Weird Facts About Famous Movies

She was accidently set on fire and suffered first and second degree burns. She did not die from it. Also, Buddy Ebsen was the original Tin Man but had to resign the role because he was allergic to the silver make up. Buddy Ebsen played Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies.

Thank you for the clear up. My mistake

George Lucas got trapped in Bruce the Shark's jaws. He was visiting Speilberg on set and though it would be funny to put his head in Bruce's mouth. Playing along, Speilberg shut the jaws, at which point Bruce broke down(he broke down a lot). Lucas was trapped until they could get the jaws open.

Blame my Mom’s uncle. He was from East Tennessee and moved to California and was a set builder for years in Hollywood. He worked on a ton of TV shows and movies and did work on Jaws, including work on the shark.

Reactions: McDad
My problem with football movies and TV shows is for whatever reason, Hollywood can never get the fine details right, and it ruins everything for me. In the show Friday Night Lights, they kicked it onsides at the end of a big game, recover, and then take possession at like their own 25 yard line. WTF? I just can't overlook that stuff.

Friday Night Lights the movie was solid, but even that was a little too sensational, and I can't think of anything else I've liked.

The worst football movie trope is the enormous fat guy being the best lineman, as if shear size is all it takes.

They generally suck with sports in general, but you're right they really can't get football right. I forgot which movie but one of them had the clock running after an incomplete pass; might have been Varsity Blues.

Jaws is my all time favorite film! Besides the facts that have already been posted, here's a few more...

1. The animosity between Hooper and Quint on screen was not acting. Robert Shaw and Richard Dryfus couldn't stand each other. Shaw constantly f'cked with Dryfus on set, telling him things like "Well Richard you know, if there's a large demand for short, Jewish, character actors you could potentially have a pretty good career." LMAO!

2. The tiger shark that the locals caught and mistook for the killer shark was not a prop. It was in fact real. It had been caught just off the coast of Martha's Vinyard (where it the movie was filmed) during shooting so they used it in the scene.

3. The opening underwater scene where you first hear the theme song was originally supposed to be shot from within the shark's mouth but technology at the time just couldn't make it work.

4. Ellen Brody was played by Lorraine Gary. She was the wife of Universal Studios executive Sidney Sheinberg who had basically "discovered" Stephen Spielberg. While Lorraine is great in the role, her getting it was obviously an act of nepotism.

5. Scuba tanks do not in fact explode when shot. This was a huge point of contention on set between Spielberg and Jaws author Peter Benchley. Peter was sure that movie-goers would call bullsh_t on that fact (in the book, the shark just dies from it's wounds). However Spielberg insisted that movie-goers wouldn't care and it would be a fantastic ending to the film. I guess we know now who was right!

6. The shark in Jaws was named "Bruce" after Spielberg's lawyer Bruce Raymer.

7. The FX company that built the shark was also responsible for building the giant octopus in Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

8. The underwater scene where Richard Dreyfus sees the fisherman's head roll out of the hole was completely spontaneous. Spielberg did not tell Dreyfus that was going to happen in order to get a real response from him.

I want to say I read that they lost a shark; it malfunctioned and they could no longer control it and it just swam away and they never could recover it.

This is a pretty famous one:

In Die Hard the scene where Gruber is dropped, Director John McTiernan told Alan Rickman he was going to be released at the count of 3. When they started filming, he had Rickman released at 2, which he did to get a geniune reaction of shock (and it worked).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Lol ive heard a couple of his videos on a radio show and they mock him. He thinks everybody is looking at him for fantasy football advice too.

Apparently he’s really good at ff . I read an article about him when he was still in jail and everybody was asking him for draft and weekly advice. People were visiting him and guards were using him to pick their teams. Unbelievable.

Apparently he’s really good at ff . I read an article about him when he was still in jail and everybody was asking him for draft and weekly advice. People were visiting him and guards were using him to pick their teams. Unbelievable.

