Vols rejecting Gary Patterson another lesson on incompetence

Gotta disagree with you. Not saying Patterson would have gotten an NC or even close if he came to UT but at least he knows how to coach up players and is a real coach. Adjusting to big boy ball in SEC would have been a challenge but I am saying that even if he did not fully succeed, we would have still put up consistent 8-9 win seasons and not have become an embarrassment.

TCU joined the Big12 in 2012. In Patterson’s 7 seasons since they have won at least 8 games only 3 times. Last year they went 7-6, the year before they went 6-7. He can’t even win consistently in a weaker conference with worse head coaches.

You are talking out your ass right now. Lane Kiffin was certainly a talked about candidate with a couple of high level programs at that time. Your perfect vision you are claiming right now is distorted.

Gary Patterson, Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin. Please explain how Kiffins name deserved to be in the mix.

Reactions: dduncan4163
Gary Patterson, Mike Leach and Lane Kiffin. Please explain how Kiffins name deserved to be in the mix.
You keep using this term “deserves” and using it incorrectly IMO. It wasn’t that Lane Kiffin deserved anything, but he most certainly was looked at for other jobs at that time and on the same level at UT (at the time). He was looked at as a hot young coach and most thought the issues at Oakland were Al Davis’s doing. All you are doing right now is babbling revisionist history.

Reactions: Behr
At the time he was fired, Fulmer said he was interested in the Clemson job. I’m not sure Dabo was even considered by Hamilton but what would have college football looked like if we traded Fulmer for Dabo?

I don't remember which article it was, I think a Clay Travis article, but it came out after Hamilton was fired. It stated that the reason why Patterson wouldn't consider UT back then was that in a conversation with then AD Hamilton about the position, that Hamilton spoke pretty bad about Fulmer. Unknown to Hamilton at the time, Patterson and Fulmer were and still are friends and Hamilton's comments were insulting to Patterson. Don't know if I am remembering this correctly, maybe somebody else remembers what was said back then.

Tennessee football: Vols rejecting Gary Patterson another lesson on incompetence

It was clear after firing Fulmer that Mike Hamilton had passed up proven names like Brian Kelly from the Cincinnati Bearcats and Mike Leach from, at that point, the Texas Tech Red Raiders. He instead went for Lane Kiffin. But an article by David Ubben in The Athletic revealed that Tennessee football turned down another name at that time as well: Gary Patterson.

We knew about Patterson being in contention a few times on Rocky Top. Apparently, in 2008, he was a serious contender, and the Vols could have lured him away. But, according to Patterson and the article, the Vols told him he was “too much of a football coach” for them. Yes, you heard that right. A football coach was too much of a football coach for a football coach opening.

How absurd does that sound at this point? Apparently, the concern was that he was too much like Fulmer, whom they had just fired. But again, while the game got away from Fulmer, that doesn’t mean that everything about him was 100 percent wrong. This was always Hamilton’s flaw. Whenever he moved on from a coach, he would go the exact opposite direction for his next hire.

Oh what could have been. Hamilton couldn't manage a Bojangles let alone a big time SEC program. He lit the match. Hart watched it burned and Currie p*ssed on the ashes.
Thanks Jimmy!

What? Kiffin Was a disaster. Not just because he bolted for USC in the middle but due to the fact that he was and is an incompetent division I coach. His tenure at USC was a nightmare as well. He is a Great offensive mind but not D1 HC material IMO. I would be surprised if he gets another big time gig.

His recruiting sucked!

His compliance sucked too.

Hard to say if he was a good player developer, but he did get some mileage out of Cromp Daddy.

Certainly a better game-day coach than Dooley or Jones...And along the same lines, men are better at peeing standing up. Not saying much is it?

Reactions: SpookyAction
Because we had just lost a great HC. We didnt need an unproven college HC who did nothing but lose in the NFL. Why this is hard to fathom is baffling.
Dabo Sweeney was no different than Kiffin resumewise in 2009... probably less qualified on paper. So you are not making sense right now...

At the time he was fired, Fulmer said he was interested in the Clemson job. I’m not sure Dabo was even considered by Hamilton but what would have college football looked like if we traded Fulmer for Dabo?
And I'm interested in the Dallas Cowboys coaching job. So what if Fulmer showed interest? He wasn't a candidate.

Garry Patterson was a mid-major coach and Mike Leach...was Mike Leach? Those your standards for homerun? During this latest coaching search, I got as much tired-head as anybody over some fans clamoring for Kiffin. To me that ship had sailed and there was enough catalogued drama to preclude him getting another shot. That doesn’t rewrite history. Kiffin was an acknowledged young offensive mind and established recruiter who was on more than a few lists. Him not getting along with Al Davis put him in the same company with a number of Super Bowl winning coaches. I understand you detest him...no problem with that but that’s the end of the FACTS in your argument. NJMO.

VN Store

Back