Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

Personally, I hate the move but understand it. Sig other is from Utah and still has family there so we were going to make a road trip of it. Not to mention we owe the mormons an ass kicking. Oh well...saves me a bunch of money.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Don’t like it, but I get it. At least we traded for a P5 team that’s been to a NY6 game in the past few years. I did want revenge for that joke of a last game. They had a top 5 pick at QB and the QB we had was.. not so much a top 5 pick. We blew that one.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Just watched a recording of the local talking heads fest in Knoxville. Would really like some feedback from the masses.

They dismissed the money aspect almost totally. How much money was BYU going to pay us to show up? Is it zero as a return home and home game?

What do you suppose the expenses of playing in Utah vs Nashville might be? Therefore what is the NET monetary difference?

How many recruits on our radar could attend a game at each site?

Is there value add to getting regional recruits eyes in Va and tidewater regions?

Which game will get a larger viewer rating?

Last edited:
Just watched a recording of the local talking heads fest in Knoxville. Would really like some feedback from the masses.

They dismissed the money aspect almost totally. How much money was BYU going to pay us to show up? Is it zero as a return home and home game?

What do you suppose the expenses of playing in Utah vs Nashville might be? Therefore what is the NET monetary difference?

Is there value add to getting regional recruits eyes in Va and tidewater regions?

More disturbed by the justification put out there for the move. UT insinuated the the change was being made because BYU needed out to join the Big 12. BYU did not want out and the previous week canceled Utah State to keep the UT game. They did not want to cancel. Many UT fans had planned to travel to Provo for the game.

Will not attend in Nashville during hot August. Was miserable at the Bowling Green game.

I don't believe in a home and home situation there is a payout involved. Could be wrong but think that is how it works.

I don't know the numbers of Nashville versus Provo but it is far cheaper on Tennessee to play Nashville. Plus, the revenue that Tennessee will get from a Nashville game will make it worth giving up 2 million to BYU. From a financial standpoint, it was a plus to UT. Doesn't matter what the talking heads think.

From a recruiting standpoint, Nashville is a far better location for a game than Provo. There will be a lot of recruits show up in Nashville. Easily the better option as relates to recruiting.

No idea on viewer ratings.

I don't believe in a home and home situation there is a payout involved. Could be wrong but think that is how it works.

I don't know the numbers of Nashville versus Provo but it is far cheaper on Tennessee to play Nashville. Plus, the revenue that Tennessee will get from a Nashville game will make it worth giving up 2 million to BYU. From a financial standpoint, it was a plus to UT. Doesn't matter what the talking heads think.

From a recruiting standpoint, Nashville is a far better location for a game than Provo. There will be a lot of recruits show up in Nashville. Easily the better option as relates to recruiting.

No idea on viewer ratings.
I think playing UVA is a better option as well. I get that BYU is good (I guess), but UVA is closer to a much better recruiting area so that game will catch some DC/NOVA/Tidewater attention and I don't see Heupel aiming at the 24 year old sophomore Mormon crowd for talent.

Virginia Tech would have been an even better option, but you take what you can get.

Nashville sweetened the pot if you get what I’m saying

More disturbed by the justification put out there for the move. UT insinuated the the change was being made because BYU needed out to join the Big 12. BYU did not want out and the previous week canceled Utah State to keep the UT game. They did not want to cancel. Many UT fans had planned to travel to Provo for the game.

Will not attend in Nashville during hot August. Was miserable at the Bowling Green game.
Then don’t go

BYU message boards calling us scared and wussy. Saying we didn’t want to come to Provo and lose. BYU is ranked ahead of us, UK, Pitt and even USC in the preseason rankings. Where is UVA? Oh that’s right nowhere. BYU is a much better football program than UVA. You can try to put a positive spin on this all you want. But it’s a bad look and we will get rightfully roasted by the sports media. From mustard bottles to now buying out of games. This is freaking pathetic.
I'm probably in the vast minority but I hated to see us get out of the Army game.

How about if we send Army to play at BYU?

Trust me on this...IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!!!

We can pay BYU $2 million and still make more money with an extra home game in Nashville.

In turn, we can use that to buy more 5 star NIL deals.
I never trust people who use the phrase “trust me”. I prefer to know the fact and trust the data.

I have no idea if true but have seen/heard that after the first 2 million goes to BYU then the next 1.5 million goes to Virginia for coming?

I’m just going to hold off on having an opinion about this until 2023. We don’t know if we will have 14 or 16 teams then, or what our conference schedule looks like. Just like we don’t know whether playing a team competing for the ACC coastal is going to look better for our strength of schedule than a team playing in a potentially watered down Big 12.

Dude relax who is uncle Lou?? 😂😂 it doesn’t matter what anybody says it looks like Virginia is a power 5 team and we all know Nissan is gonna be painted Orange… idc who we play I just want us to play hard and make plays… this is not a big deal BYU to virgina will help us recruit that area as well Danny white doesn’t make moves without a plan…
We get ACC officiating once again in Nashville. We will have to be much better than Virginia, which we should be. Because we will be fighting the refs for sure. GBO!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back