Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

BYU message boards calling us scared and wussy. Saying we didn’t want to come to Provo and lose. BYU is ranked ahead of us, UK, Pitt and even USC in the preseason rankings. Where is UVA? Oh that’s right nowhere. BYU is a much better football program than UVA. You can try to put a positive spin on this all you want. But it’s a bad look and we will get rightfully roasted by the sports media. From mustard bottles to now buying out of games. This is freaking pathetic.
Ducking Army already looked bad enough.

BYU message boards calling us scared and wussy. Saying we didn’t want to come to Provo and lose. BYU is ranked ahead of us, UK, Pitt and even USC in the preseason rankings. Where is UVA? Oh that’s right nowhere. BYU is a much better football program than UVA. You can try to put a positive spin on this all you want. But it’s a bad look and we will get rightfully roasted by the sports media. From mustard bottles to now buying out of games. This is freaking pathetic.

I had to stop at the end of the first sentence.

So, BYU has a message board? And, they are using it to call people "wussy"?

And, I thought we had issues in the baseball forum.

How about if we send Army to play at BYU?

Trust me on this...IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

We can pay BYU $2 million and still make more money with an extra home game in Nashville.

In turn, we can use that to buy more 5 star NIL deals.

So playing an unranked team (basically at home) somehow is better than beating a top 15 team? My bad. My post was dumb. I am using 2022 rankings.

Last edited:
I had to stop at the end of the first sentence.

So, BYU has a message board? And, they are using it to call people "wussy"?

And, I thought we had issues in the baseball forum.

They are justified. We are wussing out. Plain and simple.

Makes sense.

Tennessee likely makes better money. Way easier game since there is little to no travel. Virginia is more relevant to regional recruiting than BYU. I hate backing out of any game but we need to start having more relevant OOC games to help ourselves. Traveling across country doesn’t help this program and an sec schedule is hard enough.

I'm one of those people. Thanks for the religious slur, btw.

I'm also born and raised in Tennessee and had 18 family members with me at the game, all in orange, all LDS. I hope your success is as narrow as your tolerance for others. 😂 I served and fought for my freedom to worship how I choose, just as I fought for your freedom to say whatever thing you may choose. Maybe you'd like the opportunity to practice your freedom of speech face to face? PM me. I'd love that, and I'll come to you.

Nobody wanted Tennessee to go to Provo and lay a beat down on BYU more than I did. I go to church with a lot of BYU fans and I took a pummeling after that game. Losing the chance to re-gain some bragging rights downright sucks.
Making thinly veiled threats of violence cannot possibly be the best way to represent your religion in response to someone mocking it. That is not how you have been taught by your church.

Makes sense.

Tennessee likely makes better money. Way easier game since there is little to no travel. Virginia is more relevant to regional recruiting than BYU. I hate backing out of any game but we need to start having more relevant OOC games to help ourselves. Traveling across country doesn’t help this program and an sec schedule is hard enough.

How is UVA a more relevant team than BYU?

I tried to PM you, not to talk s**t. It wouldn't let me, said I didn't have permission. Anyway, I'm just messing around. I had several good LDS friends when I was younger. I had no idea it was considered a slur, who do you think I learned about it from? I guess there are so few LDS where I grew up that they don't get in a twist about it because no one else even knows (and I grew up long before Google). I also voted for Romney, though I regret the hell out of that. Joe Biden is Catholic like I am though so that's equally embarrassing.

We're good and I appreciate you manning up. I was surprised about some anti-LDS comments I saw on here when the possibility of Leach getting hired was going down, and then again leading up to the BYU game a few years ago. I probably carried some of that into my response to you above. I can't imagine religious jokes being made on here if we were playing Notre Dame or other denominational schools. Felt a little singled out and I apologize for my defensive reaction.

GBO!

Making thinly veiled threats of violence cannot possibly be the best way to represent your religion in response to someone mocking it. That is not how you have been taught by your church.

I am a sinner and by no means suggest I'm a great representation. Hope that helps.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Dear lord. You do realize the NIL isn’t paid by the program right?

True. But, it is all money that is being funneled together to improve stadium, get good players, etc. Ticket prices going up, set donations raised, the price for a NCAA touney baseball game in KnocksVegas is outrageous.

We did the same thing about 15-20 years ago. Paid Wyoming to host one of their home games in Nashville.

Money Money Money.

We're good and I appreciate you manning up. I was surprised about some anti-LDS comments I saw on here when the possibility of Leach getting hired was going down, and then again leading up to the BYU game a few years ago. I probably carried some of that into my response to you above. I can't imagine religious jokes being made on here if we were playing Notre Dame or other denominational schools. Felt a little singled out and I apologize for my defensive reaction.

GBO!
No problem man, I appreciate that, and I'm sorry I rattled your cage. I didn't think it was a serious disparagement. l'm goofing around on here 90% of the time. Occasionally we get talking about something legal/political and I'll get serious but I usually tire of that pretty quickly too. I was sincerely dying for some payback against the Cougs though for that heartbreaker a few years ago and figured next year we might have the team to do it. GBO!

Reactions: reaperkyle
I wanted revenge on the magic underwear people! Last time we played Virginia was in our last Sugar Bowl in 91'.

Seriously though, why are we "buying out" of the game if it's BYU that wants out of it? That doesn't add up.

Because Tennessee took the money in 2019 at home & was to return the game in 2023. They pay $2million not to go, get $3mil to play in Nash, net $1mil when it would be no revenue if you play BYU b

I could care less about what anybody on byu message board says… good grief I feel like I’m talking to my 3rd graders when they tell and say so and so called them a wussy 😂😂😂 when coach heup and the boys start winning games this year that will be completely irrelevant… some of y’all love to be miserable and mad about anything… this is not a big deal at all like not even a little bit 😂😂

I hate Virginia...I was at that 1980 game in which we absolutely stunk up the place and lost to them...Then losing to them in basketball and dealing with their stupid fanbase I can't wait to blow the doors off those buttheads.

I could care less about what anybody on byu message board says… good grief I feel like I’m talking to my 3rd graders when they tell and say so and so called them a wussy 😂😂😂 when coach heup and the boys start winning games this year that will be completely irrelevant… some of y’all love to be miserable and mad about anything… this is not a big deal at all like not even a little bit 😂😂

Don’t really care what you think honestly. No disrespect but I believe it’s a very bad look. It’s cool that you don’t care what other boards say about us. It makes us look bad. Do you see programs like Ohio State, Bama, UGA, Clemson buying out games? Hell do you even see teams like South Carolina, Kentucky and Missouri do it? Maybe they have and I haven’t heard about it.

Some of ya’ll like to be miserable and mad? That’s rich. I love this team and think we will have a good season. That has nothing to do with me not liking this situation.

I hate to say, but this is right out of "AD" Mike Hamilton's playbook. 2011 UNC

VN Store

Back