UT administration after Kiffan bolted...

This thought has crossed my mind given the carousel occurring right now. If USC can pull Riley from OU, LSU can pull Kelly from ND, A&M can pull Fisher from FSU, why couldn't UT pull a proven winner from another program, rather than coordinators and up and comers? Seems like all it takes is money.

When Kiphen left, the buffuhns running UT athletics decided they related more to the buhphoon at La Tech more than they related to Kiffun anyway. Let's face it, Kiphihn was playing 3D chess, while our administration of bufuons was playing checkers.

Bottom line, our buhphuhns got played by Laiyne Kiphyn and opted for a fellow bufewn to replace him because they knew he wasn't smart enough to play them like Kyphun did.

I do agree we had poor leadership back then, but I will also say that the timing of it all was difficult. We ended up having to find a new coach I feel like right before national signing day in January. We were in a mad scramble to salvage a class.

This is EXACTLY right. The timing buried us for over a decade. It happened again when we hired Gump the year they moved early signing period to December who decided to stay on with Bama through the NC game. We got hit twice. Some of it can be traced back to incompetence, letting Haslam have too much of a voice, and/or bad luck and timing. Some people in here have no ability to reason and lack all sense of perspective.

You won't find any Kif fans around here.
I think the "bafoons" are over behind the unicorns.

Kiffan and Kiffen....so close.

Yes and I misspelled Butch and totally brain farted on Jeremy Pruitt's name too. No way all of these occurrences were intentional. Yall don't satire much it seems. You've become too dependent on blue font. Do better.

This thought has crossed my mind given the carousel occurring right now. If USC can pull Riley from OU, LSU can pull Kelly from ND, A&M can pull Fisher from FSU, why couldn't UT pull a proven winner from another program, rather than coordinators and up and comers? Seems like all it takes is money.

My guesses would be UT, the boosters, and the UTAD not being on the same page, and therefore not being able to go "all in" on big decisions with the confidence that everyone was on board, or that someone (or someones) internally sabotaged the process to some personal benefit or satisfaction.

But I'm not sure it's "just money." I think a lot of the "best" coaching candidates want to go to stable, secure coaching environments. These coaches are putting their careers and reputations on the line when they make coaching moves, and they don't want to risk that if they don't have to. Then you have Tennessee, who's cycling through coaches every three years, has to play Alabama (an almost-guaranteed loss for several years) out of their division, and whose fans openly revolt and reject coaches they don't like. Tennessee has appeared like a program in crisis for a decade now. At the macro level, these things all represent instability, which likely inflates asking prices from "the best," both in terms of money and level of control and oversight. And some, I bet, would rather just not entertain the idea at all.

JAN 12---- not many options that late in the off season.

Interim coach and roll with the recruits who really loved their visits and committed. Kiffin ran off several committed prospects, and his recruits never played more than 2 years. so in hindsight it would probably have been better to have an interim. I can't remember his name, I think he was a receivers coach, who publicly campaigned for the interim job.

I think we blundered post Kiffin for mainly two reasons. We were cheap, unwilling to spend what was needed at the time. The UT during Fulmer's time was too generous. I've read that the football program handed over millions to academics, then when that money was really needed, we just didn't have it and academics wasn't willing to give a dime back. I've read, not too long ago, this generosity is no longer available from the athlete department for that very reason.

Glad to see adults still frequent this site... Exactly, we were too cheap. The blue print was there though with Alabama's early success with Saban. Spend the money and it still may not work out but the odds are much better going after a proven coach in contrast to going bottom barrel.

TX thought they got a good one, so did UF and LSU recently had to settle for O. OU is going to get a coordinator so who knows if that pans out either. Big name doesn't necessarily mean big results

3 horrendous hires in a row? At some point it seems intentional.

This is EXACTLY right. The timing buried us for over a decade. It happened again when we hired Gump the year they moved early signing period to December who decided to stay on with Bama through the NC game. We got hit twice. Some of it can be traced back to incompetence, letting Haslam have too much of a voice, and/or bad luck and timing. Some people in here have no ability to reason and lack all sense of perspective.

You say all that like the administration didn't dictate the firing/hiring timeline. Look what USC and LSU did... they got a head of the hire and it's worked out well for them.

I think we blundered post Kiffin for mainly two reasons. We were cheap, unwilling to spend what was needed at the time. The UT during Fulmer's time was too generous. I've read that the football program handed over millions to academics, then when that money was really needed, we just didn't have it and academics wasn't willing to give a dime back. I've read, not too long ago, this generosity is no longer available from the athlete department for that very reason.
Hart stopped that money drain. Credit for that and the Barnes hire.

VN Store

Back