Turning Against Pruitt

Remember, we just did a coaching search and there wasn't a lot of knockdown options. Some will say Leach, but look at Miss St! Who out there is better and really wants to come to Tennessee to be Head Football Coach?

and please dont give me schiano.....
Hugh Freeze would eat the corn out of..... NM but he would crawl here from Lynchburg

Reactions: Doberman
He’s not getting another extension. He has two classes of his own and one coming up that is looking pretty good and why extending was done. To get back we need Jimmy and Joes and that is area this staff has done well. The extension allows others to not negatively recruit against our HC. Only way to possibly make it out of this is to stack 4 outstanding classes and get depth for CJP to perform with or the next coach who will not have a total rebuild. However, will be interesting how one free transfer will kill a program if they do fire a coach who kids came to play for. If they transfer in a flood, then you may never recover. We will be stuck with Pruitt for a minimum of 5 years. Have to hope he gets it.
barring something off the field that would have expedited a firing, i think that was pretty much the assumption when he got the job.

coming in to 2018, 1st year of the ESD, basically made recruiting that first class a nightmare, as we found out.....so you're talking at least 3 years, w/2full cycles to start to see the pruitt players in the program.

here we are.

at least another year to get his classes to upper classmen...and year 5...that's a "pruitt built" program at that point....

2020 was a bad year to be in year 3. lol....such a critical off season developmentally....and switching to the all conf schedule, kinda sucked in that we missed some confidence builder type games, and i think we missed an opportunity to go to Norman and see what we got for a big game on the road....who knows.

anyway...........we need a quarterback. we need some stability on the staff. and we need to find a way to get more guys more reps so we can improve depth and find kids that can help us win...faster.

i see a lot of phil fulmer in jeremy pruitt. some of that is really good. some of it, not as good.....but one thing i think he can do to help himself is not get caught in the "we do what we do" mentality.

for us, as fans, unfortunately, there was no quick fix....no easy button, and for this program to turn a corner as big as it needs to, that is going to be the result of a process......which im fine with.

that doesn't mean i like what i see along the way all the time. i've liked a good bit of what i've seen so far. i've not liked much of what ive seen latley at all....

i'll be really surprised, and very disappointed, maybe even moreso than i am right now, if we see what we've seen so far repeat itself the 2nd half of the season. i think the hill to climb is still pretty steep. and with @Auburn, aTm and UF still on the schedule......the chances it gets worse, before it gets better...still pretty high...

that said, that kind of schedule also offers redemption....even moreso than the redemption they earned the 2nd half of last season.

and it starts in Fayetteville, AR.

Remember, we just did a coaching search and there wasn't a lot of knockdown options. Some will say Leach, but look at Miss St! Who out there is better and really wants to come to Tennessee to be Head Football Coach?

Sticking with Pruitt for too long will be a disaster waiting to happen and he’ll continue to lose this fan base.

Reactions: Tnphil and hog88
No coach that’s good is going to come here. The problem isn’t the fan base, but the University and the BOT/Haslams. The cat was out of the bag during the last search and coaches know what a mess we have. It was just a few years ago that our requirements to enroll regarding math scores were more strict than Vandy’s for student athletes. We have a bunch of incompetent people at the top running the show doing whatever the Haslams tell them to do. And the Haslam boys are morons. They’ve been successful in life because of their dad’s money and his connections.
Yep, blame it on the Haslam’s. That’s been the topic here for years. A family that’s given millions to the university. No one who post here have any knowledge regarding their influence in hiring coaches and AD. We do know who hired Pruitt and is attached by the hip to his success or failure. A guy who ran the program into the ditch, sucked millions from UT, and somehow got appointed AD. We can only hope the football program can be turned around by this group.

Man you pull for the Vols because you love the team not for championships. Sadly, the Vols have cemented themselves as being a middle of the pack SEC East team. There no way to look at this team and say we are a other 2 or 3 recruiting classes away. I don't think it a matter of if but when he gets fired. He'll get another 2-3 seasons easily but honestly I don't see why bother firing him when he's the best you can do. Glory days are gone sadly but I'll still pull for my Alma Mater

All this talk about Pruitt getting fired is a waste of of time. UT like all other major programs is hemorrhaging money and the future is very uncertain. Pruitt has two more years guaranteed. Likely 3 more years no matter what the won/lost record is. The economy is going to punch UT in the face next year as well as most Americans.

