USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

Notre Dame is still the most valuable college sports product in the country. Only Texas comes close. If they can get them they won't think twice. Neither would the SEC btw even though there is nothing southern about Notre Dame.
I think ND is losing ground quickly as the landscape changes because it's obviously no longer about the old traditions and "playing for the old team" or anything like "The Gipper."

Can ND offer comparable NIL? Sure. Can ND offer a stable football program or recent winning football tradition? Uh........ Basketball? Uh..........

Wanna get noticed nationally? If it's basketball you're better off at Gonzaga, not ND. If it's football, it's Bama and Ohio State (and hopefully soon to be UT,) not ND.

They played the tradition card too long IMO.

This is 2010 logic, cable subscribers isn't a thing teams arr planning for. The future of media is streaming so it jusy matters that yeams have large fan bases. No, this is all about NIL.

The issue for the SEC is if the Big 10 wants to expand south it would be for recruiting. The SEC doesn't need FSU or Clemson but do they want Ohio State playing in Tallahassee every year or Michigan playing in Clemson where an Atlanta recruit can make a day trip? Georgia Tech almost went to the Big Ten several years ago and the reason was the Big Ten wanted a southern pipeline so a Penn State could have recruits come see them when they play GT in Atlanta.

The SEC may not need these teams but they may not want the Big Ten to have them either. And at some point does the SEC cast off teams? Does MS State or Mizzou really bring anything?

Its not a cable subscriber question. The math simply changed once Texas came on board. When you add a brand like that, along with Oklahoma the threshold for additions changes. The SEC will likely be looking at distributing $100M per year to its member schools with those additions. Any new ones have to bring that on a yearly basis. The only school that for sure would is Notre Dame. I doubt UVA-VT/UNC combo would to be honest. Clemson and FSU aren't bringing that kind of money to the table, cable subscribers or not.

To your last point...unless there is a reason that makes a "haircut" worth it. Keeping the Big Ten out of Florida with FSU might be one of those reasons. Clemson though---ehh--I think they are in a real jam.

Reactions: SpookyAction
cant wait to see how they schedule with the 2-3 hour times zones
Oregon, USC, UCLA and Washington will make up the western pod. That will make scheduling a little easier.

The real question is is how Texas and Oklahoma will fit in... western pod??? 🤔

My thinking is if the ACC and Pac want to be around in 15 years, it's their only shot. If Notre Dame went in with, the TV deal could be close to B1G and SEC.

It's not likely at all to happen. I just know if I was Pac or ACC commish those are the calls I'd be making right now. Because the writing is on the wall.

Logistics wise, there wouldn't be many more trips to the opposite coast as there is now.

Anyway, that ain't going to happen. Most likely B1G and SEC carve up everything and it's NFC vs AFC.
Yep, looking that way, they take what they want and the leftovers create a B league.

Reactions: UTwild82
Its not a cable subscriber question. The math simply changed once Texas came on board. When you add a brand like that, along with Oklahoma the threshold for additions changes. The SEC will likely be looking at distributing $100M per year to its member schools with those additions. Any new ones have to bring that on a yearly basis. The only school that for sure would is Notre Dame. I doubt UVA-VT/UNC combo would to be honest. Clemson and FSU aren't bringing that kind of money to the table, cable subscribers or not.
Who says Texas is coming aboard now. The SEC has no exit fees. Just like USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington, Texas is a better fit academically and culturally in the BIG.

Elon Musk has moved his entire operations to Austin and lefties love them some electric cars. Perfect collaboration for member BIG schools.

Oklahoma will do whatever Texas tells them to do.

Last edited:
Eventually some of these super conferences will get rid of the rubbish teams.

Who says Texas is coming aboard now. The SEC has no exit fees. Just like USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington, Texas is a better fit academically and culturally in the BIG. Oklahoma will do whatever Texas tells them to do.

I have no idea what you are saying. The point was the math equation for what teams the SEC could add from a value perspective changed once Texas and OU were added.

Reactions: 508mikey
I have no idea what you are saying. The point was the math equation for what teams the SEC could add from a value perspective changed once Texas and OU were added.
What happens if Texas and OU aren't added. How would that affect the value?

Oregon, USC, UCLA and Washington will make up the western pod. That will make scheduling a little easier.

The real question is is how Texas and Oklahoma will fit in... western pod??? 🤔
What makes you think Texas and OK go BIG?

Reactions: LouderVol
If you think OU and Texas are not joining the SEC you should reserve a spot on the Alex Jones show.

This is as much a FOX versus ESPN war as anything. ESPN is not losing Texas and Oklahoma to FOX. Period.
Texas is going wherever the money is...ask all current and former BIG XII schools how that works. Never EVER put anything past the Whorns.

Texas is going wherever the money is...ask all current and former BIG XII schools how that works. Never EVER put anything past the Whorns.
And the money is with the SEC right now. BIG is just trying to keep pace and stay relevant. Burning their "allies" was a bad look. SEC will get pick of the ACC and look west for a little value.

Texas loves academic snobbery, leftist thinking ideas and money. All three are in supply in the BIG.
Texas isn't going to get an offer from the B1G to join. You're just upset because Baylor goes nowhere and you're trying to stir the pot. NO ONE wants that "dynamic" Waco TV market.

Sorry. Not biting. Troll elsewhere.

Eventually some of these super conferences will get rid of the rubbish teams.
I think this is the million dollar question. What do the Mississippi schools and Mizzou add to the SEC? Small markets with small alumni/fan bases. Might make the same argument about SCar, they weren't in the SEC until the end of the 20th century, have 1 SECCG appearance. Then look at schools in other conferences. Northwestern? Rutgers? Maryland? Do those schools add anything to the Big 10? And then look at schools potentially on the outside. Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, these are all schools with far more clout than Mississippi State. Say what you will about Miami and their attendance, there are Miami fans all over this country, it's insane.

I truly think this could be the beginning of the end of conferences as we know it. NIL is going to show which schools are contenders vs pretenders, and there are probably less than 20 schools who can legit compete for a National Championship now that players are getting paid. Shoring up the Big 10 and SEC are the start, and the expanded CFP playoff will be the finale.

Reactions: MAD and WVU05UT09
Texas loves academic snobbery, leftist thinking ideas and money. All three are in supply in the BIG.

Do you think Texas just defaulted to the SEC? Texas made the first move and it was to the SEC. If they had wanted to be in the Big Ten they could have asked and the Big Ten would have accepted. There is a reason they chose the SEC. Ask yourself which conference you think is going to be more "reserved/restrictive" with the NIL? That is not where Texas wants to be.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Chicago, NYC, DC and SoCal? I can't think of a group of "places" I would rather not visit. Get shot on the way to the ballgame.

Bold statement for someone that probably never been to a game at the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Visiting does not generate conference revenue but rather rights fees based on media revenue, which Is what this is all about. It's a numbers game based population, eyeballs and clicks. Combined population of SoCal (LA, OC, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino) is over 20 million. LA TV market share is 2nd largest behind the NYC CMSA. This addition to the BIG will offset Texas/Ok's entry into SEC. Visiting, visiting would been an afterthought to their calculations.

Do you think Texas just defaulted to the SEC? Texas made the first move and it was to the SEC. If they had wanted to be in the Big Ten they could have asked and the Big Ten would have accepted. There is a reason they chose the SEC. Ask yourself which conference you think is going to be more "reserved/restrictive" with the NIL? That is not where Texas wants to be.
Ewers took a pay cut to transfer to Texas. 🤔

Source: Incoming OSU QB lands $1.4M NIL deal

VN Store

Back