I'm listening to a podcast out now by Ron Goldman's sister and she is revisiting the case and interviewing alll kinds of people involved, from prosecution to jurors and she even says she wants to interview OJ himself (not gonna happen). I'll grant the podcast is pretty slanted but at the same time....geez that guy. He has an obvious anger problem and has no problem beating people (and killing) but on the flip side he appears to have this need for everyone to like him. The interview with the guy that ghost wrote his infamous "If I Did It" book was interviewed and OJ is basically admitting to the guy how he did, then goes off when the guy says "Yeah you did it" but then immediately wants to be the guy's friend again.

I'm listening to a podcast out now by Ron Goldman's sister and she is revisiting the case and interviewing alll kinds of people involved, from prosecution to jurors and she even says she wants to interview OJ himself (not gonna happen). I'll grant the podcast is pretty slanted but at the same time....geez that guy. He has an obvious anger problem and has no problem beating people (and killing) but on the flip side he appears to have this need for everyone to like him. The interview with the guy that ghost wrote his infamous "If I Did It" book was interviewed and OJ is basically admitting to the guy how he did, then goes off when the guy says "Yeah you did it" but then immediately wants to be the guy's friend again.

He’s a socio/psychopath of the worst kind. He’s this incredibly charming guy who WAS very likable and incredibly insecure .

I heard that story about the guy interviewing him and he said OJ caught himself saying He Did It and then kind of corrects himself. If I had done it.

Tom Sizemore didn't want to do the scene in True Romance where the goon beats up Alabama, so he recommended James Gandolfini for the role, which became JG's big break. Sizemore ended up playing one of the cops

George Lucas was originally supppose to be the director for Apocalypse Now but was unable to due to another movie he was already set to work on....Star Wars

Harrison ford is in apocalypse now and his characters last name is Lucas.....a nod to George Lucas by FFC.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Listened to the Rewatchables podcast about No Country for Old Men (and then rewatched it this weekend):
  • Some may have forgotten by now, but this was Josh Brolin's late-career big break. He completely f***ed his shoulder in a motorcycle accident just before filming. He thought for sure he'd be out of a job. They wrote in a shoulder wound early in the story, and Brolin kept the part.
  • Kelly MacDonald is Scottish and she completely nails the unique southern accent.
  • Bill Hader was a guest on the pod and he said Barry is modeled after NCfOM. He said they wanted to match the Coens' tone about violence and treat it with an unglorified approach (for example, no triumphant music, or any music at all). It's weird that both are so different and that this uncinematic but thoughtful idea can work in either show.

Reactions: Volnbeers
On How Did This Get Made? they did an episode about Space Jam and they said that as of 2009, the movie had made $1.2B in merchandise revenue.

Pretty much every person that has played a Jedi post ROTJ has made lightsaber noises during filming. And some SW actors have made "pew pew" noises while shooting weapons.

On How Did This Get Made? they did an episode about Space Jam and they said that as of 2009, the movie had made $1.2B in merchandise revenue.
I’m trying to like that podcast but I’m struggling. Though I’m glad to finally figure out why a guy I grew up with would say “am I not turtlely enough for the turtle club?” I had no idea where that was from.

George Lucas was originally supppose to be the director for Apocalypse Now but was unable to due to another movie he was already set to work on....Star Wars

Harrison ford is in apocalypse now and his characters last name is Lucas.....a nod to George Lucas by FFC.
Thank God he was kept away from Apocalypse, he would have totally f'd that up.

Reactions: NEO
Gary Shandling told Judd Apatow that he had to end 40 YO Virgin showing Andy have sex because the entire point of the movie is that Andy's friends have bad relationships because their sex isn't based on love. Judd Apatow was thinking how the **** do we demonstrate that Andy has better and more meaningful sex in a funny way? and Carell came up with the song and dance idea.

Last edited:

I think it's common knowledge that Tom Selleck was the first choice to play Indiana Jones in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" but couldn't get out of his Magnum P.I. contract to make the movie. What probably isn't known is how much different that character would have been... much more of the scholarly, nerdy professor type instead of the rugged action hero. There is a screen test with Selleck as Indy and Sean Young as Marian on YouTube that looks kinda cheesy. Speilberg and Lucas caught a break with Selleck not being able to do it. Harrison Ford was much better.

Reactions: NEO

VN Store

Back