MONEY TALKS, my friend! When Bama hired Saban for an UNREAL amount of $ for a college coach, we all scoffed! "What fools!" Welp... If the MONEY is there... UT is just as "attractive" as Bama, UF, UGA, Dallas Cowboys, etc. Some of you just don't get it. Until UT decides to get serious about the money, we will forever be buried in sucktitude!

Reactions: Voltopia
it doesn't matter if we beat Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, or Georgia State. Wins and losses mean very little!

WHAT DOES THE PRODUCT THAT WE PUT ON THE FIELD LOOK LIKE!

COACHING MATTERS!

MONEY TALKS, my friend! When Bama hired Saban for an UNREAL amount of $ for a college coach, we all scoffed! "What fools!" Welp... If the MONEY is there... UT is just as "attractive" as Bama, UF, UGA, Dallas Cowboys, etc. Some of you just don't get it. Until UT decides to get serious about the money, we will forever be buried in sucktitude!

I never scoffed at that move. I respected the hell out of it. They weren't going to take no for an answer. And they were not about to let their program flail around in the post-Stallings muck.

That's really one of the worst things about this lost decade - knowing that your most hated rival, when faced with similar struggles, not only rejected the situation, but bought themselves the most dominant run we'll ever see in college football history.

Reactions: jeff1vol

dave doeren
He would have come. Had NC St ranked last week.

I would take Freeze - he’s been successful everywhere he’s been
Agreed on Freeze...but Miles would have been a homerun stabilizing force when we had the chance. Unfortunately he never got a look. I still think his experience as an winning SEC coach would put us on the right track.

Agreed on Freeze...but Miles would have been a homerun stabilizing force when we had the chance. Unfortunately he never got a look. I still think his experience as an winning SEC coach would put us on the right track.

Maybe, but Miles only has a few years left because of his age. Freeze would be in it for the long haul

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I wonder what % of the fanbase has given up on Pruitt?

100% of the loyalty challenged. Sometimes you have to accept the POSSIBILITY that the talent has improved beyond the demonstrated on field play and that enough of the guys here and on the way simply require more seasoning. Hyatt is just one of last years class that I think have upper SEC POTENTIAL. Got to see if more can produce the rest of this year. I have no way of knowing if our issues are coaching or execution based. It does not change the record but it does matter.

I would like to see another poll where folks who want a change declare how long it will take for a new coach to improve our squad especially considering the new looser transfer rulings and expected losses in our current class. I am sure many of those and their support folks are wondering if they want to sign on here after reading sites like this one. I know every team has the irrational nega element, but hate that we are featuring them so prominently. For sure sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Not a lot of valor among our more prolific posters.

Freeze or Sarkisian would be good IMO and young enough to stay and build this thing for the long haul.

But we'll fiddle around and hire HC Dippy McDoodle from the Earls Trucking Institute Fighting Coondogs in 3 years.

Reactions: tbh
Don't blow it up until you get a good coach. Until then accept 9-3 as a great season. 8-4 as a one step closer to a 9-3 season. 7-5 and 6-6 will be the standard . 5-7 and 4-8 means we totally stink but don't hire another cordinator.
That is all assuming we play a 12 game schedule. Next year of course.
This year we will be fortunate to get to 5-5

How to fix is simple , hire a good coach.
We lost to Georgia State, who loses to Ga State .

Matt Campbell if you can get him to move. Brohm is still a guy who could succeed at UT IMO. Fuentes is a guy who can coach. What Chadwell is doing at Coastal Carolina is pretty impressive.

Honestly, we aren't going to see a coaching search this year. We're at least a year away and a lot can happen in that time. But when the time comes, there are guys out there that offer some hope. I would pay them higher than their market value up front, load the contract with incentives, set a minimum performance bar, and qualify extensions with performance improvement expectations.

This idea that you have to offer coaches big buyouts in case they fail... is just befuddling to me.

Quarterback. Quarterback. Quarterback. That's really all we need.
Not all. No one who's seen my posts doubts that I think that's where you have to start. But when that change is made... other issues will be exposed. This D is vulnerable to passes down the middle. They do not play like they're manned the positions with the right kinds of athletes.

If you have a water leak the first thing to do is turn the water off. But you still have to fix the pipes. IMO, JG's play doesn't allow them to get to other issues that need to be fixed.

Mullen was coming here but Florida opened up

Mullen wasn't coming because Currie was dead set on hiring Schiano. If I remember correctly Currie was in the Bahamas watching basketball when Mullen's season ended. Then by Sunday news broke that the Vols planned to hire Schiano. I don't believe Currie ever talked with Mullen.

VN Store

Back