Vols biggest upset in program history?

Yall pretty much named the best ones ... But here's one I remember well. .... theTennesseean front page in Nashville the next day read "Vols climb back up on rocky top"
It was 2006. We hosted #6 ranked Cal along with "the beast" Marshawn lynch. I believe we held him to 37 or so yards on the day. We were coming off that terrible 2005 season and people had doubts. We were not ranked and we dominated them.

85' Sugar and 01' UF were huge wins and upsets. But when OP asks for biggest upset ever, surely he's referring to the biggest disparity in ratings where we actually won.

85 Miami was the biggest. We not only won. We beat the hell out of them. Several thought it would be a beatdown but thought Tennessee would be the one getting beaten.

03 Miami-ended a 28 game Miami home win streak.
91 Notre Dame- Notre Dame was up 31-7 late in the first quarter. Tennessee ended up blocking a FG run back for a TD then came back to win 35-34.

85' Sugar and 01' UF were huge wins and upsets. But when OP asks for biggest upset ever, surely he's referring to the biggest disparity in ratings where we actually won.
Well in ‘89 we were unranked when we beat #6 UCLA in Pasadena. Other than the ‘82 Alabama game, that might be the biggest disparity.

South Carolina finished ranked #4 in the country. Tennessee finished the season with a losing record
That was shortly after we blew out UGA. It was just about the most improbable stretch of Tennessee football I can remember.

Cal was ranked #9 not 6 when we beat them in 06 ... it was like a 3 score spread tho and we were at home ... all u heard was marshawn was gonna win the hiesman that year ... we shut him completely down. Montario hardestys best run of his vol career came in that game when he absolutely bulldozed a linebacker and found his way to the endzone from almost 70 yards out. Great game

I believe that was after the Pig Howard fumble game
You're right. Got the years mixed up.

In 2009, we crapped out in September against Florida, UCLA and Auburn. Then out of nowhere in October, we blew out GA and SC and had a FG attempt to beat Bama. Then at the end we got murdered by Ole Miss and didn't show up against VT. Just a complete roller coaster.

As I watched a few games today hoping for upsets it got me wondering about Vol history concerning upsets. What is the biggest upset that UT has ever pulled off in the history of the program?

Really tough question. My first instinct is 1982 against #2 Alabama When we broke the 11 game losing streak. We were not very good that year. The only thing is I believe the Tide lost two more times that year and played in a meaningless Liberty Bowl game. We had two big upsets in 1985 against #1 Auburn and #2 Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Those three stand out to me.

Cal was ranked #9 not 6 when we beat them in 06 ... it was like a 3 score spread tho and we were at home ... all u heard was marshawn was gonna win the hiesman that year ... we shut him completely down. Montario hardestys best run of his vol career came in that game when he absolutely bulldozed a linebacker and found his way to the endzone from almost 70 yards out. Great game
I think the 1st half against Cal in 06 and the 2nd half against Florida in 90 are the two greatest halves of Tennessee football I've ever seen.

Man I huURddd THAT brother! That just got me hype af ... GA better watch out I'm tellin ya ..

VN Store

Back