"UT Football is 5x worse than you think it is."

Condsider the source. It is 680 the Fan in Atlanta which is the homer sports station in Atlanta. It is staffed with a lot of ex Georgia players and graduates as well as the Auburn grad. I lived in the Atlanta when that station became a sports talk station well know its history. They have always been supportive of Georgia and have always found joy in attacking Georgia Tech and Tennessee to the benefit of Georgia. They have influence on the recruiting efforts of Atlanta area athlets and have always promoted Georgia while trying to dicredit Georgia Tech and Tennessee. I am not at all surprised that they would make such statements on the air. Fortunately, the Big Orange Club in Atlanta was very active and, back in the old days when we could be somewhat involved in recruiting, we could counter act much of the negative atmosphere created by the media. The ability to assist in the recruiting stopped when the NCAA decided that fans could no longer participate in those activites. We must consider the source of information before we fall for their schemes.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Yes, they were, but their offense was really good before Kiffin got there. Kiffin changed the style of their offense, but it isn't like he made their offense "explosive." It was already good before he got there.

If by "explosive" you mean they threw the ball more, or they had a more dynamic QB, then I suppose that's true, but they've always scored points.
Yeah, they have been good at everything for a really long time. All im saying is that kiffin changed their style of offense to keep up with the times. He did it in a single year, none of this " guys to fit our system" crap. Much like he did ours in one year, only to a lesser extent. So what originally started the debate was whether cromptons improvement was more contributed to kiffin or chaney? Given the two styles etc, I tend to think it was kiffin.

I live in Missouri and watch Mizzou get better every week and with continuity. They have a new coach, brand new d coordinator and Dooley. Their recruiting classes suck every year. If we think it's Butch's player's fault we are naive at best...
This is one major reason I think the narrative is more on the coaches than the players for these abysmal performances. We don't have Bama, UGA, LSU talent, but we should very well be able to put a reasonable product on the field which can compete (not necessarily win), on any given Saturday, with "the big middle" of the SEC.

OK, but that is more of a damming statement on Butch's recruiting rather than the current staffs coaching ability and backs up what I have said before that maybe JG is a great practice QB and not so much a game QB.
The coaching should be good enough that players are being beat physically, not mentally.

Example: the opposing team blitzes and the offensive line and running backs each pick up a guy and put a hat on a hat. They may get beat, but they all picked somebody up. Coaching is when two guys come unblocked play after play after play.

Offensively looks like they know more what they are doing (although there are issues) except the QB, but defensively it’s bad

It’s why you can see that Georgia State was all coaching. Players had no idea what they were doing and you could see it

As much as I hate to agree with a floriduh fan, that post was spot on.

You can blame JGs presence on the team on Lyle, but the failure to recognize his lack of game ability and failure to secure a serviceable grad transfer - that’s on slingblade.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I just listened to podcast of Chuck Oliver "The King of College Football" for 680 The Fan in Atlanta. He asked his co-host, "How would you describe the current state of UT football?" Co-host says, "a F-ing nightmare." Oliver responds, "It's 5 times worse than that."

He goes on to say that when JG signed with UT, Barton Simmons of 247sports told him that JG was always good in skills competitions, but it never translated to the game. "He can throw the ball through the tire....he'll always be one of the best athletes, but it won't show up during the game." Also says the offense drops passes and they don't block.

Defensively he said, "I can't remember another SEC defense I have ever seen as consistently out of position on every single play."

For the overall team he said, "they don't block up front, they're consistently out of position, they're poorly prepared, and they don't tackle on defense."

Take it for what it's worth. He is an Auburn grad and unabashed fan.

It may be unbiased, but it's not really that informative. A lot of empty opinion.

Tell me the advantage of keeping onto Pruitt for another year after what we all assume will be a 2-10 record at best? Just going to dig us a deeper hole. Most teams by the second year under a new coach develop a identity on each side of the ball but that hasn't happened

Do you really believe Saban could take our players and do better? No way. This comes down to youth and lack of talent forcing us to play guys until we can develop depth. Coaches are NOT the issue here.

Lol, calm down dude, its almost like you're excited about it.
Not excited for the expected ASSWHOOOOPING, I am not seeing any sense of urgency to change the expected results, other than our coaching staff asking fans to quit posting anything that isn't great about UT.....

Yeah, they have been good at everything for a really long time. All im saying is that kiffin changed their style of offense to keep up with the times. He did it in a single year, none of this " guys to fit our system" crap. Much like he did ours in one year, only to a lesser extent. So what originally started the debate was whether cromptons improvement was more contributed to kiffin or chaney? Given the two styles etc, I tend to think it was kiffin.
Kiffin made changes based on the personnel he had. Kiffin's most dynamic offense was the 2016 year when he had Hurts; he really started using some read option concepts then because he had the QB to do so. Also used it a little with Blake Sims. He didn't run read option with Jake Coker. He was able to make these one-year changes because he adapted to the personnel he had.

That's one of the geniuses of Saban - as much as he would like to be, he isn't beholden to one way of doing things.

OK, but that is more of a damming statement on Butch's recruiting rather than the current staffs coaching ability and backs up what I have said before that maybe JG is a great practice QB and not so much a game QB.

It's been said by hundreds of poster before but I will say it again, these are Pruitt's players and have been for the last 1.5 years. After 1.5 years, the D line still cannot line up in the proper gaps. The secondary is having problems lining up this year. The Mike LBacker is biting on the play action on a 3rd and 20 play? Are you kidding me????.

Pruitt is reaping the whirlwind folks. The first O&W game he told everyone in the media that certain players quit. he told the media that the UT fans were pitiful. He went on National TV and told the nation that all his upperclassman would be recruited over while playing against the best team in CFB history!!!!! He took the OC's playbook halfway through the season and took over both the DC play calling and OC play callling. Pruitt treats his players like shi&&t and then expects them to play their heart out on Sat. Are you kidding me????

