Vols biggest upset in program history?

82 Bama was the most spectacular game I’ve ever witnessed.
I have attended all the big games in Neyland since the mid-70's including the Florida games and other Bama games and never saw that stadium rock like it did that day. You would have thought that Jesus had returned in the clouds the way that crowd was acting. And the crescendo kept getting louder and louder as the game went on until the end.

I had friends that were working inside an isolated surgical room in Baptist Hospital that day and they said they could hear the roars from the stadium.

Two games that come to mind. 1991, in the kickoff classic. We tied eventual National Champion Colorado 31-31. After trailing 31-17, late in the 4th, our o-line took over the game, and bullied its way to a tie, and were seconds away from a winning FG attempt. If only Chuck Webb had gotten out of bounds, earlier. But, he nearly took it to the house.
Also, 1992, vs 8-1 #5 Notre Dame, at South Bend. After trailing 31-7, in the 2nd quarter, Floyd Miley picked up a blocked FG attempt(Blocked by Darryl Hardy #87), and ran it back for six. Tennessee rallied, in workman like fashion, in the second half, to win 35-34, after the attempted winning FG glanced off of Jeremy Lincoln's buttock, as he flew by the holder.
One thing that stands out to me, in both games, our o-line enforced its will, late in the game. Something I look forward to witnessing again, someday. Phillip Fulmer was the OC in both games. He knew how to build an offense around the guys in the trenches.

If you haven't listed the 85 Sugar Bowl then you're just not old enough to have seen it. Do yourself a favor and watch it.

Reactions: kbear01
I think 09 UGA was probably bigger as we just totally dominated that game.
They weren't any good though, I think they had 5 losses, that was the year after Stafford left and their defense was atrocious. They lost to Kentucky.

Couple of things:

1. If we are doing this by point spread then the Sugar Bowl isn’t even close. I know nobody gave us a chance, but we were only around an 8 point underdog vs 18 point dogs to Florida in 2001. We were double digit dogs to UGA in 2004 as well.

2. This thread has been done before
What was the biggest all time UT upset win?

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Now THAT's a huge upset. Yes!

We were ranked like 8th in 1986 before the Sugar Bowl. 8 v 2 (discounting the media's UM hype and final score) is not a big upset.
We finished 12-1
Couple of things:

1. If we are doing this by point spread then the Sugar Bowl isn’t even close. I know nobody gave us a chance, but we were only around an 8 point underdog vs 18 point dogs to Florida in 2001. We were double digit dogs to UGA in 2004 as well.

2. This thread has been done before
What was the biggest all time UT upset win?
has to be 01 Florida as we were 18 pt underdogs on the road. Funny thing is with the win we won the east and with a win in would’ve played for national championship.

In 1959 when Tennessee beat # 1 ranked LSU in Knoxville. Billy. Canon was stopped on a 2 point conversion try to give the VOLs a 14 to 13 win.
IMG_20190929_143430.jpgMy dad used to talk about that game all the time. This was the week after Cannon's famous Halloween Night punt return to beat Ole Miss. Before I was born, my parents would tune in the radio to Tennessee games in the afternoon and LSU games at night. Because of that I have a soft spot for LSU, so long as they're not playing the Vols.

View attachment 228219My dad used to talk about that game all the time. This was the week after Cannon's famous Halloween Night punt return to beat Ole Miss. Before I was born, my parents would tune in the radio to Tennessee games in the afternoon and LSU games at night. Because of that I have a soft spot for LSU, so long as they're not playing the Vols.
I like them too. I could get their night games on the radio.

Reactions: Necessary Roughness
We finished 12-1

has to be 01 Florida as we were 18 pt underdogs on the road. Funny thing is with the win we won the east and with a win in would’ve played for national championship.

Maybe a Vegas upset, yes. But, we were ramked #4 iirc, and UF was #2. Hard to call that they biggest ever. I like the part about UCLA 89' lots better.

VN Store

Back