Week 2 CFP - Vols ranked 5th

It is a total wash regarding viewership most of the West coast could give a crap about college football. So what you are thinking will add to the viewership could easily decrease it. As stated numerous times the Media does not control the CFP selection so they will select accordingly. Oregon will probably get in as a 4 Seed but there are too many scenarios to address.
Yeah, I'm not tuning in for a UGA-Oregon rematch. Some will say they wouldn't tune it for a UGA-TN rematch, and many won't, but it was the most viewed college football game this season for a reason. I think the media would push the narrative enough that it will be a different game on a neutral field and people would be interested... especially if we roast Missouri and USCe.

I'm a little worried about a let down against Missouri though... need to make sure we handle our business.

It is a total wash regarding viewership most of the West coast could give a crap about college football. So what you are thinking will add to the viewership could easily decrease it. As stated numerous times the Media does not control the CFP selection so they will select accordingly. Oregon will probably get in as a 4 Seed but there are too many scenarios to address.
SEC fans will watch regardless. The number of additional fans across the country will depend on whether there are teams from other areas.
Yes, the media doesn't control the CFP selection but there will be a lot of "back door" pressure for a team from the west to be picked for the above reason.

I'd say, get ready playoffs, we're coming for ya, anybody can lose any week, even us, even the mighty 'Dawgs. Somebody is gonna fall in the top 7 every week from here on out.

If we win out 90%, chance we get in.

But we haven't done our part, chances one of these next ones will be a real thriller, I'm thinking Carolina on the road at night.

The only way Tennessee doesnt get in is if TCU wins out or we lose again. I see us as a 3 playing OSU and Oregon or USC playing Georgia.

Reactions: bpalmer28
# 5 is a great spot for week 2. You know #2 & #3 have yet to play each other and with their scedule resume will fall below UT when the loss comes. And TCU is not a lock to win out. Texas is lurking down low in the Top 25, but TCU better be ready to play that game, as well as Baylor. Either or both of those games could be L's for TCU. So far Sonny has had them ready, but both teams will be looking to knock TCU out.

The only way Tennessee doesnt get in is if TCU wins out or we lose again. I see us as a 3 playing OSU and Oregon or USC playing Georgia.
Your underestimating the conference title games. If we play close to anyone left and another team is playing well down the stretch they take that into account. They’ve said as much. Already laying the groundwork for a Fing!

It's OK if TCU does win out. Still got the OSO/Mich game and that loser will go to number 5. THe schedule dymanics don't measure up to UT. THey have more wins against Top 25 teams this year than any other.

In 2 years we should go every year when they go to the 12 team playoff. Eventually in my opinion they will go to a 24 team playoff like the FCS and do away with all bowl games.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
SEC fans will watch regardless. The number of additional fans across the country will depend on whether there are teams from other areas.
Yes, the media doesn't control the CFP selection but there will be a lot of "back door" pressure for a team from the west to be picked for the above reason.
I think not if all is done the way it was intended and Resumes are reviewed and compared as they should be done. No reason to believe it will not be with the Committee, no matter what the outside pressure is placed on them.

Do you think the CFP committee is heavily influenced by ESPN? Still have us at 5. Gonna be a scary ride, but if we both end up with 1 loss and that loss is to a 3rd ranked common opponent, where they lost by 46 at a neutral site and we lost by 14 on their field, then some soul searching will have to go on. Can they earn passing us if we don't help with an underwhelming performance? The weight of PAC12 and ACC league performance is what it is and that is in our favor. Who do they have to match our Bama and LSU wins? Does a conference championship in a conference being gutted by defections trump our position? HOPEFULLY we will close out strong and see.
Cfp committee said that Oregon vs UGA and Tennessee vs UGA were both one sided. He even implied that the UGA game is worse for Tennessee as Oregon have won 8 in a row. Then he said reason Tennessee is 5 not Oregon because of their big wins vs LSU, Bama and Kentucky. Oregon only beat UCLA. End of the day I think it is crystal clear that Oregon wins out it will be ahead of Tennessee.

