Weird Facts About Famous Movies

Joe Montana was on that team and he also confirmed no one turned in their jersey and that the crowd wasn't chanting for Rudy. The part about him getting a sack and being carried off the field was true.

They said the coaches talked to Rudy about what position he wanted to play but Rudy wasnt sure.

Joe Montana was on that team and he also confirmed no one turned in their jersey and that the crowd wasn't chanting for Rudy. The part about him getting a sack and being carried off the field was true.

Also, the maintenance guy who gives Rudy the key and comes to the game isn’t a real person. He’s supposed to be representative of all the different people that helped Rudy along the way. I do like the movie because it’s a good story and try not to accept it being mostly fabricated and sensationalized. Dan Devine is also supposed to be one of the nicest guys ever and he agreed to be the “heavy” for the movie.

Also, the maintenance guy who gives Rudy the key and comes to the game isn’t a real person. He’s supposed to be representative of all the different people that helped Rudy along the way. I do like the movie because it’s a good story and try not to accept it being mostly fabricated and sensationalized. Dan Devine is also supposed to be one of the nicest guys ever and he agreed to be the “heavy” for the movie.

He did but when he saw how bad they made him, he didn't like it.

As far as Fortune (maintenance guy), I really hate composite characters in "true" stories. I just finished "I Am The Night" and thought it was good, only to find out Chris Pine's character and story didn't exist. He was a composite of about a dozen men that helped the lead actress' character. I get it was a dramatization and not a documentary but it still cheapened it for me.

Jack Nicholson refused to wear a Red Sox hat for the Departed and inexplicably wore a Yankees hat because of his real life fandom. It's the all-time douche power move by an actor, and he did it to Scorsese. It's one of my favorite movies, but Nicholson was bad for the role. His accent wasn't very good and he was so over the top.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Moneyball is a pretty good more current baseball film.

Michael Lewis and Bill Simmons were talking about how Brad Pitt was obsessed with the movie because he's the Billy Beane of Hollywood. Lewis didn't want the movie to get made. He thought he was getting free $ and that they would never option it, but Pitt heard the studio owned the rights and pushed it.

Bradd Pitt is a great character actor, he's not a great leading man but everyone always wants him to be a leading man because of his unparalleled looks, stature, and name. Hence, he is BB.

Reactions: McDad
Last Tango in Paris, the rape/butter scene. They did not tell Maria Schneider it was going to happen. The director claims he told her at the last minute, but she denies it.

Jack Nicholson refused to wear a Red Sox hat for the Departed and inexplicably wore a Yankees hat because of his real life fandom. It's the all-time douche power move by an actor, and he did it to Scorsese. It's one of my favorite movies, but Nicholson was bad for the role. His accent wasn't very good and he was so over the top.

He should’ve worn a Lakers cap too in the ultimate double douche move to Bostonians.

This is also one of my all time favorite movies. This kind of cemented that DiCaprio is one of my top 3 favorite actors.

One of my favorite movies is Goodfellas. I have read "Wise Guy" by Nicholas Pileggi from which it was based and I have read everything I can find about the making of the movie.
  • Warner Brothers wanted Tom Cruise to play Henry Hill and Madonna (yep!) to play Karen. After seeing Ray Liotta in "Something Wild", Martin Scorsese insisted on him.
  • It was actually Gambino crime boss John Gotti who is believed to have killed the real life Tommy. Gotti had a hand in many of the crimes which took place in Goodfellas but since Gotti was still alive and the producers (and even Scorsese) were admittedly afraid of him, they never mention his name.
  • The actor who played the young Henry (Christopher Serrano) never appeared in another movie despite receiving some good offers, including one from Scorsese who wanted him for a role in "A Bronx Tale". Serrano had auditioned for the role that Brendan Fraser played in "School Ties" and he was so discouraged when he didn't get it, that he quit acting altogether.
  • Pauley (Paul Sorvino) slaps Henry in the face while warning him to stop dealing cocaine, that wasn't in the script and Liotta's shocked reaction was exactly what Sorvino was going for.
  • The name of the movie was changed to avoid confusion with a really bad television series that was on CBS at the time. That's kind of a shame because nobody remembers that show nowadays. "Wise Guy" would have made more sense as a title than "Goodfellas".
  • The real life Henry Hill was kicked out of the witness protection program for telling too many people that the movie was his life.

