Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

Something is big time off with either one part of the story or the other.
I'm guessing the issue is this isn't like when we normally cancel neutral site games or buy-in games. This was a home-and-home of which UT already played their home portion of the series. Or it could be that the contract allowed BYU to reschedule and we were the ones who said no because our schedule is full? Just my guesses.

I wanted revenge on the magic underwear people! Last time we played Virginia was in our last Sugar Bowl in 91'.

Seriously though, why are we "buying out" of the game if it's BYU that wants out of it? That doesn't add up.

I'm one of those people. Thanks for the religious slur, btw.

I'm also born and raised in Tennessee and had 18 family members with me at the game, all in orange, all LDS. I hope your success is as narrow as your tolerance for others. 😂 I served and fought for my freedom to worship how I choose, just as I fought for your freedom to say whatever thing you may choose. Maybe you'd like the opportunity to practice your freedom of speech face to face? PM me. I'd love that, and I'll come to you.

Nobody wanted Tennessee to go to Provo and lay a beat down on BYU more than I did. I go to church with a lot of BYU fans and I took a pummeling after that game. Losing the chance to re-gain some bragging rights downright sucks.

Last edited:
Not sure who wanted it cancelled or if both did but Tennessee will come out ahead financially on the change. UT is home team and travel costs will also be less.

Hold up we are the ones buying out of this game? For a crap game in Nashville? I despise all these neutral site games. I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but college football is meant to be played on campuses. Part of the fun of college football is going to see other schools stadiums and their traditions. Not going to sit in a watered down pro stadium. Leave that crap for bowl games.
It was an AWAY game, now it’s a glorified home stand. I’ll save my tears.

Liquidated damages (buyouts) are standard in sports contracts. It is the cost of reneging on an executed agreement. It works in both directions. UT was the party that reneged and therefore owes the buyout. Don't want to pay the buyout, then don't cancel the agreement after it goes "hard", which was 24 months before game day in this case. Good luck getting an out of conference game scheduled without agreeing to a buyout provision.

I want to go to the UVA game simply to give Elliot hell. Glad he didn't come to UT. We are wayyyy better off!

This is a bad look for us. I don’t care what the reason is. There is no logical reason to buy out freaking BYU. It makes us look like we are scared to play them. Uncle Lou already roasting us on YouTube. This is pathetic. I don’t know who is responsible but they need to be held accountable for this crap.

This is a bad look for us. I don’t care what the reason is. There is no logical reason to buy out freaking BYU. It makes us look like we are scared to play them. Uncle Lou already roasting us on YouTube. This is pathetic. I don’t know who is responsible but they need to be held accountable for this crap.
Dude relax who is uncle Lou?? 😂😂 it doesn’t matter what anybody says it looks like Virginia is a power 5 team and we all know Nissan is gonna be painted Orange… idc who we play I just want us to play hard and make plays… this is not a big deal BYU to virgina will help us recruit that area as well Danny white doesn’t make moves without a plan…

Nay Nay! Uncle Lou missed the boat on this one.

BYU in Utah versus Virginia in Nashville is basically a wash.

I was going to take a week off and see a bunch of national parks in a trip anchored by this game at BYU. This reminds me of the game at Chapel Hill being canceled. Road games in new places are a lot more interesting than yet another game in Nashville.

I'm one of those people. Thanks for the religious slur, btw.

I'm also born and raised in Tennessee and had 18 family members with me at the game, all in orange, all LDS. I hope your success is as narrow as your tolerance for others. 😂 I served and fought for my freedom to worship how I choose, just as I fought for your freedom to say whatever thing you may choose. Maybe you'd like the opportunity to practice your freedom of speech face to face? PM me. I'd love that, and I'll come to you.

Nobody wanted Tennessee to go to Provo and lay a beat down on BYU more than I did. I go to church with a lot of BYU fans and I took a pummeling after that game. Losing the chance to re-gain some bragging rights downright sucks.
I tried to PM you, not to talk s**t. It wouldn't let me, said I didn't have permission. Anyway, I'm just messing around. I had several good LDS friends when I was younger. I had no idea it was considered a slur, who do you think I learned about it from? I guess there are so few LDS where I grew up that they don't get in a twist about it because no one else even knows (and I grew up long before Google). I also voted for Romney, though I regret the hell out of that. Joe Biden is Catholic like I am though so that's equally embarrassing.

Dude relax who is uncle Lou?? 😂😂 it doesn’t matter what anybody says it looks like Virginia is a power 5 team and we all know Nissan is gonna be painted Orange… idc who we play I just want us to play hard and make plays… this is not a big deal BYU to virgina will help us recruit that area as well Danny white doesn’t make moves without a plan…

BYU message boards calling us scared and wussy. Saying we didn’t want to come to Provo and lose. BYU is ranked ahead of us, UK, Pitt and even USC in the preseason rankings. Where is UVA? Oh that’s right nowhere. BYU is a much better football program than UVA. You can try to put a positive spin on this all you want. But it’s a bad look and we will get rightfully roasted by the sports media. From mustard bottles to now buying out of games. This is freaking pathetic.

Reactions: Tnphil

VN Store

Back