UK fans ripping on Neyland

I love Neyland, been there on and off since '65. Bigger isn't always better though. I loved it when you could see the game from the hill. The things I'd like to see are just some good paint on parts that need it. I've been sitting in the upper deck for a couple of years now. You would think the rust would get a good sanding and painting in the off season. Just general maintenance. Understand you can't do the whole stadium each off season, but there are places that scream for maintenance, and it's a even a little embarrassing to see. Hence the bulletin board material on other schools like Kentucky.

Attachments

• rustneversleeps.jpg
    rustneversleeps.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 33
They are right, seating is cramped and sucks, bathrooms are outdated and nasty. Neyland needs a major overhaul but it will never happen. I'd rather see less seating, and have all chair back seats.

Reactions: leon and maotai
And with all that, we still fill up the stadium. I wonder about Kentucky Stadium, anyone been? It usually looks deserted.

The last time I was at their stadium was in 2013. The entrances, concourses, concessions and bathrooms were all pretty nice. We had a good experience overall. Fans weren’t bad. We didn’t know where to park so I pulled up to a garage that required a parking pass just to ask for suggestions. The guy opened his Kentucky jacket to reveal a Tennessee shirt and let us park on the ramp. His coworkers gave him grief but it was pretty cool.

And with all that, we still fill up the stadium. I wonder about Kentucky Stadium, anyone been? It usually looks deserted.

I’ve been to games in Lexington. That place is bland as can be. No character. Not to mention the tailgating experience there completely blows. The areas around the stadium are just open vast parking lots. It truly feels like a large high school venue.

Can't argue with much of what I read. Most college stadiums leave a lot to be desired. Ours needs a massive renovation.

I love the rivalry. I love making a trip to Neyland a long weekend in Gatlinburg and mingling with Vol fans before the game. Calhoun's is always a treat. However, the stadium experience is very uncomfortable. I'm a tall guy with broad shoulders and have to sit with my shoulders turned sideways and my legs tucked up under my seat. I'm not sure what could be done to make it better short of replacing all the seats and losing about 10K in capacity.

How many seats would it remove to go to only chair backs?

I’m have no concern for the bathrooms, concession stands and walk ways. I’ve always been able to get in and out, get a pizza or a hot dog and take a leak(When taking the kids it would have been nice to have more family restrooms or more changing tables.).

I believe DeerPark said one time it would reduce capacity to about 80,000. I could be wrong but that stands out for some reason.

I love the rivalry. I love making a trip to Neyland a long weekend in Gatlinburg and mingling with Vol fans before the game. Calhoun's is always a treat. However, the stadium experience is very uncomfortable. I'm a tall guy with broad shoulders and have to sit with my shoulders turned sideways and my legs tucked up under my seat. I'm not sure what could be done to make it better short of replacing all the seats and losing about 10K in capacity.
Honestly, that's what needs to happen.

don't understand why they talk.....pretty sure only Vandy has a smaller stadium and even on a rainy day when we are terrible we still get more than 67,606. Go big orange

Love the Donkey Kong reference by the 1 poster.

" Every time I have ever attended and walked their concourse, I felt like I was in the Donkey Kong game and a gorilla was going to start throwing barrels at me. " that was great :D

They literally sold they're soul and named their stadium after a grocery store. I don't go to Neyland for the concessions or to be comfortable. I go to support my team, my one and only team. The only thing I'd change is to remove those ridiculous suites and put the old bleachers back

Not saying you are wrong, but im not liking that idea. I like that we are one of the biggest and loudest
And there's huge value in that. I guess I'm just stating the obvious. It's a no frills kind of place . Honestly, the seating is way down the list of things that need to be improved.

Not saying you are wrong, but im not liking that idea. I like that we are one of the biggest and loudest

We can still be loud. I'm sure you know it, but one of the "expansions" that we did to get us over 100,000 was re-marking the seats to make each "seat" narrower. The extra capacity was needed to meet demand.

But now -- thanks to a variety of reasons, including giant HDTVs, longer games and lousy kickoff times determined at almost the last minute by TV -- demand is not what it used to be, not only at our place but at many places.

I'm kinda old school when it comes to attending sports events: I don't need or expect the Taj Mahal. But chairbacks and a little legroom would help the "experience," especially when games now routinely run 3 to 3.5 hours. Just my opinion, of course.

VN Store

Back