Urban Meyer retiring

Can't stand the guy, but I think the health concerns are legit, and...

17 Seasons
186-32 Record
12 Ten-Win Seasons
10 Top-Ten Finishes
7 Conference Championships
3 National Championships
10-3 Bowl Record
Best W/L Percentage of the Modern Football Era (D-1)

Dude has had an incredible run.

Saban’s greatness overshadows everything, but I could argue Urban is the 2nd greatest college coach of all time.

You could certainly make a counter argument with a bunch of names, but I can make a damn fine argument

Saban’s greatness overshadows everything, but I could argue Urban is the 2nd greatest college coach of all time.

You could certainly make a counter argument with a bunch of names, but I can make a damn fine argument
You can make a "damn fine" argument that he's 2nd best all-time? He's a great coach, one of the best ever, but he isn't second best all-time.

Reactions: give_him 6
You can make a "damn fine" argument that he's 2nd best all-time? He's a great coach, one of the best ever, but he isn't second best all-time.

An 85% winning percentage in this era of college football is insane.

BCS bowl wins at 3 schools.

His worst season at 4 different schools was 8-5.

I can make an argument for Rockne and of course Bear, but the point is that it’s that level of greatness.

Dtl0GKXW4AE5sjV.jpg:large

Hey national media. Tennessee's awesome future head coach is sitting right there on staff, ready to roll. Surely, surely, surely y'all aren't going to miss out on reporting how unjust it is for him not to get the job.

Herbstreet?
Wolken?
Etc?

We await your analysis with bated breath.

Well urban Meyer gonna hang it up

The Urban Cryer, finally calling it quits.........good! if there is one team I completely despise is OSU........the most arrogant ego maniacs I have ever met in my life. I have worked with and around OSU grads.........and they are the poster children for "you can't fix stupid" dumber than rocks is an insult to rocks. Seeing him rub that head when he loses makes my day, and not making it to the CFP is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: igotworms
Hey national media. Tennessee's awesome future head coach is sitting right there on staff, ready to roll. Surely, surely, surely y'all aren't going to miss out on reporting how unjust it is for him not to get the job.

Herbstreet?
Wolken?
Etc?

We await your analysis with bated breath.
The lengths that the media went to to defend Schiano in light of the current societal climate was really curious. I'm not one to invoke "the media hates us" type of arguments, but they really did seem to want to s**t on Tennessee's fans when Schiano was rejected. You'd think that if they wanted to take sides, they'd actually come down on the side of VolTwitter, not in opposition, given that the stated reason for VolTwitter's opposition was Schiano's connection to Penn St. I have serious doubts that was the actual reason, but that's another topic...

I have serious doubts that was the actual reason, but that's another topic...

I think your doubts are shared by many, and that's what provoked scorn from some of the talking heads. I think if fans had gotten up in arms because Schiano simply isn't a good coach, then I think the response would have been somewhat muted.

I think your doubts are shared by many, and that's what provoked scorn from some of the talking heads. I think if fans had gotten up in arms because Schiano simply isn't a good coach, then I think the response would have been somewhat muted.
That's what I wish had happened. Raise hell on social media if you don't like something, but be honest about your reasons for doing so. That's why I don't like Twitter mobs, even if I agree with them (which is rare). They very frequently are disingenuous about precisely why they are upset and/or the outrage is very selective. I was in an odd spot during that whole ordeal because I ultimately agreed with the mob, which felt weird, and I never bought their supposed reason for being upset. If Gruden, or some big name coach who was high on people's lists had that identical baggage, it would be excused and/or overlooked.

The reason VolTwitter inserted Penn St into the Schiano discussion is because they suspected "We're mad as hell because Schiano isn't a good coach!" or "We want a big name coach!" wouldn't be convincing enough. If you insert a scandal about child rape into the discussion, all of a sudden your argument has a lot more gravitas and seriousness. Even if Schiano was connected to that in an extremely tangential, flimsy way via secondhand hearsay testimony.

Last edited:
The lengths that the media went to to defend Schiano in light of the current societal climate was really curious. I'm not one to invoke "the media hates us" type of arguments, but they really did seem to want to s**t on Tennessee's fans when Schiano was rejected. You'd think that if they wanted to take sides, they'd actually come down on the side of VolTwitter, not in opposition, given that the stated reason for VolTwitter's opposition was Schiano's connection to Penn St. I have serious doubts that was the actual reason, but that's another topic...

No the reason people came down on VolTwitter is because they knew that Vols fans didn’t care about the alleged Penn State issue and VolTwitter used it because they thought Schiano was a ****** coach

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
No the reason people came down on VolTwitter is because they knew that Vols fans didn’t care about the alleged Penn State issue and VolTwitter used it because they thought Schiano was a ****** coach
I think it is because they thought VolTwitter was disingenuous and was overstating Schiano's connection to the Penn St scandal in an attempt to thwart his hire.

I think it is because they thought VolTwitter was disingenuous and was overstating Schiano's connection to the Penn St scandal in an attempt to thwart his hire.

Exactly. And it’s a valid point. I’ll never forget Jon Reed’s silly protest on campus and the first thing he said was “This isn’t about Greg Schiano as a coach, although let me state he is a ****** coach” and basically just contradicted what he was trying to say

There were tons of people (the overwhelming majority honestly) rallying against the loose PSU connection instead of just being honest and saying Schiano was a sh***y coach. VolTwitter was just grand central station for everyone

VN Store

Back