Turning Against Pruitt

Remember, we just did a coaching search and there wasn't a lot of knockdown options. Some will say Leach, but look at Miss St! Who out there is better and really wants to come to Tennessee to be Head Football Coach?

and please dont give me schiano.....

The Legions of the Miserable are always at their best after a loss. Especially, when it’s a blow loss to Alabama.

I wonder what % of the fanbase has given up on Pruitt?

I haven’t given up on Pruitt but I have reconciled myself with expecting little from Tennessee. They’re (nominally) the same team every week. Always a year away. Always trying to learn what it takes to win. Always missing something. Tough to give up on Pruitt when it was already a dumpster fire before he got here. Maybe he’ll figure it out. Or maybe not. Does it matter? I couldn’t say. It seems to be okay so.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A huge part of that is lack of development by the coaching staff. Look at teams like Baylor that we beat in recruiting rankings by a wide margin every year, and yet they consistently field decent teams even with the coaching turnovers. They’d stomp a hole in us. Something is wrong with this staff, and there’s a great chance it is Pruitt micromanaging.

You're right. Something definitely is off behind the scenes. Our players look small, slow, and soft. That is absolutely 100% a development issue. But an even greater concern I have is that our players look disinterested. They don't seem to play with any emotion, no sense of urgency or fire in their belly's. They say a team takes on the personality of the coach, I wonder if that's the case here.

It's the biggest need but you're being very short-sighted if you think that's all we need. We have no elite edge rushers. We have no difference makers at tight end. We have no big physical RB's. Other than To'o To'o we have no elite LB's. We are deficient all over the field but yes, QB is by far the most glaring deficiency.
Yes, we have other needs, but an offense that can at least possess the ball and score at least 30 points keeps the defense off the field and makes extra effort worthwhile. I think the team quits when they feel that winning is the only thing and there is no way we are winning if we can't score and possess the ball. Jones sucked...right? Dobbs wasn't the GOAT, but he could run effectively which made the offense unpredictable. JG is a pocket passer too slow and scared to run. He's slow to realize it's time to go and then he gets caught most of the time before he gets going. Stretching out the defense and at least coasting to a few first downs would help a lot. He did that late in the game Saturday, but why doesn't he do it early when it can matter? JG is just slow to decide what to do unless it's a handoff.

Reactions: BreatheUT
If Im fulmer. I use my back channel people to take to 1. Kiffin...(make more outta less then most coaches) 2. Sark (tell him if we make a change it'll be fast and we want him ready)
3. Kalani Sitake BYU.

Reactions: onevol74
Jeremy Pruitt and Jim Chaney are a great combo together.

Crazy thing is I have never seen Pruitt have a bad defense week in and week out and I have never seen Chaney have a bad offense week in and week out.

Pruitt is slowly recruiting more horses on the defense. Chaney has all the pieces except QB. Someone made an interesting point. Chaney has never really had a bad offense considering how many freshman QB's he's had to work with and how many multi year starters he's had to work with.

So Chaney either got lazy and sucks at his job or he is being forced to roll with JG by Pruitt even though JG is not a top QB in any category.

I really believe that Chaney and the offense will be fine in the post JG era.

I think Pruitt is totally to blame for offensive issues as he has stuck with JG for 2 years with no success. At some point, Pruitt is gonna have to bench him for good. He can't piece together games and wins like last year.

Pruitt can't go 5-5 or 6-4 this year without Maurer or Bailey getting a crap ton of playing time. Continuing to roll out JG does nothing for Pruitt in terms of program building.

Reactions: tbh
1. Replace Friend with a good O-line coach.
2. Go ahead and let Tee take over offensive play calling.
3. Let Chaney support both 1&2.
4. Bench Guarantano immediately for our future quarterback.

Do these steps, and everything will be AIGHT!

Remember, we just did a coaching search and there wasn't a lot of knockdown options. Some will say Leach, but look at Miss St! Who out there is better and really wants to come to Tennessee to be Head Football Coach?

There are some posters on this board would throw their Mothers under the bus for no real reason. One just has to ignore them and real9zed the positive str9des which our football has made in the last three years. There are s0me holes which need to be filled as there always is when you face a new season. This year we have a very talented Freshman class and in a normal season, many of this Freshmen would be improving our on the field performance, had they had Spring practice and a normal Fall practice. We do not yet know if we have a TE ,a QB, an inside LB who would have made the difference in the Kentucky game or allowed us to be more competitive against Georgia and Alabama. We have a terrific recruiting class waiting to be signed which will make us even more competitive in the future years. I do not care who one is playing, you will not win many ball games when you have 8 turnovers in a little more than 5 quarters, many of which were retuned for scores. When your on fans troll the players and coaches, they can not be considered to be Tennessee fans. I have seen 75 years of Tennessee football and have witnessed fans who love their University and will support our Athletic Program and are smart enough to recognize when progress in being made. We have seen the results of firing-changing coaches every 3-4 years and not allowing sufficient time for a rebuild to be accomplished.
The NCAA has determined that this season is a "throw away" season. Why can not our fans realize that. Every school has been face with their own unique conditions resulting from Covid. The playing field is not level. the opportunities are jot consistent. Would you prefer not playing any games this year, or are you pleased the we are playing a ten game SEC only season. I do appreciate the fact that we are playing football and in this throw away season, we have the opportunity to discover where our weeks positions are and have the opportunity to fill those holes through recruiting . Being negative all the time must not be a pleasant lifestyle. Be positive and look forward to the future. You will sleep better at night and will be more acceptable to those around you. Try, you might like it. JMPO

