Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a modern take on these....

ReggieWhiteVols_display_image.jpg

1985 Tennessee @ Florida (Video 1) - YouTube

I think that's what they've been going for. When the pants don't have that odd "shine" to them.

FootballVolUniform1903_zps1581a560.jpg
FootballVolUniform1925_zpsc505ff07.jpg

1903 and 1925, had to fit the numbers in the front in somewhere, since the originals did not use them, same for the helmet schemes. I also tossed a Power T on the pants of one just to see. 1903 looks terrible like I expected, with it looking nothing like Tennessee, 1925 doesn't look too bad, but still just odd to me.

Bad Ass..you read my mind....or my post.

I'm not sure if I have ever clarified, but my looks I've been tossing out on here are not to flush 100+ years of tradition down the drain, and aren't also meant to replace our uniforms, just an alternate for a one game a year kinda thing. As for the black jerseys, I thought Eric Berry and one other were the ones who came to Kiffin and asked for them for that game, or am I mistaken? Also, as for the old uniforms, I have been dabbling with them on the Pro Combat as "throw back" designs as well, just to see what those 1892, 1903, '14, and '25 uniforms would look. Just didn't know if anyone would be curious to see them.

I'm glad you did those older uniforms. They look amazing by the way. I don't think a lot of fans might be aware of the different style and colors of those. You're just using photoshop?

Lol the black jersey argument will never go away on here. I wouldn't mind n alt uni once a year. As long as they look good the can put whatever color they want on them.

I'm tired of the "flushing tradition" argument when faced with sporting ONE additional NEUTRAL color to a one time wear uniform. Tradition doesn't go away because of something as simple as that. We aren't advocating a change to any tradition. We are looking for an edge and if a bad@$$ looking uniform now and then can do that then why not.

Notre Dame is as traditional a university as we have in this country and they break out green jerseys now and then. Green is not their official school color but the kids embrace it and it adds a certain element to those games.

I'm betting the cases are few and far between but who's to say when a recruit is teetering or on the fence between two schools that the way they look doesn't play a role in their final decision.

Right or wrong the high schoolers today like the flair and drawn to the flash. They customize everything from cars/wheels to their cell phones.
We can try to hide behind "tradition" because we are resistant to change, but this wont make the trend go away.
Tradition is wrought on the field, in the classroom, and as a citizen. The way these athletes are coached will teach them the tradition of Tennessee.
If the players want a little more pop to bring them to UT so be it. No doubt the uniforms and the style does catch their eye, draw their attention, and generate interest. To argue this would be foolish. So whatever it takes to create excitement is fine by me. Get the kids to campus then we teach the tradition and create a Vol for Life out of these high school boys.
Make the uni's exciting bring out the metal finish, the black jersies for night games.....whatever!!!
Just get them here....then teach the boys how to be men!

Reactions: 1 person
]Right or wrong the high schoolers today like the flair and drawn to the flash[/B]. They customize everything from cars/wheels to their cell phones.
We can try to hide behind "tradition" because we are resistant to change, but this wont make the trend go away.
Tradition is wrought on the field, in the classroom, and as a citizen. The way these athletes are coached will teach them the tradition of Tennessee.
If the players want a little more pop to bring them to UT so be it. No doubt the uniforms and the style does catch their eye, draw their attention, and generate interest. To argue this would be foolish. So whatever it takes to create excitement is fine by me. Get the kids to campus then we teach the tradition and create a Vol for Life out of these high school boys.
Make the uni's exciting bring out the metal finish, the black jersies for night games.....whatever!!!
Just get them here....then teach the boys how to be men!

So that is the reason Alabama and LSU are doing so well? I bet you sell used cars too.

FootballVolUniform1903_zps1581a560.jpg
FootballVolUniform1925_zpsc505ff07.jpg

1903 and 1925, had to fit the numbers in the front in somewhere, since the originals did not use them, same for the helmet schemes. I also tossed a Power T on the pants of one just to see. 1903 looks terrible like I expected, with it looking nothing like Tennessee, 1925 doesn't look too bad, but still just odd to me.

I'm still trying to decide if I'd want to see those on the field or not but either way you do incredible work! They look cool but don't know that those would provide the intense attitude coming out of the tunnel I imagine.

UT should try out some different uniforms, helmets, jackets, caps, shirts, and maybe even a.meaner looking Smokey. Fans would love it and it would generate millions in new revenue. That would cover the cost of contract buyouts, etc.

Reactions: 2 people
because alabama decided not to change uniforms, UT should not change also? :eek:hmy:

Not just Alabama, but most of the other teams that are historically great are above these sorts of gimmicks. Tennessee has a special, one of a kind brand and it would be a shame to flush 100 years of tradition by trying to cater to the current trends.

Reactions: 1 person
Not just Alabama, but most of the other teams that are historically great are above these sorts of gimmicks. Tennessee has a special, one of a kind brand and it would be a shame to flush 100 years of tradition by trying to cater to the current trends.

A uniform for one game doesn't flush away tradition

A uniform for one game doesn't flush away tradition

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

If the opportunity to put on the same uniform that Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, Reggie White, Condredge Holloway, Phil Fulmer and Johnny Majors all wore isn't good enough for somebody interested in coming to UT, then I honestly just don't know what to say.

Reactions: 2 people

Notre Dame, an old, traditional program, changes uniform colors frequently.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

If the opportunity to put on the same uniform that Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, Reggie White, Condredge Holloway, Phil Fulmer and Johnny Majors all wore isn't good enough for somebody interested in coming to UT, then I honestly just don't know what to say.

That doesn't matter for a lot of kids. It's 2012, and most kids couldn't name half the players you just did

Maybe Peyton or another star would be interested in wearing a new style of jersey, etc and maybe put it on one of the billboards or maybe on utsports.com to gauge the interest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back