"UT Football is 5x worse than you think it is."

westy

Bigger Better Vols
I just listened to podcast of Chuck Oliver "The King of College Football" for 680 The Fan in Atlanta. He asked his co-host, "How would you describe the current state of UT football?" Co-host says, "a F-ing nightmare." Oliver responds, "It's 5 times worse than that."

He goes on to say that when JG signed with UT, Barton Simmons of 247sports told him that JG was always good in skills competitions, but it never translated to the game. "He can throw the ball through the tire....he'll always be one of the best athletes, but it won't show up during the game." Also says the offense drops passes and they don't block.

Defensively he said, "I can't remember another SEC defense I have ever seen as consistently out of position on every single play."

For the overall team he said, "they don't block up front, they're consistently out of position, they're poorly prepared, and they don't tackle on defense."

Take it for what it's worth. He is an Auburn grad and unabashed fan.

Don't know what kind of kid JG is. Last year he got smacked around alot. It's like being on the shooting range, popping paper targets 7 yards away while standing straight up. Most can do that. But get into an active shooter situation, an adrenaline dump, poop your britches deal, and most would look like JG on 3rd and 13. The D has been seen out of position on occasion.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
OK, but that is more of a damming statement on Butch's recruiting rather than the current staffs coaching ability and backs up what I have said before that maybe JG is a great practice QB and not so much a game QB.
Ok...now do the poorly prepared and out of position part. Whose fault is that?

You can train dogs or monkeys to stand in the right place. Why not 3,4, and 5 star athletes?

Last edited:
OK, but that is more of a damming statement on Butch's recruiting rather than the current staffs coaching ability and backs up what I have said before that maybe JG is a great practice QB and not so much a game QB.
While it's more damning to Lyle's recruiting, it's more damning to Pruitt’s coaching.

Last edited:

Maybe the first comment, but not these.

For the overall team he said, "they don't block up front, they're consistently out of position, they're poorly prepared, and they don't tackle on defense."

Granted I don't really agree with him.

Our receivers don't have a drop problem.. We just had one bad one last week. And I haven't noticed any bad tackling. If our front doesn't get pushed back we rarely struggle to tackle.

The coaching should be good enough that players are being beat physically, not mentally.

Example: the opposing team blitzes and the offensive line and running backs each pick up a guy and put a hat on a hat. They may get beat, but they all picked somebody up. Coaching is when two guys come unblocked play after play after play.

Offensively looks like they know more what they are doing (although there are issues) except the QB, but defensively it’s bad

It’s why you can see that Georgia State was all coaching. Players had no idea what they were doing and you could see it

I just listened to podcast of Chuck Oliver "The King of College Football" for 680 The Fan in Atlanta. He asked his co-host, "How would you describe the current state of UT football?" Co-host says, "a F-ing nightmare." Oliver responds, "It's 5 times worse than that."

He goes on to say that when JG signed with UT, Barton Simmons of 247sports told him that JG was always good in skills competitions, but it never translated to the game. "He can throw the ball through the tire....he'll always be one of the best athletes, but it won't show up during the game." Also says the offense drops passes and they don't block.

Defensively he said, "I can't remember another SEC defense I have ever seen as consistently out of position on every single play."

Tell me the advantage of keeping onto Pruitt for another year after what we all assume will be a 2-10 record at best? Just going to dig us a deeper hole. Most teams by the second year under a new coach develop a identity on each side of the ball but that hasn't happened

The coaching should be good enough that players are being beat physically, not mentally.

Example: the opposing team blitzes and the offensive line and running backs each pick up a guy and put a hat on a hat. They may get beat, but they all picked somebody up. Coaching is when two guys come unblocked play after play after play.

It’s why you can see that Georgia State was all coaching. Players had no idea what they were doing and you could see it
The reptile is correct sadly.

Then I would just state the obvious. Jeremy Pruitt's one victory of significance was at Auburn last year... and 5 times worse than what we think it is? That's hyperbole. We saw the Georgia State game. We know how bad the team is, and how poorly prepared and unmotivated they have been.

Offensively looks like they know more what they are doing (although there are issues) except the QB, but defensively it’s bad

JG said in his post game presser that they were confused by GA ST defense.....GA ST....imagine what good coaches with good talent will do?

So, the exact opposite of Josh Dobbs. Butch always said Dobbs didn’t practice well. This team would be at least 3-1 with Dobbs and I would not have bet against them with him at Fla. We need a qb like Dobbs or Casey Clausen. Play the kids.

Tell me the advantage of keeping onto Pruitt for another year after what we all assume will be a 2-10 record at best? Just going to dig us a deeper hole. Most teams by the second year under a new coach develop a identity on each side of the ball but that hasn't happened

Well, we still have 8 games left so if you were to ask me Id say at least wait until you don't need to assume anymore.

But if you don't want to do that, go ahead and fire him, I'm sick of hearing all the whiners crying about him. Fire him and let Phil bring in another pos coach everyone can cry about.

Start the process all over again. Some will get all butthurt and tell us all "I'm out", only to show up a year and a half later to start crying about this failure of a coach and the administration bargain bin shopping for coaches and want to fire him and hire another one, and, Lol, I swear I blow snot bubbles typing this...they say " give me one good reason you want to give this guy more than 16 games?"

Then we can fire him and....well, you all know the rest.

VN Store

Back