet but plays sports for a public/private school as a home school student and then enrolled in a public/private school their sophomore year, they would also be considered a " transfer student without a change of address" and will be ineligible to participate as a sophome. Its all very complicated.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Doubt there will be high school football for the same reasons there won’t be college football. Ease of spread, liability of school administrators and coaches, and quarantine requirements for those exposed
My daughter is on the middle school volleyball and softball team. We received an email a couple of days ago that we had to sign releasing the school and school system from any liability if our daughter were to get sick. I think this will be the norm and it will be parent's choice for the most part and most counties will have sports this fall. I live in middle TN for what its worth.

Reactions: gnm53108
My daughter is on the middle school volleyball and softball team. We received an email a couple of days ago that we had to sign releasing the school and school system from any liability if our daughter were to get sick. I think this will be the norm and it will be parent's choice for the most part and most counties will have sports this fall. I live in middle TN for what its worth.

Thats a good step, but it doesn’t address what schools and programs are required to do IF a player or student becomes infected. You have your waiver, but will the whole team have to quarantine for 14 days if a player does indeed test positive after a week or two of practice? What if that happens 2 weeks into the season? You’re going to have this never ending cycle of quarantine - play - quarantine - play, etc.

I did not realize that homeschooled students were eligible to participate in high school athletics, my apologies. That proves more challenging for this year, though, since your (justifiable) reasons for homeschooling your children are at odds with parents who won't send their children to school due to concern about this virus yet may turn around and expect said children to be permitted to participate in sports.
Homeschool participation is state by state, typically driven by the Education Board, KY doesn’t allow it, that’s why we drive an hour each way for practice. If you don’t send your kids to school and they have the no participation rule, there’s not much you can do about it other than look for alternatives, regardless of COVID or anything else. The main reason we homeschool is this: it doesn’t make much sense to me for my kids to spend more hours with a teacher than my wife and I on a weekly basis. It’s up to each kid though, we give them a choice between public school and home school. My oldest went to HS 4 years and graduated, my younger kids could very well decide to as well,but for me I would rather mold them in their formative years than letting to school system do it.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Rhetorical question:

If you had a son who was a good football player who maybe had a college offer or two but has been working his butt off the last six months getting bigger and stronger in hopes of possibly getting more and better offers, would you let him repeat senior year if there’s no football this season?

Curious what people think

Imagine your a coach of a high school team and god forbid a player on your team gets the virus and dies it will be lawsuits up the ass from the parents.

I'd suggest it would be extremely difficult to prove a high school student much less one playing sports got their specific case of Covid-19 at school or during a practice rather than eating a burrito from Taco Bell's drive thru window.

That’s an odd set up. I wonder why start in class and then transition to online? Why not start in school and only transition if necessary?

I’m not there, but the plan might be to train the students for remote learning up front. They might also do benchmarking for interventions (RTI2). Then they are going to duck for cover.

Well, one of my son's teammates tested positive today(Catoosa County/ Heritage high school). They won't say who. Luckily, we've been on vacation for the past 2 weeks. Will resume on the 28th

VN Store

Back