Vols Didn't Run Through the T (Merged)

I heard that the field had taken 4 inches of rain, I suspect that keeping the band off the field and not having kids out there with large pieces of metal (tubas) would be a good idea if they were worried about lightening strikes.:crazy:

The lightning strikes were out of the area, or the players wouldn't have been on the field. Besides, what's safer, Tubas on the field, or sitting on metal bleachers?

The field didn't take 4 inches, the Knoxville area did. ALL DAY. The field is designed to allow up to 9 inches of water per hour to drain. They talked about how GREAT the field was in postgame. Mike Hamilton himself said that he was on the field in the fourth quarter, he reached down and felt it, and it was "basicly dry".

Of course we our band did not take the field. There is no point in risking the condition of the field with our marching band. Suppose that the field did not drain as advertised, and the marching band contributed to a very muddy surface. We would have had to rely on a running game...

After telling people to not cheer, cutting out tailgaiting in G-10, andlast nights debacle of NO POWER T, NO HALFTIME CEREMONY; I am fed up with the AD. I spoke with a band member one the way back to my car and he was CRUSHED that they did not do the full on ceremony. They gave him no reason why he could not go on the field and play. I have had it with UT and I am considering pulling my season tickets if this behavior continues. The reason given for no power T-the game was delayed. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrads to the boys for playin hard.

if it continues, you can have them. I want no part of a half ass university.

They were trying to get the game in before anymore bad weather and save the field from any undue wear and tear. Do not have a problem with that.

After telling people to not cheer, cutting out tailgaiting in G-10, andlast nights debacle of NO POWER T, NO HALFTIME CEREMONY; I am fed up with the AD. I spoke with a band member one the way back to my car and he was CRUSHED that they did not do the full on ceremony. They gave him no reason why he could not go on the field and play. I have had it with UT and I am considering pulling my season tickets if this behavior continues. The reason given for no power T-the game was delayed. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrads to the boys for playin hard.

Wow. Safety is more important.

I've got to say that I was pretty disappointed with the lack of a pregame yesterday, too. I drove up from Greenville, SC with 4 friends that had never been to a TN game. We sat on Row 2 in Z11, RIGHT WHERE THEY WOULD'VE RUN THROUGH THE T. I was bragging about the pregame festivities, the atmosphere, everything. While no one can control the weather, it seemed like the only time it DIDN'T rain was when they could've done the pregame festivities. The game was good, the crowd was still loud (but there couldn't have been 104,000+ in the stands), but I woke up with a kickin cold this morning.

I know the rain interfered with all of the pre-game stuff, but does anybody know if they planned to do the whole walking-horse thing before the game for homecoming?

That's also a pretty cool tradition, IMO.

There was absolutely NO reason that we couldn't run through the T. The field was cleared for play, lightning was out of the area (as evidence by the decision to allow fans in and players on the field), and it would not have taken more than maybe 5 minutes to get the band out there.

I was jipped, as was everyone (including the Marshall fans) who made the trip in the rain. Imagine how people felt who came in for Homecoming and didn't even get to experience one of the great traditions of Neyland.

If the whole goal was to "shorten" the game, maybe they could keep the tighty-whity suit with the red hat off the field during a Pay-Per-View broadcast. NOW you know where the priorities of the university administration lie.

Heck, I'll take those season tickets and relocate to Knoxville just 'cause of them.

Well... Relocate during football season, anyways.

I've got to say that I was pretty disappointed with the lack of a pregame yesterday, too. I drove up from Greenville, SC with 4 friends that had never been to a TN game. We sat on Row 2 in Z11, RIGHT WHERE THEY WOULD'VE RUN THROUGH THE T. I was bragging about the pregame festivities, the atmosphere, everything. While no one can control the weather, it seemed like the only time it DIDN'T rain was when they could've done the pregame festivities. The game was good, the crowd was still loud (but there couldn't have been 104,000+ in the stands), but I woke up with a kickin cold this morning.
I feel bad for you and friends. That was not UT football. I hope we get it back so they can see a real game.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Thank goodness I'm not alone.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think the University wants just as much atmosphere as we all do. I am happy we won and pulled away late. If the game had been real close, we'd be moaning about on the field issues. Instead, we're complaining about pre-game activities. I'd rather be in the boat we're in now . . .

Heck, I'll take those season tickets and relocate to Knoxville just 'cause of them.

Well... Relocate during football season, anyways.
You wouldn't recognize the gameday anymore. Save the trip. Oh yes, dont cheer at the games, the ticket office will call you and tell you to be quiet.

I'll take those season tickets off your hand.

If you're willing to drop $3 grand for a set of four (like we do), I'm sure you will have NO PROBLEM picking some up next year.

Just remember that your $1,000 parking space will allow you to park, and that's it. The alternative is to pay $10-20 per game for public spots (a savings of about 900 bucks) and have fun in the lot. You can probably guess which one I'll be doing next year.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I think the University wants just as much atmosphere as we all do. I am happy we won and pulled away late. If the game had been real close, we'd be moaning about on the field issues. Instead, we're complaining about pre-game activities. I'd rather be in the boat we're in now . . .
I am happy with the game, that is why I said congrads to the guys. This tread is about what mistakes the University has made this week, and I know a lot of people are pissed about it.

I am happy with the game, that is why I said congrads to the guys. This tread is about what mistakes the University has made this week, and I know a lot of people are pissed about it.

You didn't listen to Mike Hamilton after the game did you? Any sort of lightning within 6 miles and no fans are allowed in the stadium or anyone on the field. There is a minimum of a 30 min wait. This is an SEC rule and there is nothing you can do about it. We were lucky the game was even played yesterday. There were talks of playing it today.

I agree it's dissapointing to not have all the normal gameday activites but safety is more important. I think alot of people are more upset they didn't have it because it was Homecoming.

VN Store

Back