Tyler Bray on taking money and fighting with Dooley

Bray was unquestionably a talented QB, but he provided no leadership for his teammates. Good college teams typically have a few strong leaders on the team and often they are the QB’s. I wonder if the Dooley years might have gone different if they had of had a few strong leaders on the roster to help combat Dooley’s piss poor leadership? Those teams had some talent to work with. IMHO
Him and Dooley hated each other. Dooley’s solution was to pull him against Vandy causing a huge loss and blame Bray for losses that weren’t his fault

Lemme get this straight, we paid Tyler Bray? Money? To play football for Tennessee? Refresh my memory, did he ever actually exhibit a pulse while playing football and get us a winning record at UT?

We paid him? To play? At an SEC level? Someone agreed to pay him thinking he'd play SEC level football?

It was Dooley? Millionaire, via TN.

Paging Mike Hamilton....... Mike Hamilton, TN made you millionaire missionary to Africa, didn't they? Why yes, yes they did......

QB, paid for losing seasons. Check!
Coach, $5M buyout,. Check!
AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

One always reads in a prospectus: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
God, I hope not.

Sometimes it is.

Little dramatic there buddy Bray was actually a decent QB for us, threw for 34 TDs his Jr year. Should've come back for his Sr year. There are way worse players we could've paid.. and probably did.
So, true, Bray had a hell of an arm, and threw some long ones that were caught and you had to see the replay to see it to believe it, I know he had some issues off the field but he could sling the long ball

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Do not know about using the term,"honest." There are times when it is concerning that players are on the take when you are playing around the point spread. You see reliable players not performing at a reliable level. I suspect the money game is much larger than people think it is sometimes. Especially when you see players who have little loyalty to the team they are playing for. When players get paid someone is expecting results.
It’s easier and safer for the gambling mob to use a ref.

why is it that 17 different people have to post the same thing?

We get it, Bray had some good numbers at UT and defense was the problem.

Reactions: LittleVol
We could have in ‘10 but he did the throatslashing thing vs NC before the he threw the INT in overtime. Had a chance in ‘11 but chose not to go to a “******** bowl game” so he let a WR beat him at Ky to stop a 35 yr winning streak.
We could have in '10 if the Kicker didn't miss an extra point or if Janzen Jackson doesn't launch at the WR getting a personal foul allowing UNC 15 free yards on that last drive .It's not like Bray was the sole reason we lost that game. I'd even argue he may have been the main reason we were there. If I remember correctly, Matt Sims played/started until the SC game when Bray came in half way and sparked the offense then played the rest of the way in '10. In '12, he did more than enough to win at least 8 games with just an average defense, but as we all know, that was not the case.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Probably 4th best passing qb in school history & had he been half way mature & coached well probably 2nd.
Not sure why Bray gets such a bad rap. He was a pretty good QB. He had a couple of silly college mistakes that were amped because he played football. He has made around $5 million playing in the NFL without destroying his body. Nothing wrong with that.

It sounds like Bray never got over the fact that Kiffin left, and that hung over him/he was mad about that the entire time he was at Tennessee.

On one hand I get it, but on the other he was still a scholarship QB at a big football school like Tennessee; it didn't turn out like he thought but he still had an incredible opportunity. Gotta try to move on.

Wee Little Nickey is the godfather of SEC refs.
The sports books just get to wet their beak a little.
It’s not just the SEC though Tater. It’s all over the country college and pro. What many people don’t understand is the refs don’t have to change who’s going to win,just tweek a few points one way or another.

Only UT is stupid enough to try and start an investigation on itself from 8 years ago so they can run to the ncaa and say look what we did. And we wonder why things are the way they are. I will say it again, the biggest problem at UT IS the administration.

Excellent point.

Can't wait to see them self impose their bowl ban this year before they even finish the investigation into Pruitt.

Refresh my memory. Did UT have a winning season with Bray?
You're putting way too much emphasis on the QB position correlating directly to wins and losses. Bray had 7444 yds, 69 TDs, and 28 INTs for his career (3 years). We didn't lose because of him. His junior year, alone, our defense gave up an average of 35.4 ppg and 471.3 ypg. How is that Bray's fault? Kid had some issues with maturity, certainly, but he was a pretty good QB, and arguably the 2nd best QB we've had in the last 14 years since Erik Ainge.

