Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

Their band requested help in carrying dead, bloated Elvis off the field.

They asked for Volunteers.

We all said, "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I enjoyed kicking their azz that night, and look forward to doing it again in Nashville.
I was there. I'm by no means an Elvis fan, but I thought UVA band's halftime performance was intentionally condescending and rude, very offending. I would hope their band is not allowed to perform at halftime.

I was there. I'm by no means an Elvis fan, but I thought UVA band's halftime performance was intentionally condescending and rude, very offending. I would hope their band is not allowed to perform at halftime.

Yes! You are exactly right. They were trying extremely hard to be condescending, hip, and rule. And, probably asked to go after the POTS to poke fun at their skill set.

I hope they bring the band to Nashville. We shall fill their tuba's with bottles of mustard. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly. i hate it. but yes, a home game in nashville against the acc will still make a profit even after a $2 mil buyout

Just to round things off, 70,000 tickets at $100 pop = $7 million. And, they make that much again with the advertising, merchandise, etc. Will probably open more mid-state checkbooks for NIL.

Provo Utah is not a recruiting source, and we would perhaps break even on the travel.

By 2023, Virginia may have a better team than BYU. Either will probably be a toss-up with the average Vols team of last 15 years.

And, at halftime, Ashley Manning (UVA Grad) can teach Peyton Manning how to open a can of soup.

Just to round things off, 70,000 tickets at $100 pop = $7 million. And, they make that much again with the advertising, merchandise, etc. Will probably open more mid-state checkbooks for NIL.

Provo Utah is not a recruiting source, and we would perhaps break even on the travel.

By 2023, Virginia may have a better team than BYU. Either will probably be a toss-up with the average Vols team of last 15 years.

And, at halftime, Ashley Manning (UVA Grad) can teach Peyton Manning how to open a can of soup.

And, at halftime, Ashley Manning (UVA Grad) can teach Peyton Manning how to open a can of soup.[/QUOTE]
OR order a pizza......

Reactions: Jax_Vol
I’m for this move. Has good recruiting implications in the Virginia area. Save boat loads on travel costs. We own nashville, The stadium will be full of orange instead of blue. I bet the 2 mil we pay out we get back 2 fold. Win win situation for byu and Vols.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Makes sense.

Tennessee likely makes better money. Way easier game since there is little to no travel. Virginia is more relevant to regional recruiting than BYU. I hate backing out of any game but we need to start having more relevant OOC games to help ourselves. Traveling across country doesn’t help this program and an sec schedule is hard enough.
Agreed on ooc games but not on traveling across country. I’d be up for playing in a recruiting hot bed like California, as these days if you want to get top 5 classes, you typically have to go out and grab some players you normally wouldn’t. Even with better football in tennessee than in the past, we need to recruit nationally. But I do agree that I have no idea why we ever scheduled teams like byu, Montana, etc.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My understanding is that the Virginia band no longer performs "garbage shows". I remember that debacle. Disgusting.

Makes sense.

Tennessee likely makes better money. Way easier game since there is little to no travel. Virginia is more relevant to regional recruiting than BYU. I hate backing out of any game but we need to start having more relevant OOC games to help ourselves. Traveling across country doesn’t help this program and an sec schedule is hard enough.
And let's be honest and admit that the NIL has redirected monies away from the schools that they'd ordinarily have eyes and hands on. Schools have always been focused on the money, but NIL makes it even more important that they reevaluate every decision in terms of dollars. I have no doubt UT making this change is because of the money. Yeah, we can tout shorter drives for our fans and recruiting, but at the end of the day, it's always going to come down to the money.

And let's be honest and admit that the NIL has redirected monies away from the schools that they'd ordinarily have eyes and hands on. Schools have always been focused on the money, but NIL makes it even more important that they reevaluate every decision in terms of dollars. I have no doubt UT making this change is because of the money. Yeah, we can tout shorter drives for our fans and recruiting, but at the end of the day, it's always going to come down to the money.

Yup, in the eyes of AD White...it is a money thing IMHO.

You’re absolutely right. While I would love a trip to Utah this does more for regional branding and the NIL.

Reactions: feathersax
My thoughts exactly. Somethings rotten in Denmark.

The issue is the contract allowed Tennessee to retain the gate at Neyland (less expenses for BYU) and BYU would keep the gate at Provo (less expenses for Tennessee). Yes, BYU probably wants out but not to completely walk from $2m. Tennessee pays the $2m, gets $3m or more to play in Nashville, nets a cool million plus. If and when the money comes out for Tennessee in the Nashville game, it will all make alot more sense. Everyone needs to relax, do your job and let the AD do his......JMO

Reactions: feathersax and Woke
Hold up we are the ones buying out of this game? For a crap game in Nashville? I despise all these neutral site games. I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but college football is meant to be played on campuses. Part of the fun of college football is going to see other schools stadiums and their traditions. Not going to sit in a watered down pro stadium. Leave that crap for bowl games.
Neutral site regular season games with the exception of Texas and OU are horse ****

Reactions: sportsnut624
Nothing like playing in Nashville for the 3000th time

Back in the old days, we would play a game in Memphis about every three years. Sometimes against Ole Miss.

An occasionally game in middle or west Tennessee is like stealing an extra home game. Seems I remember one year where we had nine of eleven games in state. Seven at home plus Vandy in Nashville and Ole Miss in Memphis.

I may be wrong about that..??

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
Back in the old days, we would play a game in Memphis about every three years. Sometimes against Ole Miss.

An occasionally game in middle or west Tennessee is like stealing an extra home game. Seems I remember one year where we had nine of eleven games in state. Seven at home plus Vandy in Nashville and Ole Miss in Memphis.

That's fine but would've much rather went to Provo. We owe them one anyway.

A game every other year in Nashville isn't enough?

With last year's bowl game and this UVA game, Tennessee will play games in Nashville for 5 consecutive years (2020-2024). Enough already.

A game every other year in Nashville isn't enough?

With last year's bowl game and this UVA game, Tennessee will play games in Nashville for 5 consecutive years (2020-2024). Enough already.

Vandy gets the revenue from that game at their dump.

I think 2-3 games per decade at the Titans stadium is a good thing. And, the NFL is planning to build a new domed stadium in Nashville which will be Super Bowl hosting quality.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back