Reactions: JacketVol
No one is getting fired , but you don't give people extensions before the year even starts... He's got a 5 game season and he probably needs to find a way to get to 5-5 so they can consider giving him another raise and extension, it's how they roll. I'm not even mad at Pruitt , but you have to laugh at how UT runs their program.. It's no wonder it's been in the gutter for so long. Bonehead seems to be in style up there.

He’s not getting another extension. He has two classes of his own and one coming up that is looking pretty good and why extending was done. To get back we need Jimmy and Joes and that is area this staff has done well. The extension allows others to not negatively recruit against our HC. Only way to possibly make it out of this is to stack 4 outstanding classes and get depth for CJP to perform with or the next coach who will not have a total rebuild. However, will be interesting how one free transfer will kill a program if they do fire a coach who kids came to play for. If they transfer in a flood, then you may never recover. We will be stuck with Pruitt for a minimum of 5 years. Have to hope he gets it.

For those who don't remember or were not around, all this mess is because we fired CPF. We had bunch of spoiled fans with unrealistic expectations and an AD who listened to them. The firing of CPF set off a chain of events that lead to the dumpster fire that the program became. Hamilton hired that punk Kiffin because all he understood was politics and optics. Kiffin leaves us with no time to do a proper coaching search, not that that would have mattered with Hamilton.

We were left with Dooley, who looked the part and had a last name. When Dooley imploded we get Butch. We won't go into that.

After over a decade we have an actual football coach again. He was hired by an elite football coach who might have a little more on the ball than "football expert" fans. CPF please don't listen to the fans, it cost us a lost decade.

Reactions: mickeyvol
If you want an elite coach, you have to be willing to compensate him. UT tries to poor boy every hire thinking they will find a diamond in the rough. They end up with a polished turd! His excuses come off as incompetence. He's 15-15 and has never beaten Florida, Georgia, or Bama. He is the definition of a mediocre coach. This off season will be telling if coordinators jump ship.

Pruitt can't go 5-5 or 6-4 this year without Maurer or Bailey getting a crap ton of playing time. Continuing to roll out JG does nothing for Pruitt in terms of program building.
Unfortunately, it's beginning to look like Pruitt's odds of figuring this out are only slightly better than JG's chances of figuring out the QB position..

You wonder where we would be today if years ago after Fulmer was fired we'd hired a coach that had a reliable winning history and paid the money necessary to get him. We've went through Dooley, Jones and now Pruitt with very little to show for the money that has been paid. Basketball we went with a proven winner in Barnes and look where we are today. I haven't given up on Pruitt being able to do it but when is the question and how hard headed do you have to be to not make the changes that look obvious. Pruitt is here for a while at least another couple we just have to hope that somehow it eventually all clicks.

We should’ve backed up the armored truck to Mullen’s house when we had the chance. But alas, we hired another “red hot up and coming assistant”

Reactions: Doberman

Leach is in year 1 installing a polar opposite offense. Pruitt is in year 3 and regressing

Reactions: Tnphil
All of this discussion about keeping or firing a coach is really insignificant to me.
I am just wondering when and how Fulmer and the boosters who keep repeating these clusters over and over again are going to make this program relevant again? What is the plan?

Because it is not happening now and there is no hint of it happening in the near future. Until that happens the name of the head coach is really insignificant.

Nailed it. I posted this last year (updated)

From Jan 2010- Sept 2012 if you questioned or said anything that wasn't positive about Dooley= Nega-vol
From Oct 2012- Present if you say anything positive about Dooley= Nega-vol

From Dec 2012- Sept 2017 if you questioned or said anything that wasn't positive about Butch= Nega-vol
From Oct 2017 - Present if you say anything positive about Butch= Nega-vol

From Dec 2017-Aug 30, 2019 if you said anything that wasn't positive about Pruitt or didn't like cornbread= Nega-vol
From Aug 31, 2019- Oct 11, 2019 if you said anything positive about Pruitt and still liked cornbread= Nega-vol
From Oct 12, 2019- Oct 17, 2020 if you question anything about Pruitt and don't believe cornbread deserves its own level on the food pyramid= Nega-vol
Currently, if you say anything positive about Pruitt= Nega-vol
I think there are several instances where you meant to say sunshine pumper

Fan base is nuts, seriously. Remember all the post about how another school was going come and steal Pruitt, offer him big money and UT would be stuck again. Now the same people are calling for his head, just have to laugh.

Bottom line is we got what we paid for, an unproven head coach, but a really good defensive coach. He has to be more involved in the offense scoring more points, and that means changing qb soon to get Bailey up to speed. This year no red shirt needed so great opportunity for training our new guys, like free experience. Stop wasting time with JG.

VN Store

Back