Utah State

Not to throw any sanity into this effort to assure that the bar is set so low that a loss to Utah State AT HOME in spite of having FAR more talent would be acceptable.... However they not only DO have far less talent, they lose 7 of their top 11 tacklers, their top two WR's, and their top two RB's.

So... they will also break in a bunch of new players. They will have less talent... at least based on the ONLY measure by which we can say Jones is doing a good job... recruiting rankings. But some of you seem to think it would be acceptable to lose to them?

Butch said losing is not acceptable at Tennessee and he is exactly right. Losing to the utah states of the world will get any coach a pink slip. :yes:

These Phantom injuries are always discovered 2 or 3 weeks after the season is over.

Yeah, it's amazing, really. Just like how our coaches never make a mistake until after they're fired and then, it turns out, they've created such a mess, the next guy can't be held accountable for anything for years!

Butch said losing is not acceptable at Tennessee and he is exactly right. Losing to the utah states of the world will get any coach a pink slip. :yes:

There was a day when losing to the Vanderbilts of the world got the UT coach a pink slip. Now, it's called a good season.

Reactions: 1 person
All of you posters that are talking about how bad the Vols are and how damn good Utah St. is can either put up or shut up. I'll take a hundred on the game from any of you.

For the past few years Utah State either knocks off somebody in an upset or nearly knocks them off ... they are a solid football team and will not make a lot of mistakes ... we'll have to play very well to beat them ... this will not be a pushover by any stretch of the imagination... those cats can play.

Can we think of any more excuses? Come on, I'm sure we could make up a pet that died this year or something.

Are you suggesting that he wasn't hurt? Or are you suggesting an injured hand shouldn't impact a quarterback's performance?

Reactions: 4 people
No one asked Butch to beat Oregon or Alabama. Some (and really it's a dwindling number) thought he might be able to beat Vanderbilt, at home, coming off a bye week. Crazy, right?

It was a close game that we lost literally by inches. We had a true freshman quarterback and no good receivers.

2012 we have an NFL quarterback 2 NFL receivers and and NFL tight end and we got blown out.

I'd say that's progress.

Reactions: 2 people
It was a close game that we lost literally by inches. We had a true freshman quarterback and no good receivers.

2012 we have an NFL quarterback 2 NFL receivers and and NFL tight end and we got blown out.

I'd say that's progress.

It was Vanderbilt. "Progress" is not the word I would use.

You live in a fantasy world. It seems like you believe Nick Saban should be able to go in to any bad school and turn it around in 1 or 2 years just because hes a good coach.
Nope. They "fantasy" world is the one folks like you have constructed so that you don't have to deal with the blemishes and flaws we've already seen from this staff. And again, you have to depend on a COMPLETELY false straw man to even make an argument. If you have to depend on deceptive tactics to "prove" your point then that should tell you a lot.

First, UT is not a bad "school". They are comparable right now to a lot of other "turnaround" jobs that other coaches have undertaken. Some have failed. Some have succeeded. MOST you can tell within a couple of years which way it is headed... and no... not based on recruiting rankings or one good signing class.

Second, he didn't have to turn anything around to win 6 games this past season. They just had to coach the talent they had.

Third, asking for 6 or 7 wins is hardly even asking for a "turnaround"... expecting something that looks like a credible effort from the staff and players is not the equivalent of demanding that he go to the SEC CG in '13 or even '14. Asking for them to at least show up against good teams like Bama, Oregon, Mizzou, and Auburn isn't really asking too much.

There are other factors in play and sometimes it takes longer.
You pay coaches to deal with those "other factors" and no... that does NOT mean it takes longer.

Even if UT is willing to give him indefinite time which they might as far as I know... recruiting will dry up if he doesn't notch some wins to give himself credibility. He's goes 5-7 again... don't look for anything like the '14 class or even the '13 class. Those talented out of state guys currently interested will find the hot coach.

Butch is building this team from the ground up. Hes not taking over a talented program like Auburn or USC. This is a complete rebuild.
No it isn't. It isn't where USC or even Auburn was but it is NOT a "ground up" build. It is not entirely dissimilar from what Sumlin inherited at TAM or Freeze at Ole Miss. Those guys proved they could coach in YEAR ONE... not year 12.

FWIW, the Auburn case is closer than you will ever want to admit. Malzahn has simply proven himself to be a very, very good SEC level coach. Jones has not done that yet.

Are you suggesting that he wasn't hurt? Or are you suggesting an injured hand shouldn't impact a quarterback's performance?

I'm saying that I don't believe he was hurt in any significant way. Or are you suggesting that he was too injured to play but Butch played him anyway?

I'm saying that I don't believe he was hurt in any significant way. Or are you suggesting that he was too injured to play but Butch played him anyway?

It is quite possible that he was too hurt to play, but had to because he was the only QB without a fractured thumb or leg. Thanks for pointing that out to the other people on here that were unaware.

Auburn case is closer than you will ever want to admit. Malzahn has simply proven himself to be a very, very good SEC level coach. Jones has not done that yet.

I tend to think his offense will fizzle out. The wildcat was a huge success when it first hit and now no one ever uses it. Malzahn got extremely lucky against Bama and even luckier against UGA.

Butch has proven he can coach at this level, just ask Spurrier. Wonder what Mark Richt would say?

The wins will come. I'm not going to be like you and decide hes not a good coach before he gets his fair chance. 3 years from now if were 7-5 ill be right there with you but I'm going to stay positive and give the guy a chance before I start spreading hate.

Reactions: 2 people
I tend to think his offense will fizzle out. The wildcat was a huge success when it first hit and now no one ever uses it. Malzahn got extremely lucky against Bama and even luckier against UGA.

Butch has proven he can coach at this level, just ask Spurrier. Yeah, because that one had nothing to do with luck. Wonder what Mark Richt would say? "Thank goodness he's not James Franklin"?

The wins will come. I'm not going to be like you and decide hes not a good coach before he gets his fair chance. 3 years from now if were 7-5 ill be right there with you but I'm going to stay positive and give the guy a chance before I start spreading hate. Why is this the only job in America where making any evaluations before 3 full years are up is considered not a "fair chance"?

so who looked like they had more potential

ainge and scheffer.. spelling ....
dobbs

no comparision on who i was more excited about..:hi:

I never was excited about schaeffer. Ainge (as a freshman) had a couple of throws that made me think he could be really good (turns out, he was) and otherwise played a lot like a freshman (for instance, below 50% in three of our more important games).

Dobbs had some very nice runs and a few really good zippy throws, but otherwise played a lot like a freshman. In the later games, he hobbled on some of his runs, and he had much more zip on his throws in the Bama game than in later games (though he squeezed a couple through tight windows in the Kentucky game), looking very much like he was nursing minor injuries. After the Kentucky game, they confirmed this (thigh and thumb) and asked what % he thought he was at and he said, "Good enough to play."

Last edited:
For the past few years Utah State either knocks off somebody in an upset or nearly knocks them off ... they are a solid football team and will not make a lot of mistakes ... we'll have to play very well to beat them ... this will not be a pushover by any stretch of the imagination... those cats can play.

IOW's, it will take a well coached team to beat them, right?

That's all some of us are asking for... something we did NOT see this year.... or last.

VN Store

Back