Urban Meyer retiring

I think it is because they thought VolTwitter was disingenuous and was overstating Schiano's connection to the Penn St scandal in an attempt to thwart his hire.

And I think they were pretty much right. It was a bad hire and definitely unpopular, and IMO the Penn St. thing was mostly a convenient excuse to get behind.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Surprised he made it thru the season. Imo, deal made w/ investigation steered away from trouble, in return he resigns at season end. Win-win.
Way too many unanswered questions during the investigation.

Surprised he made it thru the season. Imo, deal made w/ investigation steered away from trouble, in return he resigns at season end. Win-win.
Way too many unanswered questions during the investigation.
Please please please...One of y'all that's good with the GIFs or movies or storyboards something that captures this essence. Needs to make Harbaugh sitting in his office crying when the secretary brings him the newpaper headline Urban to retire and flash to that scene from DUmb and dumber "so you're saying there's a chance" to finally beat OSU.
I know its sad typed out but I can just imagine that Jim was dancing around his office when the headline ticker came across lol.

I doubt he'll be back. He has plenty of money from these coaching gigs. Who needs the stress of recruiting then dealing with fallout on these campus sagas? Can certainly see him doing an ESPN analyst type commentary here and there. But not for awhile. I imagine his retirement is real.

Dtl0GKXW4AE5sjV.jpg:large
I wonder if these two are exchanging Christmas cards this year.

I doubt he'll be back. He has plenty of money from these coaching gigs. Who needs the stress of recruiting then dealing with fallout on these campus sagas? Can certainly see him doing an ESPN analyst type commentary here and there. But not for awhile. I imagine his retirement is real.
He was really good in the studio during his last break. There's sure to be that option again.

Reactions: Remy
Hell ya

And I do believe urban is a burn fast and bright type but burns out quick

I also believe that he thought he wouldn’t get the push back from the Admins and that may have sped the decision up.

I may not like the man but I hope he gets his health right.

An 85% winning percentage in this era of college football is insane.

BCS bowl wins at 3 schools.

His worst season at 4 different schools was 8-5.

I can make an argument for Rockne and of course Bear, but the point is that it’s that level of greatness.
He's one of the greatest coaches of all time, but not second best. He's behind Bryant, Saban, and Osborne when you're talking just "modern era" coaches. It is hard to compare a modern era coach to someone before about 1970, but he's also behind guys like Rockne, Woody Hayes, and you can argue others like JoePa, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bobby Bowden.

Urban does have more titles than JoePa and Bowden but nowhere near the longevity.

He's one of the greatest coaches of all time, but not second best. He's behind Bryant, Saban, and Osborne when you're talking just "modern era" coaches. It is hard to compare a modern era coach to someone before about 1970, but he's also behind guys like Rockne, Woody Hayes, and you can argue others like JoePa, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bobby Bowden.

Urban does have more titles than JoePa and Bowden but nowhere near the longevity.

Are we talking about Meyer just showing up or actually focused and coaching?

If it’s the former then he’s behind all those guys but if not he’s miles ahead of most of them.

Are we talking about Meyer just showing up or actually focused and coaching?

If it’s the former then he’s behind all those guys but if not he’s miles ahead of most of them.
Well, the Urban of reality sometimes just showed up and sometimes was locked in. Judging a hypothetical Urban who always showed up is the same as judging a hypothetical Saban who sometimes showed up - kind of pointless. Urban is one of the greatest coaches of all time, to be sure. A surefire HOFer. Especially when viewed in light of the modern era making it harder to be competitive. I think you could put him towards the back end of top 10 all time, but no higher than that.

I do think that a relative lock of longevity hurts him when comparing him to these other legends. He spent "only" 13 years at top jobs, and his tenures at each big school he coached at were relatively brief (6 at Florida, 7 at Ohio St). Contrast this with Saban who has spent 17 and counting (12 at Alabama), Bryant who spent 25, Hayes who spent 28, Wilkinson who spent 17, Bowden who spent 33, Paterno who spent 45, etc. Even someone like Barry Switzer, who isn't really considered a long tenured guy among the legendary coaches, was at Oklahoma for 16 years.

And did mailing it in truly affect his coaching anyway outside of 2010? For a year where he supposedly mailed it in, 12-1 with a Big Ten title and Rose Bowl berth is pretty good. Losses like that loss to Purdue have happened to Urban before, when he's supposedly been locked in.

Remember when everyone thought UM OSU rematch would be way better then the UF/OSU game the gators barely squeaked by Scar how can they handle Troy Smith and that loaded OSU squad

Urban campaigned and luckily the best team made it in and the best team harassed ol Troy all night and dominated OSU

Beginning of the sec reign

He never forgave the brass at Ohio State for having a conscience. He is a very insecure guy and doesn't like criticism, warranted or otherwise. At 54, I can see him taking a sabbatical once again and then testing the waters. If a prominent program with an open checkbook comes calling, he's coaching again.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Remember when everyone thought UM OSU rematch would be way better then the UF/OSU game the gators barely squeaked by Scar how can they handle Troy Smith and that loaded OSU squad

Urban campaigned and luckily the best team made it in and the best team harassed ol Troy all night and dominated OSU

Beginning of the sec reign

I wouldn’t quantify three years as a reign

VN Store

Back