If I go out and slander and defame my employees on national TV - who in their right mind thinks that those same employees will ever want to work hard for me again? Pruitt in 5 to 10 years may be an average head coach. I doubt he will ever get another chance. HE IS THAT BAD. I hope he does as I do not wish that anyone fails. But with UT he has easily been the WORST HEAD COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. The only coach that I can compare him to IMO is Charlie Weis.

Kiffin made changes based on the personnel he had. Kiffin's most dynamic offense was the 2016 year when he had Hurts; he really started using some read option concepts then because he had the QB to do so. Also used it a little with Blake Sims. He didn't run read option with Jake Coker. He was able to make these one-year changes because he adapted to the personnel he had.

That's one of the geniuses of Saban - as much as he would like to be, he isn't beholden to one way of doing things.
Yeah I know, I wish we could get coaches that adapted to and got the most out of what it has. Instead we have to get good coaches that need perfect conditions to ve successful.

Reactions: VolInNW

Pretty damning as far as the D being out of position. Especially since the HC is a defensive guy.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Georgia Homer’s attacking Tennessee in one of the biggest recruiting grounds in the country. Trying to lock Tennessee out of the Atlanta metro area. Wonder how many high school HCs around there listen to that station and advise their players where to go based on what they say?

At the end of the day tho, maybe Tennessee shouldn’t give them so much ammo to work with. We are a garbage fire. Lol

Literally every star-obsessed recruitnik thought highly of JG. He was a very highly ranked dual-threat QB that is slower than Peyton Manning. All the Rivals and 24/7 guys need to take that L with dignity.

It highlights how a lot of these recruiting rankings are B.S., based on where you camp, what school/coach you commit to, how much your handlers "promote" you, where you go to high school, with a little bit of how good you are mixed in.

Reactions: Thorp32
Literally every star-obsessed recruitnik thought highly of JG. He was a very highly ranked dual-threat QB that is slower than Peyton Manning. All the Rivals and 24/7 guys need to take that L with dignity.

It highlights how a lot of these recruiting rankings are B.S., based on where you camp, what school/coach you commit to, how much your handlers "promote" you, where you go to high school, with a little bit of how good you are mixed in.
If Simmons (or someone else) can provide some kind of documentation proving he made that statement about JG before he ever played a game at Tennessee, it might be worth something.

Thing is, as much as I'd like to bash recruiting rankings, you cannot deny the incredible correlation between teams who are consistently high in them and teams that compete for championships. You can get into the weeds and say that an individual player was overrated, or even a team's class in a particular year was overrated, and it would be for the reasons you suggest (what camp you went to, what school you committed to, etc.). However generally speaking over long periods of time those rankings aren't wrong. I mean, all of the teams that have consistently competed for titles over the last decade have consistently been top 10/top 5 in those rankings. Teams that are consistently outside of them don't consistently compete for titles.

Reactions: JokermanVol
Georgia Homer’s attacking Tennessee in one of the biggest recruiting grounds in the country. Trying to lock Tennessee out of the Atlanta metro area. Wonder how many high school HCs around there listen to that station and advise their players where to go based on what they say?

At the end of the day tho, maybe Tennessee shouldn’t give them so much ammo to work with. We are a garbage fire. Lol
We're so bad right now I don't think an ATL radio show bashing us makes it any worse. Anybody can see it with their own two eyes.

We're so bad right now I don't think an ATL radio show bashing us makes it any worse. Anybody can see it with their own two eyes.

Yeah. But our coaches probably can still sell the “playing time” angle to recruits.

These guys are hitting the “it’s a dysfunctional locker room and staff” angle to push recruits from even considering the team at all. What good is playing time if your staff and fellow players are at each other’s necks non stop. No one wants to deal with that. Even for playing time.

The first problem we are dealing with is the ability to play the 3/4 defensive scheme. Just plain and simple. Tennessee's best years we yearn for were 4/3 with Fulmer and that was how we won and it was our bread and butter. It's tough to change from a defense that worked and then became obsolete. Next Guarantano! He probably would have been a good quarterback with the right team that didn't have all of the turnover at OC position during his years. Don't blame him, he tries and everybody wants to win! I really think Pruitt will win and like everybody had mentioned many times, that it takes recruiting the players to adapt to the 3/4 defensive scheme, so we need to hang on to our recruiting class and hopefully Bailey will be the answer. On a side note, before Georgia evolved to their so called elitism they had a 5 star quarterback in Eason who was evolving into next Mathew Stafford. He gone and Fromm turn out to be the man. All it takes is one good solid quarterback to make a few good plays to change the psychology of team. Georgia over the years has always been loaded with defensive recruits but always lost simply because of psychology. One good quarterback is all it takes. Stay the course Volnation and don't let the current tough time to destroy who are. As far as Elitism our program was in the 10 all time in wins in CFB history and don't know where they are now but, we are not that far away now. The most bowl games etc. Go Big O!!

I always considered the mark of a good coach in any team sport was how well his team was prepared and well drilled in the fundamentals regardless of what level of athlete was involved. Its amazing how a star deprived team that is fundamentally sound can overachieve. It's just as amazing how a bunch of unprepared 4 and 5 star athletes can be made to look silly when they run into a Georgia State or Appalachian State.

I always considered the mark of a good coach in any team sport was how well his team was prepared and well drilled in the fundamentals regardless of what level of athlete was involved. Its amazing how a star deprived team that is fundamentally sound can overachieve. It's just as amazing how a bunch of unprepared 4 and 5 star athletes can be made to look silly when they run into a Georgia State or Appalachian State.
Great post and very true!

Reactions: Booker512

VN Store

Back