Vols rejecting Gary Patterson another lesson on incompetence

Yes it was. We very easily could have been sanctioned to the level of SMU with Kiffin thumbing his nose at recruiting rules. When he left, some morons were burning mattresses, but many other fans were saying, "Thank God." Allure? Whatever you were drinking them, swear off that. The entire time that jackass was here, I heard more arguments for getting Petersen, Patterson, Leach, or Kelly instead of how lucky we were to have Kiffin. Eventually, any of the above might be considered a bad hire with how damn poor administration supported the team. But hiring Kiffin wasn't just a bad hire, it was a 5h1t storm that ending at a better time than most are too dumb to admit.

Kiffin turned Crompton into an SEC QB in half a season and we were one play away from beating Bama.

Reactions: 08Vol and 82_VOL_83
Hiring Patterson would have been great, but hiring Kiffin was a good move at that time. Hiring Dooley over anyone else, however, spiraled us into the lost decade.

Patterson teams would have been fun to watch at Neyland.

Gary Patterson built his reputation on beating up on bad Mountain West teams by using Texas talent. His Rose Bowl win was over Brett Bilema and we know how well he did when he joined the SEC. TCU joined the Big12 (a much easier conference than the SEC) in 2012. Over the next 7 years he has only had 3 winning seasons (including a 4 win season) without a division championship (lost the head to head to Baylor so 2014 doesn’t count). He is not a good recruiter and relies on being in one of the top 3 states for recruits.

He is Butch Jones in a weaker conference.

Gary Patterson built his reputation on beating up on bad Mountain West teams by using Texas talent. His Rose Bowl win was over Brett Bilema and we know how well he did when he joined the SEC. TCU joined the Big12 (a much easier conference than the SEC) in 2012. Over the next 7 years he has only had 3 winning seasons (including a 4 win season) without a division championship (lost the head to head to Baylor so 2014 doesn’t count). He is not a good recruiter and relies on being in one of the top 3 states for recruits.

He is Butch Jones in a weaker conference.
Wouldn’t go that far but some good points. He’s taken that program to a high level after a huge lull...which proves what an achievement it was. I agree that I don’t see the assumption of similar success in the dog eat dog SEC.

The climate in 2008 wasn't going to allow us to hire a gimmick coach. We (or I should say the traditionalist fanbase) wanted to run pro style offense and the allure of getting Kiffin, Monte Kiffin and Ed O were too hard to pass up.

The Kiffin hire wasn't a bad hire... the contract buyout was the problem.

Wrong. The Kiffin hire was as bad as Dooley and Botch. Kiffin had done absolutely nothing to deserve the HC job at UT. I mean nothing. At least Dooley and Butch had won a little in college before coming to TN. Hamilton should have known better.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Wrong. The Kiffin hire was as bad as Dooley and Botch. Kiffin had done absolutely nothing to deserve the HC job at UT. I mean nothing. At least Dooley and Butch had won a little in college before coming to TN. Hamilton should have known better.
No, he's not wrong, you just disagree. Kiffin probably would have had us in Atlanta once or twice. At least.

No, he's not wrong, you just disagree. Kiffin probably would have had us in Atlanta once or twice. At least.

Just like he did with all that talent at USC right? Lane Kiffin should never even been mentioned as a potential HC for us in 2009.

Just like he did with all that talent at USC right? Lane Kiffin should never even been mentioned as a potential HC for us in 2009.

You realize that usc was decimated by recruiting sanctions when he got there from the Reggie bush scandal , and he didn’t get to sign the normal amount of players...

I dont think anyone could reasonably think that keeping Kippy permanently in that situation would have been much better than hiring Dooley.

In hindsight, better to hire Kippy as an interim for one year. He probably would have been about the same as Dooley's first year - not a disaster but no great shakes either. Then get a much better coach after one year. Since we are talking about Mike Hamilton doing the hiring, its no guarantee that in one year, he would have done any better than Dooley either.

He was dealing with NCAA sanctions and still won 8 his first year and 10 his second. Was 3-2 when he was fired. Lol. My point was correct.

