Week 2 CFP - Vols ranked 5th

How is it ignorant when the committee has done more ignorant than what he's suggesting? Lol.

I could have totally seen an undefeated Clemson get in because they've been a fixture there and an undefeated TCU not get in over a 1 loss Tennessee team with its resume. That seems pretty likely to me. I think some of you are just annoyed by his arrogance in claiming its a lock.

But we'll all see at the same time.

Claiming it’s a lock is ignorant. Yes. He’s attempting to proclaim things he doesn’t/can’t know because there’s too many variables.

Reactions: Behr
The TCU issue is irrelevant. They win out 13-0, they are in. The lose anywhere, and their out. 100% monochrome.

Well yea

However that wasn’t part of my statement.

My statement was “only” about the committee having Bama ahead of TCU last week.

Now Tennessee has a better SOS than Bama had, better SOR than Bama had, better wins than Bama had……..better everything. Just saying that’s hard for them to explain…….rather they really “can’t” explain.

Who gets in……..at the end will all take care of itself……..I was simply making that statement.

They simply give (obviously) Bama more than their due, and didn’t give Tennessee the same although Tennessee had actually “earned” more than Bama had last week.

Reactions: livefaith
Not crying. He's right. The committee will jump all over Oregon if they finish with only 1 loss. They don't want 2 teams from the SEC in the playoffs. Might not like it, but that's reality.
They’re going to get 2 SEC teams and Oregon if they win out... if they Oregon doesn’t win out, they may get 2 SEC teams and 2 Big 10 teams.

TCU won’t make it past Saturday, IMO.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again.
We have 3 threats to us. 2 at least must be eliminated for us to get in, preferably all 3. They are:

1. An undefeated TCU;
2. A one loss loser of Ohio State/Michigan in a close, entertaining game, say 35-34, especially if that loser is Ohio State;
3. A one loss PAC12 champ, especially if it's Southern Cal.

Watch Michigan at Illinois next week. They aren't a great team, but they're at home and they've held 6 teams to 10 points or less.

I believe TCU will get beat. Oregon is the team or any team from the PAC is what scares me. It’s obvious espn is setting the stage to push for another team from out west. One even said how do we get a team from there in

We're in a good spot. TCU loses and we're in. If OSU/UM is a blowout either way we'll probably be in too.

I will be pulling for OSU for the first time ever when they play Michigan. I feel like we jump Michigan if they loose but not so certain we would jump OSU. Assuming we take care of business, a TCU loss to Texas could open the door for a spot at 3rd for us when it's all said and done.

One thing the committee cannot explain……last week Bama had the edge over TCU.

This week Tennessee does NOT have the edge over TCU.

Although Tennessee has a better SOS than Bama had. Tennessee has a better SOR than BAMA had, and Tennessee has better wins than Bama had…..no way whatsoever to justify that.

Not saying they cannot justify TCU over Tennessee……simply what I said.

By the way TCU has an SOR of 4 and SOS of 68

Tennessee SOR of 2 and SOS of 2
Exactly right. And our potential only loss will be to the undisputed #1 team yet they may screw us out of the playoffs so they can get someone out west in

The pac 12 kind of worries me. The committee seems to be really over valuing that league. How I see it playing out.

-GA
-Undefeated Big 10 champ
-1 loss pac 12 champ
-Undefeated big 12 champ

If PAC 12 champ has 2 losses, no way they get in over TN. If Big 12 champ has a loss… no way they get in.

A lot of football to be played….. TN is the top ranked 1 loss team in the country. They have several ways in…. Great position to be in.

They won't make it. They have around a 25 percent chance of beating Texas according to FPI, which has been pretty accurate this year when its at 70+ percent. The other computer prediction site I look at has Texas at a 68 percent chance to win. It's something like 241-102 when it predicts a team in the 60-69% range. Both models picked Georgia last week and the second model I'm referring to picked Georgia by 12 or 13 points.
What link is this?

