Tyler Bray on taking money and fighting with Dooley

This interview shows further how horrible Dooley was. Not sure I’ve ever seen a worst leader of men as a HC in the SEC. His team literally quit so they didn’t have to deal with another him another month. I wish Dave Hart had actually talked to the players. He would have fired him.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
He should have mentioned the 2011 KENTUCKY game, where they played a third string QB that had not played QB since HS, was a WR on the roster, and still beat us 10-16. Rumor had it that Bray and others threw the game because they didn't want to go to a second tier bowl game.

It was the 2011 UK game that really cost Dooley his job. It was his second season, and we were so far behind on Fulmer's buyout that we literally could not afford to buy Dooley out after just two seasons. His entire staff, with the exception of the OC, left, because they saw the handwriting on the wall, and we got a new staff, which unfortunately included Sal Sunseri as DC.

I find the stories that Bray threw the UK game in 2011 to be very convincing, actually.
I was at that game. No one “threw” anything

He should have mentioned the 2011 KENTUCKY game, where they played a third string QB that had not played QB since HS, was a WR on the roster, and still beat us 10-16. Rumor had it that Bray and others threw the game because they didn't want to go to a second tier bowl game.

It was the 2011 UK game that really cost Dooley his job. It was his second season, and we were so far behind on Fulmer's buyout that we literally could not afford to buy Dooley out after just two seasons. His entire staff, with the exception of the OC, left, because they saw the handwriting on the wall, and we got a new staff, which unfortunately included Sal Sunseri as DC.

I find the stories that Bray threw the UK game in 2011 to be very convincing, actually.

I’m not advocating what happened was right…you should never quit or throw a game no matter what. But it wasn’t just Bray. The whole team did.

Tyl
Lemme get this straight, we paid Tyler Bray? Money? To play football for Tennessee? Refresh my memory, did he ever actually exhibit a pulse while playing football and get us a winning record at UT?

We paid him? To play? At an SEC level? Someone agreed to pay him thinking he'd play SEC level football?

It was Dooley? Millionaire, via TN.

Paging Mike Hamilton....... Mike Hamilton, TN made you millionaire missionary to Africa, didn't they? Why yes, yes they did......

QB, paid for losing seasons. Check!
Coach, $5M buyout,. Check!
AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

One always reads in a prospectus: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

God, I hope not.

Tyler Bray was one of the best PS quarterbacks in UT history. If you watched the 12' season, our offense was spectacular and put up tons of points primarily due to the passing game. Unfortunately, we also had one of the worst defenses in school history. Bray never played defense.

Reactions: BanditVol
If the players get to the point of not wanting to extend the season with a bowl game it is past time for the coach to be kicked to the curb. The first sign we fanatics see is the assistant coaches bailing like rats from a sinking ship to lateral or lessor jobs. That is when you fire the HC. Losing the team is caused by waiting too long and the effects last several years.

Yep. The fact that Dooley even returned the next year showed the ignorance of the admin at the time and is one of the biggest reasons we are in the mess that we are in now.

I’m not advocating what happened was right…you should never quit or throw a game no matter what. But it wasn’t just Bray. The whole team did.
It wasn't the whole team. An OL hinted at what happened after the game. But it was definitely Bray and a couple of WRs were specifically called out. I would say it was a relative handfull of players and likely didn't include the defense, since the defense played well enough to win. Wasn't meaning to put it all on Bray, but he was said to be one of the leaders encouraging it, and certainly as the leader of the offense could have put a stop to it.

I was at that game. No one “threw” anything
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Is that a pun? Because Bray's stats were atrocious.

If not a pun, then don't shoot the messenger. My source is a senior OL quoted in the KNS the day after. I could add that the interwebz were flooded with stories on message boards also, but I am going with the credible source.

An OL on the team who played in the game, vs a guy in the stands....yeah.

Yep. The fact that Dooley even returned the next year showed the ignorance of the admin at the time and is one of the biggest reasons we are in the mess that we are in now.

I think almost everyone thought Dooley should have been fired. The story at the time was that the athletic department just couldn't afford to do it. I see no reason to not believe that.

Reactions: rocketskates
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Is that a pun? Because Bray's stats were atrocious.

