Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to see the more muted orange of the sixties and seventies. The orange jerseys today are so bright, they almost look catoonish.

I'm glad you did those older uniforms. They look amazing by the way. I don't think a lot of fans might be aware of the different style and colors of those. You're just using photoshop?

Thank you. Yeah, I was curious to see what the old look would come off like on new uniforms, I plan to do the others in the near future. The 1914 one should be interesting. And yep, just using Photoshop. : )>

Reactions: 2 people
Thank you. Yeah, I was curious to see what the old look would come off like on new uniforms, I plan to do the others in the near future. The 1914 one should be interesting. And yep, just using Photoshop. : )>

Thanks for uploading all the uniforms. Great work. I would like to see helmets with smokey on one side and the power T on the other.

FootballVolUniform1914_zps591cb811.jpg
FootballVolUniform1971_zps3a2cd89a.jpg

1914 & 1971

Reactions: 6 people
Thanks for uploading all the uniforms. Great work. I would like to see helmets with smokey on one side and the power T on the other.

You're welcome and thank you. : )> Kinda hard to get the logo to show up on the sides of the entire uniform image, but I'll mock up a Smokey logo on the helmet. Might as well do Davey Crockett and "VOLS" just to see what they'd look like. Figure I'll do them on both orange and white helmets.

EDIT: I feel really dumb forgetting the 2nd "t" in Davey's last name, especially since my last name ends in them as well.

Last edited:
You're welcome and thank you. : )> Kinda hard to get the logo to show up on the sides of the entire uniform image, but I'll mock up a Smokey logo on the helmet. Might as well do Davey Crocket and "VOLS" just to see what they'd look like. Figure I'll do them on both orange and white helmets.

Nice job and very cool to see. I'd like to see some minor variations for big games and the traditional gear for all others.

Thanks again.

Love these. Can you change the helmet color to leather brown in the '14 version?

Thank ya.

See, I had been debating doing that for the leather helmet era unis I've put on here so far, but figured with how alot of people are about the black, I sure didn't wanna open a new can with the brown...but I admit, I have been curious to see how that'd look. : )>

Take Coca-Cola for example. Can you imagine if they replaced their red and white branding with, for example black and silver, and instead of the Coca-Cola script logo just put a huge "C" on the can? Sure, a few people might think it was cool, but in the end it would probably just lead to a lot of confusion amongst customers who came into a store trying to buy Coke. In fact, the only time they tried to make massive changes to the product (the taste, not so much the branding) it was almost universally hated, was a complete disaster and ended up with the company scrapping the idea and going back to what had been working for almost 100 years.

The moral of the story is that a strong brand isn't easily built, and once you've spent years laying the groundwork, it's not necessarily wise to go tearing it down trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Yeah, well these uniforms aren't working anymore. Maybe tweaking our flavor is a good thing. Changing a uniform is certainly not going to hurt, if anything it grabs attention. If your flipping channels and see a Jersey you don't recognize, or a new style, do you not stop to see who it is and if you like, or dislike them?

So what we have a long standing tradition with the same uniform.. Today's future players could careless about that. And unless we're winning, we're just a sucky bottom feeder of the sec with an old traditional T on our helmets. It's unappreciated by almost everyone except a few.

On the other hand a new jersey is fun, cool, exciting, gains attention/press. Says we're not afraid to change and take chances, to grow change and evolve with the world around us.

Tennessee is Tennessee no matter what. The ONLY brand that matters is winning today, not last decade. Why some people act like if we changed our uniform we would be an unknown team is beyond me. Has anyone lost Oregon? Can you not read info on the tv? And when any football athlete is in public and sees a winning teams logo, he will know exactly who it is. We all recognize that blue K as Kentucky, but that thought is automatically tied to a thought of a piss poor football team. For the past decade our tradition is hurting us more than helping. Beyond that were unknown to recruits

Thank ya.

See, I had been debating doing that for the leather helmet era unis I've put on here so far, but figured with how alot of people are about the black, I sure didn't wanna open a new can with the brown...but I admit, I have been curious to see how that'd look. : )>

Lots of us would love to see the '71 back for a homecoming game.

Yeah, well these uniforms aren't working anymore. Maybe tweaking our flavor is a good thing. Changing a uniform is certainly not going to hurt, if anything it grabs attention. If your flipping channels and see a Jersey you don't recognize, or a new style, do you not stop to see who it is and if you like, or dislike them?

So what we have a long standing tradition with the same uniform.. Today's future players could careless about that. And unless we're winning, we're just a sucky bottom feeder of the sec with an old traditional T on our helmets. It's unappreciated by almost everyone except a few.

On the other hand a new jersey is fun, cool, exciting, gains attention/press. Says we're not afraid to change and take chances, to grow change and evolve with the world around us.

Tennessee is Tennessee no matter what. The ONLY brand that matters is winning today, not last decade. Why some people act like if we changed our uniform we would be an unknown team is beyond me. Has anyone lost Oregon? Can you not read info on the tv? And when any football athlete is in public and sees a winning teams logo, he will know exactly who it is. We all recognize that blue K as Kentucky, but that thought is automatically tied to a thought of a piss poor football team. For the past decade our tradition is hurting us more than helping. Beyond that were unknown to recruits

The uniforms are working fine. The problem is that we've spent almost a decade with an imbecile as AD, have a douchebag for a chancellor and were coached by one of the worst coaches in SEC history for the last 3 years. But keep telling yourself that our uniforms are the problem. When Alabama spent the better part of a decade wandering in the desert, did they correct their problem by hiring a great coaching staff, or did they fix it by trotting out on the field in some embarrassing flavor-of-the-month uniforms?

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back