Turning Against Pruitt

Pruitt isn't and shouldn't be fired this year. With that being said no way in hell should we have gave him a raise or extension. That was a stupid move on our behalf. If in 2022 Pruitt doesnt beat Georgia and Florida fire him and move on.

I agree with the first part but I don't agree with the last sentence.

I am surprised when coaches do not learn from history, and hitch their wagon to below average results at the QB position. That position weighs more heavily on wins and losses than almost any other on the team. Baker Mayfield beat Tennessee in Neyland because he decided to take the game over. Maybe the other QBs would not do any better but to not try something different is head scratching.

I want Pruitt to succed but I understand why people are frustrated. How to you expect the players to play with a sense of urgency when he doesn't coach that way?

Besides which, we’re not firing a coach in this financial climate. This athletic department was already not where it wants to be financially. COVID has schools cutting programs and cutting salaries. We can’t afford to fire/hire the football staff right now. Or next year.

Pruitt is our coach. Our only productive option is to support him. Be part of the solution or be part of the problem.

How is it “productive” to support the coach on this site? Seriously?

How on earth would me or anyone “not supporting the coach” on this site be part of the problem?

Maybe......just maybe, Pruitt isn’t the solution. Hey I don’t know.....but let’s just pretend. “If” he isn’t......and “if” things are bad....and “if” things continue to be bad......wouldn’t THAT be at least “part” of the problem.....and not really ME.....at all.....on here calling out the bad that I see......and placing that criticism on the person who is in charge.

Just a thought.

Freeze or Sarkisian would be good IMO and young enough to stay and build this thing for the long haul.

But we'll fiddle around and hire HC Dippy McDoodle from the Earls Trucking Institute Fighting Coondogs in 3 years.

McDoodle is a potential prospect, but don't overlook Cletus McGillicuddy, the DC from the Happy Valley Barber School and Hair Care Supply Emporium (home of the Hellbenders)...he has tremendous upside as well.

You know you’ve got a good coach when the only defense for not firing him is you might hire someone worse. And that’s a legitimate concern! I haven’t seen anyone in the last 15 years at UT, from the president all the way to the groundskeeper, that could make an affective hire

Pruitt isn't and shouldn't be fired this year. With that being said no way in hell should we have gave him a raise or extension. That was a stupid move on our behalf. If in 2022 Pruitt doesnt beat Georgia and Florida fire him and move on.

He's going to be here until 2022 regardless of what happens this season or the next, but if you think that he's going to fumble around around for 4 years and go 0/12 against Florida/Georgia/Alabama, while racking up embarrassing losses to the likes of GA State, BYU, Vandy, and Kentucky, and then suddenly start winning against more talented, and better-developed teams, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Unfortunately, it's beginning to look like Pruitt's odds of figuring this out are only slightly better than JG's chances of figuring out the QB position..

I. don't believe that for one second about Pruitt not being able to figure it out. He shook things up when the entire nation thought Phil Fulmer was going to coup his way back into the head coaching job.

Pruitt shook things up and ran kids off the team last year after bad start. Right now we are 2-3 and I fully expect Maurer to be starter vs Arkansas after two weeks to get ready for them. I don't expect Bailey because he's not gonna be good, but more because he has had no time to get ready because of no spring camp.

My 14 year old son made a valid point. As we watched UT get blown out again by Bama I looked at him and said look, it’s Bama. Nobody expects us to beat Bama. He politely said Dad, it’s year 3 so how much longer do we go into a games expecting to not to win?

I. don't believe that for one second about Pruitt not being able to figure it out. He shook things up when the entire nation thought Phil Fulmer was going to coup his way back into the head coaching job.

Pruitt shook things up and ran kids off the team last year after bad start. Right now we are 2-3 and I fully expect Maurer to be starter vs Arkansas after two weeks to get ready for them. I don't expect Bailey because he's not gonna be good, but more because he has had no time to get ready because of no spring camp.
I don't think I believe it either, it just appears that way from the what we are seeing on the field. That said, what we see on the field is a SMALL portion of the total picture..

Things are not always what they appear to be...

I say we go for broke and go after Deion Sanders. He's the biggest name in the coaching ranks today that would jump at a chance to come to Tennessee. After all, the NCAA just put Jackson State on probation.

Struggling with myself to decide if this needs to be in blue font or not.

Remember, we just did a coaching search and there wasn't a lot of knockdown options. Some will say Leach, but look at Miss St! Who out there is better and really wants to come to Tennessee to be Head Football Coach?

and please dont give me schiano.....

