Utah State

Utah State does lose 7 starters on both sides of the ball and 18 seniors from their 2-deep.

With our Juco talent coming in, I don't think this will be a loss, but it will be a test.

Either way, probably serves us better in the long run than playing a Austin Peay, no? This will be a much more exciting opener and they will definitely have our attention.

Reactions: 1 person
Utah State does lose 7 starters on both sides of the ball and 18 seniors from their 2-deep.

With our Juco talent coming in, I don't think this will be a loss, but it will be a test.

Either way, probably serves us better in the long run than playing a Austin Peay, no? This will be a much more exciting opener and they will definitely have our attention.

Tests are good. This will force the boys to focus in camp and be ready at the beginning of the year.

I think Utah State should be a good opening measuring stick for the team.

They do however by my count lose 15 starters. including much of their OL/DL top 2 pass catchers and rushers.

They do return Chuckie Keeton and Joe Hill(was the starter at RB) next year but both are coming back from ACL injuries. While we have seen improvement with people returning from this injury with success in recent years that is more an exception than a rule. Here are some articles on it. It will also be their first games in basically a year so there should be plenty of rust.

They also return plenty of their talent on defense just might not have as much depth as they did this year. They will likely have a stout run defense again next year

Here are a couple articles regarding ACL tear and recovery:

Outcomes of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries to Running Backs and Wide Receivers in the National Football League

ACL injuries no longer spelling doom for football careers

I think Utah State should be a good opening measuring stick for the team.

They do however by my count lose 15 starters. including much of their OL/DL top 2 pass catchers and rushers.

They do return Chuckie Keeton and Joe Hill(was the starter at RB) next year but both are coming back from ACL injuries. While we have seen improvement with people returning from this injury with success in recent years that is more an exception than a rule. Here are some articles on it. It will also be their first games in basically a year so there should be plenty of rust.

They also return plenty of their talent on defense just might not have as much depth as they did this year. They will likely have a stout run defense again next year

Here are a couple articles regarding ACL tear and recovery:

Outcomes of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries to Running Backs and Wide Receivers in the National Football League

ACL injuries no longer spelling doom for football careers
Welcome to our dysfunctional family.

All of their leading RBs and WRs are seniors, along with most of their D. They won't be the same team next year. They will still give us a fight but hopefully we will have too many athletes and will get the W

The disconnect between the reality of where UT football is, with respect to future potential, and ridiculous fan expectations will make the reaction(s) of many VN posters even more entertaining than last season. Geez, now my head hurts. LOL

Unfortunately, I agree, but I think this is putting it mildly. Those who abandon support for CBJ at this point are clueless, IMO, and really have no idea how long it takes to develop talent, regardless of the raw talent level entering in the 2014 season.
Sorry but no. Some of you act like he's trying to undertake a task that has never been done before or worse than any other. That simply isn't true. If he's the right coach then he will win. He gets three years but everything he does or does not do in those three years "counts". He doesn't get passes because he didn't have a primrose path to walk.

It would be "clueless" to let a coach have 4 or 5 years losing to the likes of Vandy, Utah State, So Alabama (almost), etc on the hope that some day... some way... he'll luck out and win a game or two.

We expect to start a lot of freshmen again, and because of that, it's unfair to expect instant success, be it either spoken or unspoken from the fan base.
Not if this staff can coach... and there really shouldn't be any starting Fr that aren't just extraordinary players if the staff does its job during the off-season. Freshmen will be in the two deep but if you look around the SEC... that's common for most teams.

I am not sure who is expecting "instant' success. Asking them to beat Vandy this past year was not asking for "instant success"... it was asking for competence. Getting six wins was asking for them to get at LEAST the "reasonable" expectation from the experience and talent they had on the roster.

They failed. That one is done. We now look forward to their next opportunity and some folks seem totally intent on establishing the bar so low that nothing will fail to meet expectations.

The best idea is to temper expectations and just get through 2014 before we can start looking at "domination" again (and I use that term loosely).
No. The best idea is to set and keep high expectations and standards then act accordingly when they aren't met. That's what winning programs do.

