Vols biggest upset in program history?

If you haven't listed the 85 Sugar Bowl then you're just not old enough to have seen it. Do yourself a favor and watch it.
This was an upset, only in the media's eyes. If you've watched the game, it is clear who is the better team.
The Hurricanes had to go to their bag of tricks,and fake punt, on the first drive, to even sniff the endzone, against "The Rocky Stops".

Which team does Travis Stephens play for?
Travis Henry and Jamal Lewis (although Lewis was injured about midway through the 98' season) were the featured backs, in 98'. So, TS would have been on the 01' team.
Would've been a battle of wills.
The 98' O-line was better. The d-lines are equal. Receivers were a wash. TE's were definitely in favor of the 01' team. D-backs were better on 98' team. LB's were better on the 98' team. Imho
The difference would've been Cutcliffe vs Sanders. Sorry, I am going with David, every time.

That was shortly after we blew out UGA. It was just about the most improbable stretch of Tennessee football I can remember.
Why do people on this site have such a bad time remembering simple things like this? We hadn't dominated UGA in 4 years and it would be 2 more before we'd even beat them again in 2013? Do you guys even watch games?

Why do people on this site have such a bad time remembering simple things like this? We hadn't dominated UGA in 4 years and it would be 2 more before we'd even beat them again in 2013? Do you guys even watch games?
C'mon man. Literally 5 posts later...

You're right. Got the years mixed up.

In 2009, we crapped out in September against Florida, UCLA and Auburn. Then out of nowhere in October, we blew out GA and SC and had a FG attempt to beat Bama. Then at the end we got murdered by Ole Miss and didn't show up against VT. Just a complete roller coaster.

Alot of debate between the 98 team versus the 01 team....it's this simple:

if the game was played away from Neyland......01 would win---Clausen was an absolute killer on the road.

if the game was played in Neyland......98 would win---the defense would dominate the 01 team.....Al Wilson was a freakin monster inside Neyland.

Travis Henry and Jamal Lewis (although Lewis was injured about midway through the 98' season) were the featured backs, in 98'. So, TS would have been on the 01' team.
Would've been a battle of wills.
The 98' O-line was better. The d-lines are equal. Receivers were a wash. TE's were definitely in favor of the 01' team. D-backs were better on 98' team. LB's were better on the 98' team. Imho
The difference would've been Cutcliffe vs Sanders. Sorry, I am going with David, every time.

Right. I say give 98 jamal and travis, let 01 have Stephens. I'd argue when Henderson and Haynesworth turned it on 01 had better DT play. Agree with lb's and Dbacks but I'd take the 01' offense over 98. Of course 01 didn't have an Al, which is why they lost 2 games they should have won

If I remember correctly, Travis Stephens played for both the 98 and 01 teams. He was the starter in 01. I believe he may have redshirted in 99 or 2000.

Yes, that is correct. More tongue in cheek statement. Stephens and Henry shared carries until it was obvious Henry was the guy. Crazy but we had 4 NFL RB's on that 98 squad, 3 all-sec guys, 1 all-american, and Jamal lewis would have been an AA had he not got hurt. LOADED. I'd still take 01' offense over 98 though

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns

VN Store

Back