Vandy board

the whole dropping anchors on ships in battle is a real thing. Bomb Ketches and Mortar Brigs used bow and stern anchors because they needed to be stationary to fire mortars. So the term is valid.and in that context it actually makes perfect sense in the usage. We can make fun of Vandy for a lot of things but to think they'd have a school motto that didn't make sense is silly. don't make them feel good because we cant google. Took me like 30 seconds to find that.
Eighteenth Century Bomb Ketch by Harry Schenawolf

I'm quite aware of the niche use. Given that niche use... Vandy's "Anchors Down" isn't about defending your ground, it's about remaining stationary and hoping your opponent has no means of recourse?

Sounds about right also.

Dude, they could just use "Full Steam Ahead" and that would make 100% sense. Why are people dying on this hill with Vandy? Their motto is stupid.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I had a textbook broken hand misdiagnosed by a Vanderbilt Professor of Internal Medicine, and once had to explain to a Vanderbilt intern at my work where the back of the copier was. I’ve also caught a Vanderbilt graduate falsifying medical records. I’ve rubbed shoulders with Vanderbilt graduates for 17 years, and I could go on and on...

If Vanderbilt really is ranked #15 in the US, that report is not credible
I have to give credit to doctors at Vanderbilt Hospital for saving my life. Not sure if they were actual Vandy grads themselves, but without them, I'd have already left this earth.

That said, I tend to separate the university and the hospital as two individual entities so I'm not cheering against those who saved me. Screw Vanderbilt University, yay Vanderbilt Hospital, lol.

Double anchor: bow and stern. And like I said...ONLY if you outrange any onshore guns.
Plus, modern fire control makes dialing in a target a piece of cake, even at high speed which I think was the point you were making. I was thinking primarily of the days of Nelson and the tactics they may have used.

Plus, modern fire control makes dialing in a target a piece of cake, even at high speed which I think was the point you were making. I was thinking primarily of the days of Nelson and the tactics they may have used.
Ok...a little research and I found the strategy I was talking about, Nelson and the Bombardment of Copenhagen. Definitely NOT something you could do today, but in the age of sail, you still could anchor down and let shot fly.
The Battle of Copenhagen | History Today

I have to give credit to doctors at Vanderbilt Hospital for saving my life. Not sure if they were actual Vandy grads themselves, but without them, I'd have already left this earth.

That said, I tend to separate the university and the hospital as two individual entities so I'm not cheering against those who saved me. Screw Vanderbilt University, yay Vanderbilt Hospital, lol.
My dad, a UT grad, and long time Nashville resident, donated his body to Vandy Med School. When he passed on, my sister and I dressed him in his orange UT shirt. When we had told him of the plan, he smiled at the prospect of one last posthumous jab at Vandy on his way out.

Good job at spewing misinformation. Vanderbilt is #15 in US News and World Report College Rankings for 2020. It is ranked above one Ivy League School and is near Duke and Northwestern. Stanford at #4 is ranked higher than most of the Ivy League. There are no state schools ranked above Vanderbilt. No one knows exactly where it came from, but the century old term Harvard of the South did not originate from Vanderbilt. Rice, Tulane and Duke have also been called The Harvard of the South.
Spew misinformation you say? Correct me if I am wrong O’ Wise one but for starters Stanford is ranked #6(you said 4) You also agree with me that all 3 of the private schools that I listed are ranked higher than VU.Per your source Cal- Berkeley is #22 and if memory serves is classified as a “state school”. Michigan , again as cited in your source, is #25. UVA is #28. So let’s look at the numbers here professor . I cited Harvard (#2) , Stanford (#6)& Duke (#10) as private Universities with not only higher enrollment standards but also as schools perceived internationally as better schools than VU. I am talking about perception outside of the 37205 zip code here chief . Are you following me so far? Let me know if I am going too fast . VU @ #15 is essentially just as close in the rankings to the state schools with a gap if you will of 7,10&13 -vs- the private school gap 13,9&5. I am not sure if you are a VU grad or a troll but if it is the latter you might want to go back to Peabody for a basic reading comprehension refresher .

edit : originally included a personal insult at the beginning of my post . I removed it . My argument stands without adding any personal insults.

Last edited:
Bunch of self righteous punks over there. Y’all need to check out Vandymania.

No, I don't. I might, if somebody invites me, check out the MTSU, ETSU, Austin Peed, Memphis, Chattanooga, or LMU boards. I will never read a Vandy board. It is beneath me.

Reactions: StarRaider
81zgGL.gif

"That said, I tend to separate the university and the hospital as two individual entities so I'm not cheering against those who saved me. Screw Vanderbilt University, yay Vanderbilt Hospital, lol."

The University and the Hospital are separate and totally independent entities.[/QUOTE]

And the US News College ranking system has some significant flaws in it's methodology.

For one, they place a significant amount of weight on the % of alum who donate money to the schools general fund. This doesn't capture those who donate to a specific scholarship fund, a specific program or other non general fund gifts. The point is, giving money back to a school doesn't have a strong correlation to the quality of education received.

Those rankings are like pre-season college football polls. Based largely on folklore and conjecture and lacking in substance.

Reactions: VolDave53

VN Store

Back