Not sure why Bray gets such a bad rap. He was a pretty good QB. He had a couple of silly college mistakes that were amped because he played football. He has made around $5 million playing in the NFL without destroying his body. Nothing wrong with that.
Because we have some dumb millennial fans who grew up learning to hate on Bray, Ainge, Clausen and hell even Manning at times because they don’t understand football and are part of why social media is the way it is in sports, politics, etc. trolls

We could have in ‘10 but he did the throatslashing thing vs NC before the he threw the INT in overtime. Had a chance in ‘11 but chose not to go to a “******** bowl game” so he let a WR beat him at Ky to stop a 35 yr winning streak.

I don’t agree with the throat slash, but that didn’t cost us the game. A bad officiating call did. The KY game wasn’t just on Bray. Brian Randolph even said during SportsSource a few years ago that most of the team had mailed it in and didn’t want to play in a lesser bowl game.

Only UT is stupid enough to try and start an investigation on itself from 8 years ago so they can run to the ncaa and say look what we did. And we wonder why things are the way they are. I will say it again, the biggest problem at UT IS the administration.
What are you talking about? Tennessee didn’t “start” any new investigation. Compliance called Bray in 2013 to ask about the year before

I don’t agree with the throat slash, but that didn’t cost us the game. A bad officiating call did. The KY game wasn’t just on Bray. Brian Randolph even said during SportsSource a few years ago that most of the team had mailed it in and didn’t want to play in a lesser bowl game.
They lost the UK game because Bray hit an awesome long pass to get within the 10 yd line for winning td and Dooley called a trick play and we fumbled the next play. Also because the refs missed UK’s QB fumble on their “GW” drive

Reactions: rocketskates
They lost the UK game because Bray hit an awesome long pass to get within the 10 yd line for winning td and Dooley called a trick play and we fumbled the next play. Also because the refs missed UK’s QB fumble on their “GW” drive

Well, not to mention that UK had like 217 yards of total offense. Losing to that takes a team, wasn’t all on Bray.

Typer Bray's game against Memphis in the Liberty Bowl was a jaw dropping, passing performance. UT has had some amazing QBs. Bray certainly was that.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with our fanbase. The guy threw for 3700 yds and 30+ TDs in 2012 but it's his fault our defense gave up 500+ YPG in SEC play.
Just curious how Bray's talent served him in the NFL?

Also, will you be okay if our QB or RBs throw up great numbers and we're still 5-7?

Lemme get this straight, we paid Tyler Bray? Money? To play football for Tennessee? Refresh my memory, did he ever actually exhibit a pulse while playing football and get us a winning record at UT?

We paid him? To play? At an SEC level? Someone agreed to pay him thinking he'd play SEC level football?

It was Dooley? Millionaire, via TN.

Paging Mike Hamilton....... Mike Hamilton, TN made you millionaire missionary to Africa, didn't they? Why yes, yes they did......

QB, paid for losing seasons. Check!
Coach, $5M buyout,. Check!
AD, $1.3M buyout. Check!

One always reads in a prospectus: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

God, I hope not.

I don’t disagree with everything here — I mean, I’m certainly no Mike Hamilton fan.

But I’m not sure you could be more wrong about Bray if you were doing it on purpose. Did you watch him play?

Say what you want to about his emotional maturity in those days, I probably wouldn’t argue much there. He was a college kid with a golden arm and a big head. It happens. But he’s one of the best QBs to ever play here. That’s not even an opinion. It’s a 100-percent fact-based assertion.

— All-time —

5th in completions

5th in attempts

4th yards

T-1 Y/A

4th in TDs

69 TDs to 28 INTs

12 300-yard games

10 four-TD games

— Also —

Holds UT record with 10-straight multiple TD passing games

Holds UT record for most passing yards in one game, 530 vs. Troy in 2012. He went 29/47 and had five TDs, too.

Threw 18 TDs in final five games of 2012, despite the whole campus mailing in the last half of the season.

And all the career numbers? Done in three seasons.

I’d do unspeakable things for a QB with half Bray’s throwing ability.

Just curious how Bray's talent served him in the NFL?

Also, will you be okay if our QB or RBs throw up great numbers and we're still 5-7?
He played in the NFL longer than any UT QB not named Manning in the past 25 years. Also quit with your weak logic. In 2012 we had the MOST profilic offense in UT history and the worst defense giving up 35 points or more 8 games. You were wrong about Bray, quit trying to justify it

He played in the NFL longer than any UT QB not named Manning in the past 25 years. Also quit with your weak logic. In 2012 we had the MOST profilic offense in UT history and the worst defense giving up 35 points or more 8 games. You were wrong about Bray, quit trying to justify it
So you're okay with losing if Milton or Evans put up great numbers?

VN Store

Back