Transfer Portal 21-22

I don’t have a problem that she left, it’s HOW she left. Jaz left, Mimi left and NEITHER of them trashed the program on their way out. What I don’t understand is people going out of their way to defend Evina, but they’ll trash Diamond or at the very least never defend her.
All of this!!
I will never in my life understand how anonymous adults feel entitled to so cruelly criticize young women who are obviously trying their best. One foot in adulthood and one foot still in childhood and some folks give them not one inch of grace. And then say things like “well the kids and their parents shouldn’t be on these sites anyway”. How in the world is that a reasonable rationalization for pathetic behavior on their part?[/QUOTE

I don’t have a problem that she left, it’s HOW she left. Jaz left, Mimi left and NEITHER of them trashed the program on their way out. What I don’t understand is people going out of their way to defend Evina, but they’ll trash Diamond or at the very least never defend her.

Same. Love DD. She’s a LVFL. The other one? Nah.

You can definitely say that the UConn post game is a big reason they are not playing for the title this season. 4 of 15 and all of that four was Edwards. Ono is becoming the highest ranked less effective player ever.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
You can definitely say that the UConn post game is a big reason they are not playing for the title this season. 4 of 15 and all of that four was Edwards. Ono is becoming the highest ranked less effective player ever.

well that and Az took the head off the snake and other perimeter players didn’t step up. They ask are used to taking away the other teams star player and others not stepping up. That didn’t happen yesterday.

Diamond is LVFL idk why some ppl dislike her
View attachment 360452

I love DD. Was extremely excited when she came to Knoxville. She was never fully healthy and suffered from Holly coaching and team chemistry issues. She and Nared just couldn’t play very well together which was sad because they were both super talented.

I didn't ever blame any player for leaving Holly just was a bad situation. I was really surprised she decided to come to Tennessee after her freshman season at NC. I'm sure when she was thinking what have I done when she saw the throw the pass into the post triple team was the main offensive play.

Mmmm, I remember when the recruiting gameplan was Kaela Davis + Diamond DeShields = national championship banners. Hah. Yep. Good times. Never had too many negative thoughts about DeShields, but I was confused (or perhaps concerned) as to how Tennessee couldn't seem to engage her to her full ability.

Never had too many negative thoughts about DeShields, but I was confused (or perhaps concerned) as to how Tennessee couldn't seem to engage her to her full ability.

It was painfully obvious to me that DeShields checked out at the point she realized that Holly lacked the leadership skills and intellect to do anything whatsover to develop her game any further. She got to the point where she could barely even look at Holly she was so disillusioned. As a longtime fan, those moments made me cringe.

How good could Diamond have been, we’ll never know. Holly had no idea how to Coach up players who wanted to play fast, so players like Diamond and Alexa sat on the bench. Kellie has done the opposite with Jordan Horston. Jordan is now protecting the ball much better, and the players who were not ready for her passes before, are now catching them.

I love DD. Was extremely excited when she came to Knoxville. She was never fully healthy and suffered from Holly coaching and team chemistry issues. She and Nared just couldn’t play very well together which was sad because they were both super talented.

It would’ve been amazing to see Diamond play for Pat. It was so evident how much she loved and respected Coach Summitt even when she was a recruit. She had all the tools to have a Candace-Parker type impact on a program. With competent coaching, DeShields would easily be in the conservation of all-time greats at TN.

Those might be the favorites, but I think it would be unwise not to throw in Maryland, Baylor, and perhaps Oregon. Not to mention Louisville and perhaps a rising Texas.

And that's before the transfer portal fully shakes out. There are some players in the portal and perhaps more to come that could radically change some team compositions.
Arizona vs. Stanford. Parity.

Diamond is LVFL idk why some ppl dislike her
View attachment 360452

I think a lot of people don't like her because she said she was returning and then a little while later bolted after Te'a was kicked off the team. Still, she has to make the decision that's best for her. Not only did she graduate from UT, but so did her mom, and she makes it clear she bleeds orange and always will.

Last edited:
Those might be the favorites, but I think it would be unwise not to throw in Maryland, Baylor, and perhaps Oregon. Not to mention Louisville and perhaps a rising Texas.

And that's before the transfer portal fully shakes out. There are some players in the portal and perhaps more to come that could radically change some team compositions.

Maryland, Baylor and Louisville have been great-to-elite programs for a while now. I mean ... Baylor just won a NC two years ago. Maryland and Louisville have multiple FF appearances over the last decade.

It remains to be seen how good Oregon is going to be. Graves is a great coach, but a lot of their recent success had to do with recruiting, and specifically Ionescu taking a chance and going there when they were a nobody and she was a top 5 recruit. I could see Oregon WBB being similar to what Oklahoma was: they struck gold with some elite recruits that took a chance on them (Ionescu, the Paris sisters), made a couple FFs, but then they fizzle out because they can't keep their recruiting train going. I remember when Cal made the FF back in 2013 and everyone thought they were going to be the next big thing. They haven't done anything since then, and now they are horrible and one of the worst teams in the Pac-12. Texas A&M never became the elite program that people thought they would be after they won the NC in 2011. Maryland is a great program but people also thought they would be elite after 2006. They get to a FF here and there but haven't been a real contender for the NC in any year since then. It's a lot harder to maintain being a great, much less elite, program than it is to become one. Look how programs like Texas, LSU, Tennessee, UNC, Rutgers and Duke have fallen off over the last decade.

VN Store

Back