Last edited:
This is why I've always rejected the "UT is just not the program it used to be" arguments. There's no fundamental shift in college football that has left us behind.

If anything, winning a national championship at Tennessee is easier than it was back in 1998 or 2007. The SEC is a major pull for recruits now and the state of Tennessee has way more top recruits now than it did a few decades ago. Moreover, we routinely post some of the best revenue numbers in the country.

We're not Nebraska, a program hurt by national recruiting trends and the move to the Big 10 (which made it more difficult for them to recruit Texas). We're not Michigan, which has seen its state and regional talent pool shrink for decades. We're not Miami, a program hurt by disinterest from the fans.

No grand fundamental trend has hurt our program. The "trends" have actually made this a better job than it used to be. We just made crappy coaching hires.

We had the opportunity to hire Patterson. We've had multiple opportunities to hire Mike Leach. There have been other great coaches interested. We just didn't hire them.

Hamilton was obsessed with discovering a great "wunderkind" rather than a proven coach in 2008. And that decision has haunted us for over a decade.

You’re insane if you think it’s easier now to win a natty than in 1998 or 2007. Tougher now than at any time prior

Is anyone else tired of the anti Tennessee articles posted lately?

We’ve acknowledged we screwed the pooch
We’ve acknowledged Admins being incompetent
We’ve acknowledged underwhelming players and coaches

Beating that horse over and over.

I doubt it. Most of his players were short on brains and character. Alot of his class left early and/or were arrested for their crimes. I hated to see him go at the time, but it did not take very long to realize he was a sleeze ball.

Let’s see:

Coach 1 with a 73% winning percentage at a school that had nothing before he took the reins, double-digit wins in 10 out of 18 seasons, and only missed a bowl game in 2 of those seasons.

Coach 2 with a 42% winning percentage and 0 for 1 in reaching a bowl.

Yeah, I get it....

Very dumb comparison.

I doubt it. Most of his players were short on brains and character. Alot of his class left early and/or were arrested for their crimes. I hated to see him go at the time, but it did not take very long to realize he was a sleeze ball.

I can't stand him and don't want him back, but I wish he would have stayed a few years. Don't blame him for leaving either.

But blah blah blah, we're right here right now.

Let’s see:

Coach 1 with a 73% winning percentage at a school that had nothing before he took the reins, double-digit wins in 10 out of 18 seasons, and only missed a bowl game in 2 of those seasons.

Coach 2 with a 42% winning percentage and 0 for 1 in reaching a bowl.

Yeah, I get it....
A lot of it is being happy with what you have because it is definitely all you're going to get, however it turns out.

He didn’t meet our definition of a home run hire. Mid-major coach who recruits 3 stars. Also little known is that he has percentages of ownership of oil concerns due to his relationships with TCU boosters. I think he was having more fun with Ubben than sincerity. Maybe he was hireable at that point but I doubt it was anywhere as easy as simply offering.

Gotta disagree with you. Not saying Patterson would have gotten an NC or even close if he came to UT but at least he knows how to coach up players and is a real coach. Adjusting to big boy ball in SEC would have been a challenge but I am saying that even if he did not fully succeed, we would have still put up consistent 8-9 win seasons and not have become an embarrassment.

Gotta disagree with you. Not saying Patterson would have gotten an NC or even close if he came to UT but at least he knows how to coach up players and is a real coach. Adjusting to big boy ball in SEC would have been a challenge but I am saying that even if he did not fully succeed, we would have still put up consistent 8-9 win seasons and not have become an embarrassment.
Not being an embarrassment still doesn’t stack up to being a home run hire in the SEC...which is the part of your original post I disagreed with. You’re not going to find anyone who asserts that Dooley or Butch are in his neighborhood.

He was dealing with NCAA sanctions and still won 8 his first year and 10 his second. Was 3-2 when he was fired. Lol. My point was correct.

He won jack squat at USC. And I will repeat, when Hamilton was looking for a new HC, Lane Kiffins name should have not even been mentioned.

VN Store

Back