Weird Facts About Famous Movies

In the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie, the band KISS was originally wanted to play the villains. However they couldn't be in it due to them filming KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park and instead Aerosmith was chosen.

Not sure if many of you remember the 1993 movie "The Program"...but if you saw it in the theater, there was a scene involving the Heisman Trophy candidate Joe Kane laying down in the center of a heavily trafficked road after coming out of the bar with his teammates. The scene was deleted and not available on the VHS, DVD or any other release after two separate incidents happened in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, in which one person was killed and others were hurt after mimicking the scene. The scene is available on YouTube.
That is reminiscent of how the Russian Roulette scenes from The Deer Hunter served as inspiration for some idiots in the late 70's and early 80's to take it up. There was a famous lawsuit in 1981 involving a guy in Minnesota who blew his brains out playing Russian Roulette after watching the movie. His family blamed the filmmakers rather than his own foolishness. For what it's worth, there are no recorded accounts of either the Viet Cong or the NVA ever forcing any of their prisoners into playing the deadly game.

In the Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie, the band KISS was originally wanted to play the villains. However they couldn't be in it due to them filming KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park and instead Aerosmith was chosen.

So there is a connection between two of the worst movies ever made. Though I loved Phantom of the Park and watched it several times.

Hot take: the Program sucks big time
All football movies do. I could see a realistic take on the career of a 5 star high school football bust being pretty good. It couldn't be a QB or an RB, but maybe an LB or DB? Something that started with major college coaches fawning over him at camps as a senior and ended with him transferring down to an FCS school, maybe? I could see some good opportunity for comedy with the inevitable, "oh, you mean I actually have to prove myself now?" cold/hard reality. These movies always take either a sappy turn or a melodramatic one. They never stay focused.

Reactions: n_huffhines
All football movies do. I could see a realistic take on the career of a 5 star high school football bust being pretty good. It couldn't be a QB or an RB, but maybe an LB or DB? Something that started with major college coaches fawning over him at camps as a senior and ended with him transferring down to an FCS school, maybe? I could see some good opportunity for comedy with the inevitable, "oh, you mean I actually have to prove myself now?" cold/hard reality. These movies always take either a sappy turn or a melodramatic one. They never stay focused.

My problem with football movies and TV shows is for whatever reason, Hollywood can never get the fine details right, and it ruins everything for me. In the show Friday Night Lights, they kicked it onsides at the end of a big game, recover, and then take possession at like their own 25 yard line. WTF? I just can't overlook that stuff.

Friday Night Lights the movie was solid, but even that was a little too sensational, and I can't think of anything else I've liked.

The worst football movie trope is the enormous fat guy being the best lineman, as if shear size is all it takes.

My problem with football movies and TV shows is for whatever reason, Hollywood can never get the fine details right, and it ruins everything for me. In the show Friday Night Lights, they kicked it onsides at the end of a big game, recover, and then take possession at like their own 25 yard line. WTF? I just can't overlook that stuff.

Friday Night Lights the movie was solid, but even that was a little too sensational, and I can't think of anything else I've liked.

The worst football movie trope is the enormous fat guy being the best lineman, as if shear size is all it takes.
You must have hated Varsity Blues (if you saw it).... it touched all of these bases. Billy Bob (Ron Lester) was 370 lbs of pure lard, and how about that play where he pulls and ends up blocking 5 or 6 defenders 50 yards down the field? Yeah, that happens. And of course, the head coach has to be a jerk and strangely, there are only 1 or 2 assistants.

Last edited:
Reactions: n_huffhines
You must have hated Varsity Blues (if you saw it).... it touched all of these bases. Billy Bob (Ron Lester) probably weighed 350 lbs, and how about that play where he pulls and ends up blocking 5 or 6 defenders 50 yards down the field? Yeah, that happens. And of course, the head coach has to be a jerk and strangely, there are only 1 or 2 assistants.

I was 16 when it came out, so I enjoyed it for the TnA and rowdiness, but still recognized the football was terrible. It's unwatchable now.

They revolt against the HC and instead of an assistant taking over, Paul Walker coaches them. Lol

Yeah there aren't too many football movies where the actual on-field action feels authentic. We Are Marshall is pretty good in that department.

The Program is almost laughable for a lot of reasons. You have a major college program and the entire coaching staff consists of 3 coaches? You have a total of 2 QB's on your roster? Your star defensive end is a senior and at the end of the movie you say you're going on a recruiting trip to find someone to replace him (shouldn't you ALREADY have someone on your roster ready to replace him?) Just little things like that.

