Weird Facts About Famous Movies

In the movie version of "Lemon Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events", in the scene where Count Olaf meets the children for the first time and Olaf stops and says "Wait give me that line again", that was not scripted. It was Jim Carrey actually asking to start over but he stayed in character so they just kept going and decided it worked and left it in.

I love weird stories about classic films.

Just learned from the Rewatchables pod that Good Will Hunting was supposed to be a spy movie. What we saw was only the first half of the movie. The script had him becoming a hero with his genius, putting it to good use. Somebody read the script and essentially said "you have two different movies here, idiots."

What you got?

I think my favorite story about that movie is the scene where Robin Williams makes Matt Damon laugh, it was Robin Williams ad-libbing a story. Matt Damon was actually breaking and if you watch you can see the camera shake a bit because the cameraman is laughing too.

Reactions: McDad
I know so many facts about Godfather because I obsessed about that movie for like 5 years. Need to shake loose my memory:
  • Brando just picked up a random studio alley cat for the iconic opening scene with Bonasera.
  • Brando was washed. People thought that a has-been winning the role was an indication it was not going to be a quality film. He was hard to work with. He refused to memorize lines. You can see production stills with Duvall wearing cue cards on his belly so that Brando could read his lines, and the camera shot Duvall from the chest up.
  • The Italian Defamation League tried to get the movie blackballed.
  • Mob movies had been passe for years. Hollywood was declining all of them, and Paramount only optioned Godfather because Love Story had been ridiculously successful and they had money to blow.
  • John Cazale (Fredo) only had 5 significant roles in his life, and all 5 movies were nominated for best picture (Deerhunter, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon), and 3 won. He had the Midas touch before lung cancer took him.

I watched Godfather and started II last night. All time favorites I haven't seen in about a year or so. Only things I know, I'm sure you do too, is in the first one Anthony as a baby was actually Sofia Coppola and Johnny Fontane was based on Frank Sinatra, and he, Frank was pissed about it.

I watched Godfather and started II last night. All time favorites I haven't seen in about a year or so. Only things I know, I'm sure you do too, is in the first one Anthony as a baby was actually Sofia Coppola and Johnny Fontane was based on Frank Sinatra, and he, Frank was pissed about it.
Francis Ford Coppola had nothing against nepotism. Talia Shire (Connie) is his sister and Sofia was cast in The Godfather III (disastrously).

The green code characters used in The Matrix were scanned from Japanese sushi cookbooks that the developer's wife (who is from Japan) owned.

Reactions: McDad
This one is a personal favorite:

David Fincher thought that the propagation of Starbucks on every corner was too much of a good thing. So, he included a Starbucks cup in every scene of Fight Club.

One exception - he wanted to destroy a Starbucks during the movie but the company would not let him. So, he destroyed Gratifico Coffee instead.

a6ktltkkrlw21.jpg

I love weird stories about classic films.

Just learned from the Rewatchables pod that Good Will Hunting was supposed to be a spy movie. What we saw was only the first half of the movie. The script had him becoming a hero with his genius, putting it to good use. Somebody read the script and essentially said "you have two different movies here, idiots."

What you got?
Bourne Identity?

It's unknown but they told me out on the golf course. :)

Its been years since I read it and I got the facts wrong, sorry. Tom Cruise had a cameo in Young Guns and was a cowboy that got shot in that big shoot out at the end.
Bon Jovi was in 2 and was a guy on a horse that got shot and fell into the pit.

This video shows both at the beginning it will show a still of Cruise then the scene is at 1:42. Same with Bon Jovi and his scene is at 3:18.

Also realized this was for "famous" movies, I guess this doesn't really apply, but they are 2 of my favorites.

Both are great flicks and famous to anyone who remembers when MTV actually played videos.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The original which in WOZ was accident set on fire and died
Disney VHS tales are full of hidden messages causing Disney to make complete development changes.

Speaking of Jaws:

Richard Dreyfuss' character, Hooper, dies in the novel and was supposed to die in the film. A second unit team in Australia filmed a real great white attacking a shark cage with a dummy inside that was supposed to stand-in for Dreyfuss. However, the dummy fell out of the cage almost instantly. The footage of the attack was too good to try and recapture, so the script was rewritten so that the character was no longer in the cage while the shark dismantled it.

Sorry to spoil the ending of a 44 year old film.

Might not be a new one to many but the Michael Myers mask for Halloween is actually a slightly modified Captain Kirk mask.
Psycho is the first US film that actually featured a toilet flushing.
Toto made more money on The Wizard of Oz than the munchkins.

Reactions: Volnbeers
The Graduate (1967): When Ben Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) yells "What the f*** are you doing?" at Elaine (Katherine Ross) while she is standing at the alter, that was the first time that the f-word was ever used in a major motion picture. Hoffman has frequently boasted about this in interviews, including on Late Night with David Letterman.

The Graduate (1967): When Ben Braddock (Dustin Hoffman) yells "What the f*** are you doing?" at Elaine (Katherine Ross) while she is standing at the alter, that was the first time that the f-word was ever used in a major motion picture. Hoffman has frequently boasted about this in interviews, including on Late Night with David Letterman.

I've heard that before, but I think it's an urban myth. F*** is definitely said in the film Vapors, and that came out in '63.

I'm also fairly certain there is an old Boris Karloff movie where it is said. Maybe from the '30s?

I've heard that before, but I think it's an urban myth. F*** is definitely said in the film Vapors, and that came out in '63.

I'm also fairly certain there is an old Boris Karloff movie where it is said. Maybe from the '30s?

I don't think Vapors is a feature-length film. I think the operative word is "major".

I don't think Vapors is a feature-length film. I think the operative word is "major".

That still might be splitting hairs, because I don't think you can actually hear Hoffman say it in The Graduate. You can certainly read his lips.

Perhaps M.A.S.H. is the first time it actually makes the soundtrack in an American film? It's said in Ulysses, which came out arounr the time of the Graduate, but is a British production.

Speaking of Hoffman, in Midnight Cowboy when he does the famous "Hey, we're walking here!" line, that wasn't scripted. They didn't have a permit to film and were filming using a hidden camera in a van. They had gone through several takes and were about done and a taxi ran a red light. Hoffman wanted to yell "Hey, we're filming here!" but at the last second remembered to stay in character and yelled "Hey we're walking here!"

VN Store

Back