Frankly this whole "hope we win some day but I know Butch is the guy regardless of whether he's proven it or not" attitude.... is a loser's attitude. He should EARN trust. At some point he must do MORE with his roster than he should have.

Reactions: 2 people
All of their leading RBs and WRs are seniors, along with most of their D. They won't be the same team next year. They will still give us a fight but hopefully we will have too many athletes and will get the W

Hopefully, we won't be the same team next year! We'll have some new faces and I'm excited about that. Time for some meaningful W's. :yes:

Not to throw any sanity into this effort to assure that the bar is set so low that a loss to Utah State AT HOME in spite of having FAR more talent would be acceptable.... However they not only DO have far less talent, they lose 7 of their top 11 tacklers, their top two WR's, and their top two RB's.

So... they will also break in a bunch of new players. They will have less talent... at least based on the ONLY measure by which we can say Jones is doing a good job... recruiting rankings. But some of you seem to think it would be acceptable to lose to them?

The disconnect between the reality of where UT football is, with respect to future potential, and ridiculous fan expectations will make the reaction(s) of many VN posters even more entertaining than last season. Geez, now my head hurts. LOL

The "ridiculous" here are those who excuse poor coaching and blame lack of talent for everything. That's the true "disconnect".

There also seems to be a "disconnect" between what some of us BELIEVE AND SAY and what is CONVENIENT for some of the rest of you to say we believe and say.

Jones and company underperformed the potential of the '13 roster. I am on record saying that it will take a "good" job equivalent to a 7 win season this year for them to win 6 next fall. Guess that's a ridiculous expectation though, huh?

Sorry but no. Some of you act like he's trying to undertake a task that has never been done before or worse than any other. That simply isn't true. If he's the right coach then he will win. He gets three years but everything he does or does not do in those three years "counts". He doesn't get passes because he didn't have a primrose path to walk.

It would be "clueless" to let a coach have 4 or 5 years losing to the likes of Vandy, Utah State, So Alabama (almost), etc on the hope that some day... some way... he'll luck out and win a game or two.

Not if this staff can coach... and there really shouldn't be any starting Fr that aren't just extraordinary players if the staff does its job during the off-season. Freshmen will be in the two deep but if you look around the SEC... that's common for most teams.

I am not sure who is expecting "instant' success. Asking them to beat Vandy this past year was not asking for "instant success"... it was asking for competence. Getting six wins was asking for them to get at LEAST the "reasonable" expectation from the experience and talent they had on the roster.

They failed. That one is done. We now look forward to their next opportunity and some folks seem totally intent on establishing the bar so low that nothing will fail to meet expectations.

No. The best idea is to set and keep high expectations and standards then act accordingly when they aren't met. That's what winning programs do.

Frankly this whole "hope we win some day but I know Butch is the guy regardless of whether he's proven it or not" attitude.... is a loser's attitude. He should EARN trust. At some point he must do MORE with his roster than he should have.

You live in a fantasy world. It seems like you believe Nick Saban should be able to go in to any bad school and turn it around in 1 or 2 years just because hes a good coach. There are other factors in play and sometimes it takes longer. Butch is building this team from the ground up. Hes not taking over a talented program like Auburn or USC. This is a complete rebuild.

some folks seem totally intent on establishing the bar so low that nothing will fail to meet expectations.

Yep. This is totally what volnation has become in the past year. I shudder to think what it will look like a year from now..."UT has never lost every game in a season before, Butch is keeping our streak alive!"

You live in a fantasy world. It seems like you believe Nick Saban should be able to go in to any bad school and turn it around in 1 or 2 years just because hes a good coach. There are other factors in play and sometimes it takes longer. Butch is building this team from the ground up. Hes not taking over a talented program like Auburn or USC. This is a complete rebuild.

No one asked Butch to beat Oregon or Alabama. Some (and really it's a dwindling number) thought he might be able to beat Vanderbilt, at home, coming off a bye week. Crazy, right?

VN Store

Back