Cfp committee said that Oregon vs UGA and Tennessee vs UGA were both one sided. He even implied that the UGA game is worse for Tennessee as Oregon have won 8 in a row. Then he said reason Tennessee is 5 not Oregon because of their big wins vs LSU, Bama and Kentucky. Oregon only beat UCLA. End of the day I think it is crystal clear that Oregon wins out it will be ahead of Tennessee.
No doubt. Justified or not, if Oregon has only one loss they're in.

Believe it or not. TV ratings gonna have a lot to do with it. Tennessee gets a huge draw. That may not makes sense to some but it’s true .

This guy nails what the selection committee is doing.

The College Football Playoff Committee Is Just Making **** Up As It Goes Along | Barstool Sports

Reactions: Aussie Vol
Well yea

However that wasn’t part of my statement.

My statement was “only” about the committee having Bama ahead of TCU last week.

Now Tennessee has a better SOS than Bama had, better SOR than Bama had, better wins than Bama had……..better everything. Just saying that’s hard for them to explain…….rather they really “can’t” explain.

Who gets in……..at the end will all take care of itself……..I was simply making that statement.

They simply give (obviously) Bama more than their due, and didn’t give Tennessee the same although Tennessee had actually “earned” more than Bama had last week.

Good points. But, sometimes I think we read too much into the weekly ratings put out by the playoff committee. Those ratings only reflect games played to that point of course. So, for TCU to go undefeated would mean their strength of schedule will go up significantly and their record will be an extra game won. So, it's all really a moot point in a way, unless they decide to pick the four playoff teams next Monday, lol.

Yes, it's show business and TV revenue. That's why they'll put a Pac 12 team in if possible. Having a west coast team in will increase the interest and number of viewers across the country. Like it or not....right or wrong.....people are tired of an seeing teams from the same part of the country in the playoffs year after year.
Addendum: You're correct about SEC games having the most viewers in games during the season but the playoffs are different. SEC fans will watch regardless but the number of viewers across the country will depend on whether a team from a different area are playing.

But it doesn't and the numbers prove that out. Two SEC teams playing each other blow out of the water any Pac 12 team on the screen. Viewership goes down when West Coast teams are in the game, not up. There is no increase. If TCU played Oregon the viewer numbers would be terrible compared to any SEC team playing either of them and even worse compared to a Tennessee Georgia rematch, which is the highest viewed college sporting event all year.

Good points. But, sometimes I think we read too much into the weekly ratings put out by the playoff committee. Those ratings only reflect games played to that point of course. So, for TCU to go undefeated would mean their strength of schedule will go up significantly and their record will be an extra game won. So, it's all really a moot point in a way, unless they decide to pick the four playoff teams next Monday, lol.

No doubt

TCU will go up (if they win)

And unfortunately Tennessee’s numbers will go down a bit…….simply because who is left on the schedule.

He really equated a two TD loss to a 6 TD loss? They gave up 21 2nd half points to our 3. What was his name? I heard an ESPN guy try that line, but had not heard a CFP member said that.

I hate USC and Riley. I would, however, love to see them get turd stomped by Georgia. Tennessee couldn't be in a much better situation at this point with the loss to Georgia. Win out and everything should take care of itself with at minimum #4 seed.

Sorry if already discussed but why is a 2 loss Bama team 2 positions above a 1 loss Ole Miss team?

My guess is the CFP is shooting for this scenario:
1) UGA
2) OSU/Mich winner
3) UT
4) Oregon/USC

This is their ideal situation. My rationale is:

• They clearly have given conflicting reasons on why they are choosing teams in certain rankings and this will allow them to navigate this to their advantage for the final rankings.
  • Dropping UT to #5 means they can drop the OSU/Mich loser out under this precedent.
  • They appeased TCU at #4 giving them a chance with the ultimate belief they will lose (let's hope this happens and it should). They clearly don't want them in the playoffs as evidenced by the first ranking.
  • Everyone is hyping Oregon so that Oregon can get in or USC can get in for upsetting such a great team.
This makes it the best two teams in the SEC, The Big Ten winner and the PAC-12 winner.

VN Store

Back