USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

Bold statement for someone that probably never been to a game at the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Visiting does not generate conference revenue but rather rights fees based on media revenue, which Is what this is all about. It's a numbers game based population, eyeballs and clicks. Combined population of SoCal (LA, OC, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino) is over 20 million. LA TV market share is 2nd largest behind the NYC CMSA. This addition to the BIG will offset Texas/Ok's entry into SEC. Visiting, visiting would been an afterthought to their calculations.
Some folks here still think "butts in seats" is the idea. And even it was, I'd advise Bubba not to leave his shotgun in the truck in Knoxville while he's at a game either because the truck and/or the shotgun may be stolen when he gets back.

Neyland IS a great place to sell a recruit on coming with the Vols but kids who grew up on the west coast are going to have a similar experience seeing a game at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl.

USC and UCLA DO broaden the B1G's eyeball base and help recruiting. Denying that is dumb.

College athletics has just gotten stupid. All of this conference realignment and conference expansion--creating super conferences that clearly have way too many member schools now and are rapidly losing the rivalries and regional bases that made them fun and credible. This is all being driven by greed, first, and then the fear of losing out--one conference getting smaller TV deals than another conferences, schools fearful of not making as much money as other schools and so leaving for bigger, more established conferences. As I say, it's all got rather absurd. Manifest greed: It's not pretty and it's ****** up college athletics.
It does seem like this. Like we will all look back on this and say the commissioners were pretty dumb to jump the shark this way. Time will tell.

Bold statement for someone that probably never been to a game at the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Visiting does not generate conference revenue but rather rights fees based on media revenue, which Is what this is all about. It's a numbers game based population, eyeballs and clicks. Combined population of SoCal (LA, OC, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino) is over 20 million. LA TV market share is 2nd largest behind the NYC CMSA. This addition to the BIG will offset Texas/Ok's entry into SEC. Visiting, visiting would been an afterthought to their calculations.

I've been there and plenty of other places. Mine was more so a comment on the dumpster fire those locations currently are with rampant crime and officials in those places that promote it. Have YOU been to LA to see how the city has been ruined by crime?

Yes, anyone with properly firing synapses understands where the largest television markets are in the US. Drive by shootings, street takeovers and snatch and grabs at high end boutiques just aren't MY thing. On the other hand, I have watched games at Aloha stadium and that place should have been replaced 20 years ago. But what's on the outside of the stadium?

If this happens, the ACC and Pac need to just merge. If I was the ACC, it's either **** or get off the pot time for Notre Dame. If the ACC could get Notre Dame games in Cali with Cal and Stanford, maybe that sways them.

Without ND, there's 24 teams. If ND decides to jump in, either Wake or Washington St gets left.

But you have to make a move. Biding your time until the contract runs out is a death sentence. Adding Big 12 or AAC teams won't cut it.

This!!! The main issue is the ACC GOR that runs through 2035 or some such craziness. All of the ACC schools would have to agree to dump it.

If it's a choice between being lots richer or not surviving except as a basketball school, I know which I'd do.

I guess the rest of the Pac 12 can start a new conference like the mountain west and add Air Force and Boise St and a couple of others in there.

Now that Oregon and Washington have applied for membership in the BIG the PAC is a sinking ship. No reason for BIG XII schools to play half their games in the Pacific Time Zone. Plus there is that really nasty exit fee for leaving the BIG XII. The math doesn't add up.

This is even worse news for the teams remaining in the Big XII. The top of the heap in that conference need the rest of the Pac to hang together to form a sort of merger. From Baylor's point of view it would be much better to hook up with the remaining 10 Pac schools.

I'm guessing the Pac-10 pick up San Diego State to get SoCal representation. From there, if they were to add Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, and maybe BYU that conference would garner a much larger media deal that what the new Big XII is going to get. Plus that pulls enough membership to kill the conference and nullify the GoR.

The SEC got two markets with a rabid nationwide following. BIG got two big markets with a luke warm following.

The markets matter but the SEC's move garnered many more viewers.... Not potential viewers, but viewers.

Reactions: bamawriter
zombomeme-30062022234803-jpg.468675

6903a530-b4e8-44c1-b534-b52e03e57589_text.gif

Reactions: UTwild82
College athletics has just gotten stupid. All of this conference realignment and conference expansion--creating super conferences that clearly have way too many member schools now and are rapidly losing the rivalries and regional bases that made them fun and credible. This is all being driven by greed, first, and then the fear of losing out--one conference getting smaller TV deals than another conferences, schools fearful of not making as much money as other schools and so leaving for bigger, more established conferences. As I say, it's all got rather absurd. Manifest greed: It's not pretty and it's ****** up college athletics.
TRUTH. Curmudgeon that I am, missing the days of SEC with 10 teams, SWC, Pac-8, Big (actually) TEN, Atlantic COAST, meaningful bowl games, ad nauseam. Enjoy watching the future mutant version of college football. I'll take a nap. :cool:

Texas isn't going to get an offer from the B1G to join. You're just upset because Baylor goes nowhere and you're trying to stir the pot. NO ONE wants that "dynamic" Waco TV market.

Sorry. Not biting. Troll elsewhere.
Imagine never being a program that’s part of the big boys and have to be rivals with directional schools and other midmajor riff raff that can’t even draw a crowd of 70k 😂😂😂

I was a little bored, and played what if. In my scenario, Group 3 would need to find 3 teams from the Group of Five schools to get to 24. 123.png

HasBeen 10, IMO, will realistically target UNC/Duke from ACC since they consider themselves an academically elite conference.... Get 'some' football, lots of basketball, and some classroom snobbery.
Lol, if they actually believe that academic elitism really means something, they'd drop to the Ivy league.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Wonder if Oregon and/or Stanford will shop themselves to other conferences too.

Good question, if it comes to a total implosion, I could see Oregon and Washington going to one of the two remaining conferences and possibly Cal and Stanford as well. Say the four join the Big 10 that would be interesting. I saw one guy say why not Oregon to the SEC. Who knows what's going to happen.

The remaining PAC12, WAC, and Big12 schools should merge and form the Western Athletic Conference. That would leave the door open for the Big10, SEC, and ACC to form the Eastern Athletic Conference.

Add NIL and boom, defacto minor league football.

Reactions: Volatility

VN Store

Back