If not a pun, then don't shoot the messenger. My source is a senior OL quoted in the KNS the day after. I could add that the interwebz were flooded with stories on message boards also, but I am going with the credible source.

An OL on the team who played in the game, vs a guy in the stands....yeah.
I’m saying no one intentionally threw that game. Tennessee still had a shot to win three times in the 4th. One bad fumble when we would’ve scored the GW TD, one bad penalty and one ref missing a fumble by UK’s QB which gave them the points they needed to win. The players didn’t purposefully lose that game regardless of their thoughts about Dooley

That year we played Troy. The Vols had 718 yards offense and Troy 721 yards. Make your own conclusions why 2012 was not a winning season

Exactly. For those casting our record in 2012 on Bray didn't see this guy calling our 3-4 defense.
#abysmal #terrible #awful #horrendous #atrocious
#badlikereallybad #anyothernegativeadjectiveyiucanthinkof
Screenshot_20210909-154643_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’m saying no one intentionally threw that game. Tennessee still had a shot to win three times in the 4th. One bad fumble when we would’ve scored the GW TD, one bad penalty and one ref missing a fumble by UK’s QB which gave them the points they needed to win. The players didn’t purposefully lose that game regardless of their thoughts about Dooley

That isn't what was widely reported after the game. A senior OL hinted at it in the KNS the day after the game, and it was all over the interwebz that Bray and that cocky WR we had (Rogers, I think?) were saying "who wants to go to a ****** bowl game" all week leading up to the UK game. I watched on TV and recall a pass seeming to bounce right off Roger's hands and Bray was uncharacteristically inaccurate.

At the very least, they weren't very motivated.

I didn't say I have absolute knowledge that they"threw the game" but I'm not the source of that story either.

What I am saying is that I think it's very possible.

You being at the game and noting that it was "close" doesn't really mean ****, sorry.

Reactions: Samthebam
“Compliance at Tennessee called me when I was with the Chiefs,” said Bray. “They were like ‘hey we want to talk to you about the money you took in college’, and I just kind of laughed and said go talk to my agent.”

Great read if you have a minute.

Tyler Bray talks about taking money while at Tennessee and the infamous Vanderbilt loss in 2012
Extremely talented dude who was a massive piece of excrement. The bottle throwing episode sums up Bray. The fact that he’s been able to get a check for this many years in the NFL Shows how quickly the level drops from elite to meh at the QB position.

Lemme get this straight, we paid Tyler Bray? Money? To play football for Tennessee? Refresh my memory, did he ever actually exhibit a pulse while playing football and get us a winning record at UT?

We paid him? To play? At an SEC level? Someone agreed to pay him thinking he'd play SEC level football?

Paging Mike Hamilton....... Mike Hamilton, TN made you millionaire missionary to Africa, didn't they? Why yes, yes they did......

AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

One always reads in a prospectus: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

God, I hope not.

It's a team game. Tyler Bray was a good QB. Played for an awful coach though.

Umm, Bray had just come back from a broken thumb. I also remember him scrambling for a first down in that game. He seemed mad, so I don't think he threw it.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

God, I hope not.
Yeah he was actually really ****ing good and our offense was exciting to watch. It was the defense that couldn't get us a win even though we were scoring 35 points a game.

AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

God, I hope not.

That is correct. That is what you get when you’re a penny pincher.

Little dramatic there buddy Bray was actually a decent QB for us, threw for 34 TDs his Jr year. Should've come back for his Sr year. There are way worse players we could've paid.. and probably did.

We all have mixed feelings about that year.

1) The Sal Sunseri Zombie Defense Apocalypse was gut-wrenching to watch but it got Dooley out the door a little faster. And that had to happen.

2) Still, if Justin Wilcox had been incentivized to stay at DC another year, that team could have outscored about every team on the schedule except Bama.

3) Now imagine that same team if they had let Cutcliffe bring his staff from Duke. We'd have won the SEC East that year IMHO.

Cutcliffe couldn't bring full staff to UT; Decides to stay at Duke

I was told Alabama had their own Chevrolet dealership to keep top athletes in Vettes and Camaros. Don’t doubt it. College sports have been the de facto sports minor league for years.
Don't believe it. Most of those guys wouldn't fit in a Corvette. A Camaro is uncomfortable on me (175 lbs). An Escalade on the other hand....

VN Store

Back