Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

I had to stop at the end of the first sentence.

So, BYU has a message board? And, they are using it to call people "wussy"?

And, I thought we had issues in the baseball forum.

The BYU message board must’ve been hopped up on Diet Coke and sugary cereal today

Reactions: Jax_Vol
There’s nothing to gain going out to Utah to stomp a mud hole in BYU country. There’s nothing to gain stomping a mud hole in Nashville with a Virginia team, except more Vol fans will be able to attend the game in Nashville. So, there’s that.

To buy out an away game to play a game in an NFL stadium makes sense. Nice recruiting tool to lure NFL talent to the state.

That sounds like fun. Both teams will have a lot of new faces then.

We'll find out if Tony Elliott is head coach material by then. He actually did pretty well at Clemson with a mediocre O Line and a mediocre QB room last season.

Disappointed in the at BYU dropped game

Not for the look, as everybody knows TN will play anyone anywhere any time

Instead, only Vols game I could actually drive to living here in Denver

Reactions: ATC_VOL

I hope your success is as narrow as your tolerance for others. 😂 I served and fought for my freedom to worship how I choose, just as I fought for your freedom to say whatever thing you may choose. Maybe you'd like the opportunity to practice your freedom of speech face to face? PM me. I'd love that, and I'll come to you....

I get your point (and don't like religious slurs either), but....speaking of intolerant. Wow.

"The one thing I can't stand is an intolerant person!"

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I've been to Provo and the BYU stadium. It's nothing spectacular and that area gave me some weird vibes. I was there for grad school orientation as a satellite campus for the Univ of North Texas. The next semester I transferred to THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE at KNOXVILLE. Best decision I ever made.
My daughter graduated from UNT Saturday.

Disappointed in the at BYU dropped game

Not for the look, as everybody knows TN will play anyone anywhere any time

Instead, only Vols game I could actually drive to living here in Denver
This is the only draw back for getting out of the game. Vol fans that will miss the opportunity of going to the game since it’s been moved to Nashville.

The revenge factor is a joke. Team A beats Team B’s historical worst team ever in a close game. Toot toot your horn BYU.

Religious slur? If you aren’t being persecuted for your religious beliefs, you might be doing it wrong. Unless you are openly being a hypocrite, then you are definitely doing it wrong. The world hates God and all of his people.

I got rattled a long time ago and a poster asked for my address. I was so close to giving him my brother’s address just so I could read about it in the paper.

This is the only draw back for getting out of the game. Vol fans that will miss the opportunity of going to the game since it’s been moved to Nashville.

The revenge factor is a joke. Team A beats Team B’s historical worst team ever in a close game. Toot toot your horn BYU.

Religious slur? If you aren’t being persecuted for your religious beliefs, you might be doing it wrong. Unless you are openly being a hypocrite, then you are definitely doing it wrong. The world hates God and all of his people.

I got rattled a long time ago and a poster asked for my address. I was so close to giving him my brother’s address just so I could read about it in the paper.

On a different message board, there was a guy who would send people to random addresses like parking lots or open fields whenever someone would say “I’ll come to you” or some other nonsense.

You’d be surprised what psychopaths will drive several hours over a single comment on a message board

BYU message boards calling us scared and wussy. Saying we didn’t want to come to Provo and lose. BYU is ranked ahead of us, UK, Pitt and even USC in the preseason rankings. Where is UVA? Oh that’s right nowhere. BYU is a much better football program than UVA. You can try to put a positive spin on this all you want. But it’s a bad look and we will get rightfully roasted by the sports media. From mustard bottles to now buying out of games. This is freaking pathetic.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/t...m_Down.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20190614041201

And some will try to justify anything

What is to justify?

Is this NOT another opportunity to get in front of recruiting targets in the critical Middle TN area? Maybe a neutral geme in the Charlotte NFL stadium could be challenged.

Are there more targets in Virginia or Utah regions to follow the story line for the next year?

Do we make more money NET playing VA in Nashville or BYU out there? How many travel and other logistics dollars are saved?

Are we better off having an ACC team or a transitioning team on our schedule?

Do the citizens in Tennessee make more money with a game in Nashville or Utah. Maybe we can leverage some extra NIL dollars for our collectives with some pre-game fund raisers.

Do more fans get to attend a game in Nashville or Utah?

You have to wonder if Whte is secretly enjoying outing the trolls and emotionally challenged folks wearing ORANGE. It will be interesting to see the ticket allotments negotiated for this game and the pressure in the secondary markets. The total will be a referendum on the wisdom of this move by our AD. You are what your bank account says you are, Anybody selling DUCKING a BYU away game over DUCKING less money and less recruiting exposure for the first game of a season is telling.

On a different message board, there was a guy who would send people to random addresses like parking lots or open fields whenever someone would say “I’ll come to you” or some other nonsense.

You’d be surprised what psychopaths will drive several hours over a single comment on a message board
The best part is I would have had to have given directions rather than my brother’s address. I know how to get there, but haven’t used his address in forever. Somewhere in the direction there’s got be a part if you see “X”, you’ve gone past the turn.

Well crap. I had been looking forward to going out to Utah. I have never been out there. Guess I’ll make the drive to Nashville now.
Same. I’ve had this marked as my vacation for a couple of years now. Disappointed

Reactions: ATC_VOL
This game buyout stuff is a 2-way street. My understanding of these contracts is BYU had to agree to it also. As the article said, they already have a road game at Arky and would have to play 2 SEC teams at the beginning of the season so they didn't mind getting out of the game either.

I get it why ADs make these agreements and arrangements and schedule these games many years in advance, but at what point is it actually costing us more money than saving?

Kind of like buying 5 pounds of bananas for $2.50 versus buying 1 pound at $1...yeah the 5 is the better deal but you'll never eat them all before they go bad.

Great for recruiting but we owe BYU!!!
That's what broke my heart about it. I wanted payback. I also don't like the aspect that they held up their end of the bargain and came and played at our place and then we backed out of doing the same. Oh well, I guess that's why we're paying them, they were willing to take money in recompense.

How about if we send Army to play at BYU?

Trust me on this...IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

We can pay BYU $2 million and still make more money with an extra home game in Nashville.

In turn, we can use that to buy more 5 star NIL deals.
exactly. i hate it. but yes, a home game in nashville against the acc will still make a profit even after a $2 mil buyout

Reactions: Jax_Vol

VN Store

Back