Vols set to open the 2023 season against a new opponent

utvolpj

Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Poor Elliott. I wouldn’t want to coach against someone who had taken a couple of coaching jobs that had been offered to me first. Heupel is a nice guy but even he has pride.

Hold up we are the ones buying out of this game? For a crap game in Nashville? I despise all these neutral site games. I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion but college football is meant to be played on campuses. Part of the fun of college football is going to see other schools stadiums and their traditions. Not going to sit in a watered down pro stadium. Leave that crap for bowl games.

I wanted revenge on the magic underwear people! Last time we played Virginia was in our last Sugar Bowl in 91'.

Seriously though, why are we "buying out" of the game if it's BYU that wants out of it? That doesn't add up.

Below is from the article, looks like they didn't want to play 2 SEC teams to open the season but it did not say specifically who requested the buyout.

In 2023, BYU is moving into the Big 12 and playing a conference schedule. They also have a trip to Arkansas on the schedule as well which was going to mean two SEC games before opening the inaugural Big 12 season. The Cougars and Razorbacks are set to meet in Fayetteville on September 16, 2023.

Below is from the article, looks like they didn't want to play 2 SEC teams to open the season but it did not say specifically who requested the buyout.

In 2023, BYU is moving into the Big 12 and playing a conference schedule. They also have a trip to Arkansas on the schedule as well which was going to mean two SEC games before opening the inaugural Big 12 season. The Cougars and Razorbacks are set to meet in Fayetteville on September 16, 2023.

Yeah, but it also says:

The matchup between Vols and Cavaliers will be played in Nissan Stadium and it will be a home game for Tennessee with the SEC having the television rights and it will be officiated by SEC officials. A portion of the ticket sales will go to BYU in order for Tennessee to meet contractual obligations and 'buy' its way out of that game.

That doesn't add-up.

I wanted revenge on the magic underwear people! Last time we played Virginia was in our last Sugar Bowl in 91'.

Seriously though, why are we "buying out" of the game if it's BYU that wants out of it? That doesn't add up.

Their band requested help in carrying dead, bloated Elvis off the field.

They asked for Volunteers.

We all said, "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I enjoyed kicking their azz that night, and look forward to doing it again in Nashville.

Their band requested help in carrying dead, bloated Elvis off the field.

They asked for Volunteers.

We all said, "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I enjoyed kicking their azz that night, and look forward to doing it again in Nashville.
YEAH...like a VIR-gin, Madonna! Vols gonna trash Cavaliers.

It looks as if Tennessee is paying the first $2mm of revenue from the UVA game to BYU for cancelling, which is absolutely astounding.
Astounding? Are you referring to the way they just toss money away, yet have no problem asking the faithful to pay higher ticket prices?
🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

It looks like we did. We're paying them to get out of it. I can't imagine why.
The article posted above was ambiguous. It's possible that due to the changed circumstances (BYU's conference change), it wanted to change the schedule too. The fact that we're paying money in lieu of playing there does not necessarily mean that we bailed out. It could have been a mutual agreement.

Reactions: J C Higgins

VN Store

Back