Transfer Portal 22-23

Fr7aUGrX0AM-Dqa
Now this the one lol

Reactions: PRG
These transfers situations really are getting ridiculous, and the Covid super-senior year seems to exacerbating things this season. Arizona's fans seem to think that a combination of those returning Covid year seniors combined with their top recruiting class is what squeezed out the four transferring players. No idea if it's true, but it makes some sense on paper. I wonder how big a situation it'll be this offseason?

Whatever happens, if Tennessee is going to dip into the transfer portal heavily this offseason, I hope they're selective with pickups and keep hunting for big high school recruiting wins.

These transfers situations really are getting ridiculous, and the Covid super-senior year seems to exacerbating things this season. Arizona's fans seem to think that a combination of those returning Covid year seniors combined with their top recruiting class is what squeezed out the four transferring players. No idea if it's true, but it makes some sense on paper. I wonder how big a situation it'll be this offseason?

Whatever happens, if Tennessee is going to dip into the transfer portal heavily this offseason, I hope they're selective with pickups and keep hunting for big high school recruiting wins.

More than one way to skin a cat. Personally I’m a fan of the portal. It’s been good for our program. We have some of those top recruits and they came with experience and a better idea of what they want in a program.

So few kids are willing to ride the pine as a freshman and want coaches to make promises on playing time, starting or other things. I suspect that has scared off some HS recruits for us as this staff just isn’t going to make promises like that.

If we can continue to bring in 1 or 2 upperclassmen and 1 underclassmen from the portal like last season there isn’t much need for HS recruits unless you just really want to have kids for 4 seasons.

Last edited:
More than one way to skin a cat. Personally I’m a fan of the portal. It’s been good for our program. We have some of those top recruits and they came with experience and a better idea of what they want in a program.

So few kids are willing to ride the pine as a freshman and want coaches to make promises on playing time, starting or other things. I suspect that has scared off some HS recruits for us as this staff just isn’t going to make promises like they.

If we can continue to bring in 1 or 2 upperclassmen and 1 underclassmen from the portal like last season there isn’t much need for HS recruits unless you just really want to have kids for 4 seasons.
That transition from various programs was rough early on this season. Finding the correct fits is gonna be a hugie.

I like acquiring players from the portal too. You know more about what you're getting. They are less likely to transfer away from you.

But the thing that I hope CKH has learned is that you need to define the roles earlier in the season. She needs to trust her gut, establish the roles of the role players and the expectations of the key players within 7 games of the start of the season. It shouldn't take until March for things to click and efficiency to increase, but better late than never.

I like acquiring players from the portal too. You know more about what you're getting. They are less likely to transfer away from you.

But the thing that I hope CKH has learned is that you need to define the roles earlier in the season. She needs to trust her gut, establish the roles of the role players and the expectations of the key players within 7 games of the start of the season. It shouldn't take until March for things to click and efficiency to increase, but better late than never.

Great post. Took wayyy too long to find our rotations this season and we over scheduled. I don’t mind a tough schedule but starting with Ohio State was a horrible idea. Set us off on the wrong foot immediately.

This is very true and i cant believe im saying this but it seems likee tamari and marta going out helped with this cuz we had to many players and maybe some people was playing that didnt need to but now we have a solid nine and everyone knows there role we were always one of the deepest rosters in the league it was jus getting the combinations on the floor which took us till march to find out lol

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I remember reading that Coach Banghart had never had a player transfer at Princeton or UNC. Not intended as good or bad, Just the changing times for players.

reasons given at Arizona and UNC is the standard - loss of playing time and incoming class of freshmen. The question that will be significant for student athletes and the LV coaching staff is the expectations of a player transferring and knowing her role prior to arriving. And of course how much NIL and does she want and fit in a family atmosphere.

I remember reading that Coach Banghart had never had a player transfer at Princeton or UNC. Not intended as good or bad, Just the changing times for players.

reasons given at Arizona and UNC is the standard - loss of playing time and incoming class of freshmen. The question that will be significant for student athletes and the LV coaching staff is the expectations of a player transferring and knowing her role prior to arriving. And of course how much NIL and does she want and fit in a family atmosphere.

Playing time ….. 🤷‍♂️. What about the players from NC… double figure scorers and 5 rebounds average is not from a non player?

I’m for NCAA putting a roster cap on all sports of portal players. A 20% a year and no more than 30% total on the roster at one time. As great as it was for us, it’s a program killer for large and small schools and disrupts opportunities for high school kids. Same opportunities given to those that are transferring. Would give second thought to players leaving and coaches selecting kids.

I’m for NCAA putting a roster cap on all sports of portal players. A 20% a year and no more than 30% total on the roster at one time. As great as it was for us, it’s a program killer for large and small schools and disrupts opportunities for high school kids. Same opportunities given to those that are transferring. Would give second thought to players leaving and coaches selecting kids.

Dumb post as usual lol

VN Store

Back