If you like the podcast How Did This Get Made?, Bloodsport is one of the better episodes. One of my favorite jokes is that they point out when Frank was a kid he is wearing a NY Giants shirt and SF Giants hat and the riff was "I guess he just really likes giants"

Not sure if many of you remember the 1993 movie "The Program"...but if you saw it in the theater, there was a scene involving the Heisman Trophy candidate Joe Kane laying down in the center of a heavily trafficked road after coming out of the bar with his teammates. The scene was deleted and not available on the VHS, DVD or any other release after two separate incidents happened in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, in which one person was killed and others were hurt after mimicking the scene. The scene is available on YouTube.

Not sure if many of you remember the 1993 movie "The Program"...but if you saw it in the theater, there was a scene involving the Heisman Trophy candidate Joe Kane laying down in the center of a heavily trafficked road after coming out of the bar with his teammates. The scene was deleted and not available on the VHS, DVD or any other release after two separate incidents happened in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, in which one person was killed and others were hurt after mimicking the scene. The scene is available on YouTube.

I remember that, I had that poster on my bedroom wall in college.

Another fun fact on that movie - several of the football scenes were filmed at halftime of the 1992 UT/South Carolina game in Columbia. I, and many others, make an uncredited appearance in the movie. The directors spent halftime filming plays and telling us when to cheer and boo before each take.

Another fun fact on that movie - several of the football scenes were filmed at halftime of the 1992 UT/South Carolina game in Columbia. I, and many others, make an uncredited appearance in the movie. The directors spent halftime filming plays and telling us when to cheer and boo before each take.

Didn’t we lose that F’ing game to South Carolina?

If you like the podcast How Did This Get Made?, Bloodsport is one of the better episodes. One of my favorite jokes is that they point out when Frank was a kid he is wearing a NY Giants shirt and SF Giants hat and the riff was "I guess he just really likes giants"
That was a really funny episode.

I saw that movie IN the theater WITH that scene included! I was so pissed when I learned they took it out.

I actually got to meet the actor who played "Lattimer" (Andrew Bryniarski). He was every bit as enormous in real life as he was in the movie.

Last edited:
Jaws is my all time favorite film! Besides the facts that have already been posted, here's a few more...

1. The animosity between Hooper and Quint on screen was not acting. Robert Shaw and Richard Dryfus couldn't stand each other. Shaw constantly f'cked with Dryfus on set, telling him things like "Well Richard you know, if there's a large demand for short, Jewish, character actors you could potentially have a pretty good career." LMAO!

2. The tiger shark that the locals caught and mistook for the killer shark was not a prop. It was in fact real. It had been caught just off the coast of Martha's Vinyard (where it the movie was filmed) during shooting so they used it in the scene.

3. The opening underwater scene where you first hear the theme song was originally supposed to be shot from within the shark's mouth but technology at the time just couldn't make it work.

4. Ellen Brody was played by Lorraine Gary. She was the wife of Universal Studios executive Sidney Sheinberg who had basically "discovered" Stephen Spielberg. While Lorraine is great in the role, her getting it was obviously an act of nepotism.

5. Scuba tanks do not in fact explode when shot. This was a huge point of contention on set between Spielberg and Jaws author Peter Benchley. Peter was sure that movie-goers would call bullsh_t on that fact (in the book, the shark just dies from it's wounds). However Spielberg insisted that movie-goers wouldn't care and it would be a fantastic ending to the film. I guess we know now who was right!

6. The shark in Jaws was named "Bruce" after Spielberg's lawyer Bruce Raymer.

7. The FX company that built the shark was also responsible for building the giant octopus in Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

8. The underwater scene where Richard Dreyfus sees the fisherman's head roll out of the hole was completely spontaneous. Spielberg did not tell Dreyfus that was going to happen in order to get a real response from him.

VN Store

Back