If Tennessee offered 8-10 mil we could get anyone to coach here.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
THE Buffoonery was giving Pruitt an extension and raise when it was totally unwarranted. WTH was that about? Showing False Confidence? Why not let this year play out; Then do something? How Smart would you feel right about now; Phil?

Fulmer is an idiot. Pruitt got a contract extension b/c of a trick, onside kick worked against IOWA STATE in a low-level bowl game and somehow UT found a way to win. Pathetic.

Why? Pruitt being a terrible head coach himself doesn't change the fact that it's year 3 since he lost his job and he's still an analyst for Alabama.

He's chuckling because of how fickle our fanbase is. The one thing all the mid-tier SEC programs have in common is switching coaches every 3-4 years. Don't get me wrong, Butch needed to go and maybe Pruitt is not the guy either, but programs need stability to build their brand. Tennessee has lost its aura, and until we get it back we will flounder as we have since 2008. Tennessee has lost its brand, and that makes recruiting 5* players extremely difficult, especially when they wonder whether the guy recruiting him will even be there for his junior year.

While I hate to admit this, Kentucky has seemed to realize this. Stoops has been at Kentucky for 8 years now, and he has slowly but steadily built the Kentucky brand to where one could argue they are now the 3rd best team in the East. No one can argue they are not a better football team now than they were just a few years ago. H*ll, we just got boat raced by them. They are getting recruits that just a few years ago wouldn't have given Kentucky a second thought. At their current trajectory, in a few years they could easily compete with FLA and GA for the top spot. I, for one, want that to be the Vols instead of Kentucky, but we have to do it the right way, and that is to get off the coaching carousel. Some might say I'm full of sh*t, but just a few years ago no one would have guessed we would be losing 5 out of every 10 games we play either.

I don't think I believe it either, it just appears that way from the what we are seeing on the field. That said, what we see on the field is a SMALL portion of the total picture..

Things are not always what they appear to be...

That is a big point right there. I have a longer leash (personally) with Pruitt because the guy is a good football coach and he is learning about being a CEO in his first head coaching gig at Tennessee. I don't think the guy just forgot how to coach just because he became a head coach. I do think that there was major hope that JG would take a big step forward since he finally had the same OC for a second season, but it has been proven true that JG is totally inept and is not a SEC QB. Covid prolly forced Pruitt's hand a bit because Bailey basically got no time in camp. I think Maurer is also a concern given the whole suicide thing earlier this year. I hope and expect to see Maurer play vs Arkansas because he sort of has that attitude that our offense needs right now. Also, Pruitt the DC should know that he can't expect teh defense to do anything consistently from week to week if the offense is not giving them anything.

I think the next two weeks + Arkansas game will define our season and how we finish.

He's chuckling because of how fickle our fanbase is. The one thing all the mid-tier SEC programs have in common is switching coaches every 3-4 years.

Let me just stop you right there. The only reason top tier SEC programs aren't firing their coaches after 3 years is because their coaches are WINNING. This is a fake argument. Tell me what reason Bama, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Florida or TAMU would have to fire their head coached?

Also, Florida fired 3 head coaches after 3 years (Zook, McElwain, Muschamp) and Bama did the same thing before Saban.

So please, know what the heck you are talking about first! EVERYBODY does this, not just mid-tier teams.

He's chuckling because of how fickle our fanbase is. The one thing all the mid-tier SEC programs have in common is switching coaches every 3-4 years. Don't get me wrong, Butch needed to go and maybe Pruitt is not the guy either, but programs need stability to build their brand. Tennessee has lost its aura, and until we get it back we will flounder as we have since 2008. Tennessee has lost its brand, and that makes recruiting 5* players extremely difficult, especially when they wonder whether the guy recruiting him will even be there for his junior year.

While I hate to admit this, Kentucky has seemed to realize this. Stoops has been at Kentucky for 8 years now, and he has slowly but steadily built the Kentucky brand to where one could argue they are now the 3rd best team in the East. No one can argue they are not a better football team now than they were just a few years ago. H*ll, we just got boat raced by them. They are getting recruits that just a few years ago wouldn't have given Kentucky a second thought. At their current trajectory, in a few years they could easily compete with FLA and GA for the top spot. I, for one, want that to be the Vols instead of Kentucky, but we have to do it the right way, and that is to get off the coaching carousel. Some might say I'm full of sh*t, but just a few years ago no one would have guessed we would be losing 5 out of every 10 games we play either.
Stoops' trajectory is about the same as what Rich Brooks had. And he just got thumped by a team that we crushed. So I wouldn't call his program a paragon of stability. He is better than some that KY has had but he's never winning the SEC at KY.

Reactions: WVU05UT09

VN Store

Back