Agreed but even if Oregon doesn’t lose another game I think UT is in over them.
I lean that way too but it would certainly be close. We need our better wins to keep winning, such as Bama beating Ole Miss, LSU beating Arkansas, Pitt winning out, etc. because at the end of the day the committee will probably weight our wins against theirs more than the single game loss to UGA. The loss will carry some weight for sure but so will Oregon being a conference champ so we need our wins (Bama, at LSU, UK, at Pitt, etc.) to look better than theirs if they win out (maybe a 1-loss USC, Utah, at UCLA, at Oregon St, etc.). Ultimately it won’t matter anyway as TCU will lose and we will also jump the loser of Ohio St/Michigan. So us vs Oregon would be about who’s 3 and who’s 4 most likely. I actually think all those Pac12 teams will pick up another loss too though.

Claiming it’s a lock is ignorant. Yes. He’s attempting to proclaim things he doesn’t/can’t know because there’s too many variables.
Okay. People do that here all the time not sure why this is bothering you as bad as it seems to be. I mean, usually it's people guaranteeing bad or negative things. How many "we will lose to Florida" posts did you argue with? I suppose you'll say "none because we usually do and it was likely". That's fair but they "didn't know" and it turns out they were wrong.

I agree, he doesn't know. I hope he's right.

jVp.gif

We're in a good spot. TCU loses and we're in. If OSU/UM is a blowout either way we'll probably be in too.

Many huddles for us to clear going forward but if LSU wins the SEC and WE ARE DONE bud.

CRAPPING the bed Saturday has put us in this position.

Really what it boils down to is TCU has to lose one game. The rest doesn’t matter as loser of OSU/UM will drop out. Oregon can win and it won’t affect our chances since 2 spots will open up with TCU dropping a game and the big 10 battle.

I agree. The ESPN team are heavily pushing Oregon's agenda. Loads of other factors too! Have to win out with style points and have a few things go into place.

Do you think the CFP committee is heavily influenced by ESPN? Still have us at 5. Gonna be a scary ride, but if we both end up with 1 loss and that loss is to a 3rd ranked common opponent, where they lost by 46 at a neutral site and we lost by 14 on their field, then some soul searching will have to go on. Can they earn passing us if we don't help with an underwhelming performance? The weight of PAC12 and ACC league performance is what it is and that is in our favor. Who do they have to match our Bama and LSU wins? Does a conference championship in a conference being gutted by defections trump our position? HOPEFULLY we will close out strong and see.

How in the world can LSU even be considered a possibility of getting in the playoff???
We stomped them!!

Why? The Pac 12 is dead. Its just a walking corpse with no power right now. It has no power because it doesn't deliver television eyeballs. You know why there's a playoff? Television money. The committee should strongly want 2 or even 3 SEC teams. We deliver television eyeballs. By far and away the most watched football games each week are SEC games. Not even the Big 10 comes close.
Yes, it's show business and TV revenue. That's why they'll put a Pac 12 team in if possible. Having a west coast team in will increase the interest and number of viewers across the country. Like it or not....right or wrong.....people are tired of an seeing teams from the same part of the country in the playoffs year after year.
Addendum: You're correct about SEC games having the most viewers in games during the season but the playoffs are different. SEC fans will watch regardless but the number of viewers across the country will depend on whether a team from a different area are playing.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree with you more. Obviously I don’t know and have never met Jimbo so I may be mistaken, but he does kinda comes off as a fraud and a jerk. I also really like Pittman, he comes off as a really good person and a good coach.

So what’s your thoughts? Will aTm give Jimbo another year or so bc of an enormous buy out, or are they ready to cut ties? They are certainly not where they expected to be right now.
I’m not sure but I’m curious to see if that high-profile class of theirs sticks around or not lol.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
Yes, it's show business and TV revenue. That's why they'll put a Pac 12 team in if possible. Having a west coast team in will increase the interest and number of viewers across the country. Like it or not....right or wrong.....people are tired of an seeing teams from the same part of the country in the playoffs year after year.
Addendum: You're correct about SEC games having the most viewers in games during the season but the playoffs are different.
It is a total wash regarding viewership most of the West coast could give a crap about college football. So what you are thinking will add to the viewership could easily decrease it. As stated numerous times the Media does not control the CFP selection so they will select accordingly. Oregon will probably get in as a 4 Seed but there are too many scenarios to address.

VN Store

Back