Vols biggest upset in program history?

I already posted but beating Miami in that Sugar Biel has to be the winner.

It wasn’t even mentioned in the 30 for 30 “ The U”!

Which irritated me since all other Miami losses were discussed.
Beating Miami in 2003 was awesome. Snapped their 28 home game winning streak

Reactions: lukeneyland
In 1925, Tennessee hired a young captain from West Point, Robert R. Neyland, and entrusted him with the task of defeating the South's most dominant program of the era, Dan McGugin's Vanderbilt squad. The two coaches faced each other for the first time in Nov. 1926. Neyland chose to pursue a career in football and in 1925 was appointed a Professor of Military Science at the University of Tennessee. For an additional $700 he also became an ends coach on the staff of M.B. Banks, who was on the final year of his contract. Taking over the head coaching duties for a game against Georgia when Banks was ill, Neyland lead the Volunteers to a 12-7 upset victory. The next year, he was named the head coach and athletic director by Tennessee. The breakthrough came in 1928 as Neyland's Volunteers blanked the Commodores 6-0. With that victory the balance of power shifted for good. Tennessee would not lose to Vanderbilt again until 1935. The rest, as they say, is history...

The real question is, how did they pull that upset? Coaching? Lucky breaks? Defense? Qb playing better than expected? We got anything similar this year?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 1948 upset of Ga Tech. We were 3-2-1 going into that game and they were ranked number six. We whipped em' and the score was closer than the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrentVol
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the 194 upset of Ga Tech. We were 3-2-1 going into that game and they were ranked number six. We whipped em' and the score was closer than the game.

I thought we started playing football in the 19th century, didn’t realize it was the 2nd century.

I agree with most suggested. But think the 1971 Penn State game in Neyland with Lydell Mitchell and Franco Harris needs to be on the list. Another game may have been the 1970 game against Florida with John Reeves and Carlos Alvarez.

But the 1982 Bama game was beyond special. Still think it to be the loudest game in Neyland of all time.

Reactions: Teeman and TBvol
This one was great! I went to that game and will never forget how the Miami fans were so arrogant to all of us vols. I bought a button before the game that said Vinny Who? , and caught a lot of loud mouthed comments, but after that beat down, the same Miami fans in the hotel doing the talking literally avoided me. It was Great!!!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
October 16 No. 2 Alabama
Neyland Stadium ·
Knoxville, Tennessee (Third Saturday in October)
W 35–28 95,342 Led by Majors. I was there.

Reactions: onevol74
October 16 No. 2 Alabama
Neyland Stadium ·
Knoxville, Tennessee (Third Saturday in October)
W 35–28 95,342 Led by Majors. I was there.

So was I. A game I’ll never forget … before, during and after. And to think I almost didn’t go. My friend had an extra student ticket but had to beg ne to go. We had lost 11 straight to the Tide and I had attended the 1980 thrashing by Bama in a rainstorm. So glad he convinced me to go. The whole day was surreal and a little bazaar to be honest. I sat next to a UT student smoking a joint who was openly cheering for Bama. We were in the lower south end zone section, the area where the fans…mostly students climbed over the fence and rushed the field despite scores of police trying to keep it from happening. After the game the goal post was carried down the strip. We went to a pizza joint on the strip that probably had 3 times the amount of people the place was set up to hold. We took our food back up to the area where Hess Hall and what years ago was some sort of fraternity house back in the day was located. The place was a wee bit bonkers.

VN Store

Back