Last edited:
This won’t be popular, but I actually like Any Given Sunday. It’s hard to watch any football movie for the actual quality of the game scenes, usually the story is what makes it good or bad. I think Friday Night Lights the Tv Show was more about the town and the fact that Landry straight up killed a guy (spoilers) than the fact that every game was pretty much won in the last minute.

In "In Pursuit of Honor" the beginning says it was based upon a true story. However, all research indicates otherwise. Some of the researchers say it was an old tale from the cowboys in Montana.

This won’t be popular, but I actually like Any Given Sunday. It’s hard to watch any football movie for the actual quality of the game scenes, usually the story is what makes it good or bad. I think Friday Night Lights the Tv Show was more about the town and the fact that Landry straight up killed a guy (spoilers) than the fact that every game was pretty much won in the last minute.

Jamie Foxx is a horrible passer!

You must have hated Varsity Blues (if you saw it).... it touched all of these bases. Billy Bob (Ron Lester) was 370 lbs of pure lard, and how about that play where he pulls and ends up blocking 5 or 6 defenders 50 yards down the field? Yeah, that happens. And of course, the head coach has to be a jerk and strangely, there are only 1 or 2 assistants.
It's a comedy. It's not really a football movie.

And it still makes me laugh.

It's a comedy. It's not really a football movie.

And it still makes me laugh.
It's not a straight comedy like "The Waterboy" where reality is being mocked. It's a '99 teen comedy/drama that did take itself seriously in the football segments. I thought it had its moments but the football portions were cliched and terrible.

Last edited:
Another fun fact on that movie - several of the football scenes were filmed at halftime of the 1992 UT/South Carolina game in Columbia. I, and many others, make an uncredited appearance in the movie. The directors spent halftime filming plays and telling us when to cheer and boo before each take.
I was there too.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
It's not a straight comedy like "The Waterboy" where reality is being mocked. It's a '99 teen comedy/drama that it did take itself seriously in the football segments. I thought it had its moments but the football portions were cliched and terrible.
Tweeter and Billy Bob still make me laugh.

The original which in WOZ was accident set on fire and died
Disney VHS tales are full of hidden messages causing Disney to make complete development changes.
She was accidently set on fire and suffered first and second degree burns. She did not die from it. Also, Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man but had to resign the role because he was allergic to the silver make up. Buddy Ebsen played Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies.

Jaws is my all time favorite film! Besides the facts that have already been posted, here's a few more...

1. The animosity between Hooper and Quint on screen was not acting. Robert Shaw and Richard Dryfus couldn't stand each other. Shaw constantly f'cked with Dryfus on set, telling him things like "Well Richard you know, if there's a large demand for short, Jewish, character actors you could potentially have a pretty good career." LMAO!

2. The tiger shark that the locals caught and mistook for the killer shark was not a prop. It was in fact real. It had been caught just off the coast of Martha's Vinyard (where it the movie was filmed) during shooting so they used it in the scene.

3. The opening underwater scene where you first hear the theme song was originally supposed to be shot from within the shark's mouth but technology at the time just couldn't make it work.

4. Ellen Brody was played by Lorraine Gary. She was the wife of Universal Studios executive Sidney Sheinberg who had basically "discovered" Stephen Spielberg. While Lorraine is great in the role, her getting it was obviously an act of nepotism.

5. Scuba tanks do not in fact explode when shot. This was a huge point of contention on set between Spielberg and Jaws author Peter Benchley. Peter was sure that movie-goers would call bullsh_t on that fact (in the book, the shark just dies from it's wounds). However Spielberg insisted that movie-goers wouldn't care and it would be a fantastic ending to the film. I guess we know now who was right!

6. The shark in Jaws was named "Bruce" after Spielberg's lawyer Bruce Raymer.

7. The FX company that built the shark was also responsible for building the giant octopus in Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

8. The underwater scene where Richard Dreyfus sees the fisherman's head roll out of the hole was completely spontaneous. Spielberg did not tell Dreyfus that was going to happen in order to get a real response from him.
George Lucas got trapped in Bruce the Shark's jaws. He was visiting Speilberg on set and though it would be funny to put his head in Bruce's mouth. Playing along, Speilberg shut the jaws, at which point Bruce broke down(he broke down a lot). Lucas was trapped until they could get the jaws open.

The locker room speech is the best part of the movie.

She was accidently set on fire and suffered first and second degree burns. She did not die from it. Also, Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man but had to resign the role because he was allergic to the silver make up. Buddy Ebsen played Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies.

A couple more Wizard of Oz fun facts...

1. Shirley Temple was originally wanted to play the role of Dorothy.
2. Wizard of Oz was not well-received upon it's original theatrical release and was kind of considered a flop. It wasn't until years and years of separation from initial release and annual airings on TV that it actually became a considered classic. (It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story went down similar paths).

VN Store

Back