Tyler Bray on taking money and fighting with Dooley

Lemme get this straight, we paid Tyler Bray? Money? To play football for Tennessee? Refresh my memory, did he ever actually exhibit a pulse while playing football and get us a winning record at UT?

We paid him? To play? At an SEC level? Someone agreed to pay him thinking he'd play SEC level football?

It was Dooley? Millionaire, via TN.

Paging Mike Hamilton....... Mike Hamilton, TN made you millionaire missionary to Africa, didn't they? Why yes, yes they did......

QB, paid for losing seasons. Check!
Coach, $5M buyout,. Check!
AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

One always reads in a prospectus: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

God, I hope not.
Bray was one of the last really good QBs to come to UT. If we had a defense worth anything at all we would have been dangerous. Kid could sling it. Isn't he 4th all time in passing yards?

Just curious how Bray's talent served him in the NFL?

Also, will you be okay if our QB or RBs throw up great numbers and we're still 5-7?
About the same as Tee Martin, Erik Ainge, or Casey Clausen.

And to answer your question I'm never ok with losing but I'm not going to be an idiot about it and instantly blame the QB for everything and mock them every chance I get.

Little dramatic there buddy Bray was actually a decent QB for us, threw for 34 TDs his Jr year. Should've come back for his Sr year. There are way worse players we could've paid.. and probably did.
Agree. And we would have wom more games that year had we had a decent defense.

I really wish the NFL would form their OWN Farm League; that way we could get back to College Students Playing College Ball. What we have now is a Joke. No Loyalty, No Class, No attachment to the SCHOOL except the Jersey they wear. Hypocrisy at it's finest . The good NEW American way, BUYING SUCCESS.
The NFL already has their own Farm system funded by TAXPAYERS. Sweeeetttt huh..??
Now that player payments are an open, legal practice with no NCAA problems, I've been wondering if Universities should still be handing out free tickets to a college education, room, board, etc, etc all at TAXPAYER expense ..?? Granted...not every kid is getting 6 figure payments...but this stuff is just getting started. We are already seeing not just stars...but ENTIRE teams handed a regular paycheck so I gotta ask...do the taxpayers need to remain on the hook..??
Maybe we need to give some thought to CHARGING the players to use Taxpayer funded facilities to further their lucrative football careers..??

Tnutater,With your comment about college football and Tennessee in particular,I believe that the best reply to you and your moniker is "Get Stuffed!"

What “advisor”?

I assume his academic advisor. Whenever I'd go see my advisor in the history department to discuss my course selection for the following term, he'd always give me a little money to make college life a bit easier for my classmates and me. It was never a large sum, but it could mean a dinner at the Regas instead of Sophie's, a lunch at Calhoun's instead of Presidential Court. It might let me buy a bus ticket for a friend so he could attend his little brother's Eagle Scout ceremony, or it might let me bail a friend out of jail for calling in a bomb threat from his dorm room in order to get out of an exam. I assume this is what Bray was talking about, and I assume it's fairly usual for any student to receive these small, occasional gifts.

We all have mixed feelings about that year.

1) The Sal Sunseri Zombie Defense Apocalypse was gut-wrenching to watch but it got Dooley out the door a little faster. And that had to happen.

2) Still, if Justin Wilcox had been incentivized to stay at DC another year, that team could have outscored about every team on the schedule except Bama.

3) Now imagine that same team if they had let Cutcliffe bring his staff from Duke. We'd have won the SEC East that year IMHO.

Cutcliffe couldn't bring full staff to UT; Decides to stay at Duke

I’m not the biggest Cut fan in terms of thinking he is some sort of genius, but looking back it would have been best case scenario. He would have stabilized the program and made it a much more attractive job even with the fact he never would have won the East

Reactions: perico
Why is he talking about this right now? What good does it do talking about getting paid 10 years ago especially while previous staff are being investigated?

True, but had he had a guy like Cut who wouldn’t put up with his crap and kept his ass in check he very well could’ve had an even more successful pro career.
Maybe, but we wouldn't have cared had they won a championship lol
I remember having a problem with Clausens attitude but they were more successful.

The NFL already has their own Farm system funded by TAXPAYERS. Sweeeetttt huh..??
Now that player payments are an open, legal practice with no NCAA problems, I've been wondering if Universities should still be handing out free tickets to a college education, room, board, etc, etc all at TAXPAYER expense ..?? Granted...not every kid is getting 6 figure payments...but this stuff is just getting started. We are already seeing not just stars...but ENTIRE teams handed a regular paycheck so I gotta ask...do the taxpayers need to remain on the hook..??
Maybe we need to give some thought to CHARGING the players to use Taxpayer funded facilities to further their lucrative football careers..??

Excellent Points. And you Know that for those who don't get the endorsement $, their Stipends will Have to be Increased. Otherwise, "No Pay, No play" will result. This thing won't work very well. IMO.

Reactions: guido4198
If only he would’ve had Coach Cut, would’ve fixed his dumbass attitude real quick . Most physically gifted thrower of the football I’ve see. in my lifetime at the University of Tennessee.

If only Kiffin hadn't been such a Twit, and Hammy had be anywhere close to COMPETENT.

Umm, Bray had just come back from a broken thumb. I also remember him scrambling for a first down in that game. He seemed mad, so I don't think he threw it.

So maybe it wasn't him, but some of his WRs. It was widely rumored at the time.

I wish I could go back and find the Knoxville NS article in which the senior OL was throwing shade at some of his teamates, but given that was almost 9 years ago, maybe best to just move on.

Note that I didn't say I absolutely believed anyone threw the game, just that Bray and some of his teamates were immature enough that I find it credible.

Only they know for sure, I suppose.

Reactions: 37620VOL
We were 2nd in total offense, 2nd in passing yards in the SEC (36 PPG).. offense was not the problem.

We gave up 471 yards PER GAME on defense that year, last in the SEC.. that's where the energy should be directed lol

Had we somehow retained Wilcox and not had to change schemes and DC in make or break year (that's on Dooley 10000%), we would have won the East that year. Even when Bray got hurt and we had Simms, our defense wasn't that bad. Still can't believe Dooley opted to scrap everything on D in a make or break year.

Reactions: irish1485
Probably 4th best passing qb in school history & had he been half way mature & coached well probably 2nd.

the few times he was in a position to win a game at the end (South Carolina, Georgia), he fumbled, threw an int, failed to produce. He lost to UK because he didn't prepare because "who wants to go to a crappy bowl game anyway." He ran up a lot of big yardage in games where the Vols were hopelessly behiind. He relied only on his arm and didn't spend the time needed to prepare so he never really understood the running game. Immaturity was his downfall and he never succeeded because of all of this.

He was right about Kiffin tho. He tells you that LK and his staff were calling UT recruits and telling them not to go to class and to leave Knoxville and come to USC with them. Yet, many still want Kiffin to be the coach at UT. SMH

VN Store

Back