Tyler Bray on taking money and fighting with Dooley

Just curious how Bray's talent served him in the NFL?

Also, will you be okay if our QB or RBs throw up great numbers and we're still 5-7?
You’re moving the goalposts. Your original argument was why did Tennessee pay Bray anything while playing for Tennessee, and your contention surrounded his inability to elevate the play of his team. Now you’re arguing his NFL career. How does that affect his value as QB to Tennessee? Fact is, Tennessee has had a handful of effective college QBs, but only one in my lifetime (42 years) that made a noticeable dent in the NFL. So did Heath Shuler suck? Tee Martin? Casey Clausen? Erik Ainge?

You’re moving the goalposts. Your original argument was why did Tennessee pay Bray anything while playing for Tennessee, and your contention surrounded his inability to elevate the play of his team. Now you’re arguing his NFL career. How does that affect his value as QB to Tennessee? Fact is, Tennessee has had a handful of effective college QBs, but only one in my lifetime (42 years) that made a noticeable dent in the NFL. So did Heath Shuler suck? Tee Martin? Casey Clausen? Erik Ainge?
not only did he try to move the goalposts, it still didn’t make any logical point

Reactions: FïreBall
Can't blame him for not wanting to play for Dooley over Kiffin. He may could have won a Heisman under Kiffin. He should have left with him for SC.

Reactions: sona
The lack of understanding (I'll say its intentional for a good laugh) of how talented TB was is astounding. Granted...He needed a really hard nose accountable coach to make him walk a disciplined life to be the best he could be but to blame those losses on TB is simply.... well... SILLY! Not talking about his character etc but his QB abilities were strong...

Reactions: Rickyvol77
So you're okay with losing if Milton or Evans put up great numbers?
You're obviously missing the point. Our record under Bray was not a reflection of his performance. If Milton is doing good at an historical level and loses, we've more than likely got a bad defense or bad coach. Why would we have a hypothetical issue with Milton/Evans?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I've never been a fan of Bray because of his BS immature attitudes.

I also believe in giving credit where it's earned and the fact is that Bray was a very good QB for us and he was surrounded by really good WR's.

The other simple fact is that if our D had been as good as our O was while Bray was here then we would have been in a serious position to WIN a National Championship or 2.

DD was pathetic as a HC and if his life really did depend on him building a good D Team then he would have been a dead man years ago.

I still don't give a rats patoot for Bray but all those losses were totally on HCDD and our totally pathetic D side of the ball.

VFL...GBO!!!

Players have been getting paid for years. It’s probably the worst kept secret in college football sports it’s just no one wants to admit it or be caught doing it
This...I think the most disturbing thing about all of this is that UT admin not only doesn't get this, but is running around turning over every stone trying to dig up dirt on it's own football program.

I don’t agree with the throat slash, but that didn’t cost us the game. A bad officiating call did. The KY game wasn’t just on Bray. Brian Randolph even said during SportsSource a few years ago that most of the team had mailed it in and didn’t want to play in a lesser bowl game.
If the players get to the point of not wanting to extend the season with a bowl game it is past time for the coach to be kicked to the curb. The first sign we fanatics see is the assistant coaches bailing like rats from a sinking ship to lateral or lessor jobs. That is when you fire the HC. Losing the team is caused by waiting too long and the effects last several years.

served him almost five million in cash. Retire early, hardly took a hit, and now can go coach and enjoy life. Got it made. It’s ok to be envious
Tyler Bray had one of the 2 or 3 best jobs in the world.

In the video, he said for most of the week you are basically a fan but with the big caveat of needing to stay mentally ready in case of the small chance you end up in a game. You watch a ton of film, practice with the team, and go to the game (and he was inactive a lot of the time, so there wasn't even a remote chance he'd enter the game). In exchange for that he made about $500k/year on average. Not a bad gig.

Seems like he’s grown up a lot . Not that I’ve done much of that myself. I still hold Dooley culpable for not getting more wins out of that offensive talent and for not recruiting lineman

Reactions: Samthebam
Good work if you can find it.

Best job in the NFL is lifelong QB3. Get paid well, no hits, retire by 30-32 and enjoy life.
One of the best jobs...period.

It's even better than being a fired, bought-out coach, because in order to get that sweet buyout money you did have to put up with a lot of crap for at least a little while. NFL backup QB is all gravy, unless you got inserted into a game and got hurt.

Great post. Last time I checked Vince Young was a great QB at Texas. Didn’t know his NFL career changed that

Players have been getting paid for years. It’s probably the worst kept secret in college football sports it’s just no one wants to admit it or be caught doing it

Dallas Carter High School’s Derric Evans signs with Tennessee from hot tub .... This was in 1988. It was going on well before this classic moment

The problem was not paying Bray.
The problem was not buying SEC level defensive players.

We had pretty decent talent, not great, but decent. The problem was Sal Sunseri. Worst DC in the history of college football. SO bad.

He should have mentioned the 2011 KENTUCKY game, where they played a third string QB that had not played QB since HS, was a WR on the roster, and still beat us 10-6. Rumor had it that Bray and others threw the game because they didn't want to go to a second tier bowl game.

It was the 2011 UK game that really cost Dooley his job. It was his second season, and we were so far behind on Fulmer's buyout that we literally could not afford to buy Dooley out after just two seasons. His entire staff, with the exception of the OC, left, because they saw the handwriting on the wall, and we got a new staff, which unfortunately included Sal Sunseri as DC.

I find the stories that Bray threw the UK game in 2011 to be very convincing, actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samthebam

VN Store

Back