Transfer Portal 21-22

LUVMESUMVOL, my best advice for your worried mind is to think about how every season since Harper took over we’ve seen improvements over the one before it. Every aspect of the program keeps taking it up a notch or two every single year. With Pissott and the super transfers already signed, I think we can all safely assume that Tennessee is, once again, seen as a very attractive option to great, great players. The progression has been consistently upward, so we’ll be getting more of the type of high school players you have in mind sooner rather than later IMO.

Fortunately there are still some transfers in the portal left that can help, but players like Rivers can take a great team to elite...

That's just a bunch of hyperbole. What part of Rivers' freshman season shows her being capable of taking a great team to elite? She is an unproven commodity. Would she have been nice to have, yes, but let's be realistic here.

That's just a bunch of hyperbole. What part of Rivers' freshman season shows her being capable of taking a great team to elite? She is an unproven commodity. Would she have been nice to have, yes, but let's be realistic here.

If Rivers had committed to Tennessee that same poster would have been ridiculing the commitment and going on and on and on about her poor shooting last year, and how come Kellie can't land any players with any proven ability.

Help me out please you or anyone because i know you have said to us its not about stars.we are so excited to have some of the top transfers added to this team to the point we are thinking elite 8,final 4 and possibly a natty myself included because great talent has been added to the team and has given us fans confidence that we can be a great team this upcoming season. rickea Jackson is a former 5☆ and by all accounts everyone is so happy she chose us.so why am I and other posters who say we need some 5☆players from high school getting feedback from quite a few posters saying it's about more than getting elite players stars aint important.i see nothing wrong with beating the drum saying we are not getting back to elite until we get the elite high schoolers. just like we are estactic over getting the elite portal transfers i want to get excited over the elite high school recruits coming to the LV .so again I'm saying we need some ELITE high school recruits to have this same excitement and expectations that we have about this upcoming team
Pats summits last few recruiting classes were loaded with top ten players; Glory Johnson, Alicia Brewer, Alicia Manning, Shekina Strickland, Brianna bass, Alecia grey, Kelly Cain and numerous others that were top ten talent. How far did those teams make it? Hell, half of them couldn't stand each other and there was nothing Pat could do to fix that. Did they ever make a final four? With all that talent between 2009 and 2016, did any of those teams make the final four? You may be half right, you have to have "Good" players, but you also have to have players who mesh well and get along with that common goal. The best coach to ever coach the game couldn't do it, but you say that is the only way we will ever get back there.

Pats summits last few recruiting classes were loaded with top ten players; Glory Johnson, Alicia Brewer, Alicia Manning, Shekina Strickland, Brianna bass, Alecia grey, Kelly Cain and numerous others that were top ten talent. How far did those teams make it? Hell, half of them couldn't stand each other and there was nothing Pat could do to fix that. Did they ever make a final four? With all that talent between 2009 and 2016, did any of those teams make the final four? You may be half right, you have to have "Good" players, but you also have to have players who mesh well and get along with that common goal. The best coach to ever coach the game couldn't do it, but you say that is the only way we will ever get back there.
None of them were great

Help me out please you or anyone because i know you have said to us its not about stars.we are so excited to have some of the top transfers added to this team to the point we are thinking elite 8,final 4 and possibly a natty myself included because great talent has been added to the team and has given us fans confidence that we can be a great team this upcoming season. rickea Jackson is a former 5☆ and by all accounts everyone is so happy she chose us.so why am I and other posters who say we need some 5☆players from high school getting feedback from quite a few posters saying it's about more than getting elite players stars aint important.i see nothing wrong with beating the drum saying we are not getting back to elite until we get the elite high schoolers. just like we are estactic over getting the elite portal transfers i want to get excited over the elite high school recruits coming to the LV .so again I'm saying we need some ELITE high school recruits to have this same excitement and expectations that we have about this upcoming team
I agree with you somewhat in that I want to see a big time recruit come aboard. I think everyone will agree with that.
It has been awhile since our last commit out of high school, but I think the transfer portal has changed the way teams will now recruit. I believe the coaches will now keep recruits to a minimum(1 or 2) just because of who may come available in the portal. I don't see our coaches over recruiting and asking players to leave because someone better is available. Hearing from our transfers they all mention the team atmosphere as one of the top reasons for coming to play at Tennessee.

I do know that 2015 and 2016 saw lots of injuries.

We had one Alicia on the team in those years, which was Manning. Alyssia Brewer and Amber Gray were the other two.

Bass and Brewer weren't top ten players. I don't think Manning was, either, by the time her senior year came around, although I think she was when she committed as like a sophomore.

Those years involved injuries, BTW. Brewer was injured her junior year and then left for UCLA, Amber Gray had a stroke and never played again after playing very little her freshman year and eventually transferred, Cain battled injuries her entire career and didn't play her final season. Not to mention there wasn't a healthy PG on the team until Massengale came in at the end as as freshman. Cait McMahan was riddled with injuries -- and also didn't finish her career -- and Avant pretty much was a shell of her former self after injuries, too, and left after a season.

Or it's possible, Dr. Phil, I am invested in seeing the Lady Vols return to the Final Four and become legitimate title contenders both in the coming season and the years to follow -- and I sure would have liked their chances of both a lot better with Rivers on the roster as opposed to without.

Fortunately there are still some transfers in the portal left that can help, but players like Rivers can take a great team to elite...

Rivers averaged 13 minutes per game in 27 games at SC last year, with 2.3 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. On what evidence do you claim she can make a great team elite?

If Rivers had committed to Tennessee that same poster would have been ridiculing the commitment and going on and on and on about her poor shooting last year, and how come Kellie can't land any players with any proven ability.
Be careful, you might be getting a Dr. Phil II comment coming your way :D

Reactions: volfan__18
We had one Alicia on the team in those years, which was Manning. Alyssia Brewer and Amber Gray were the other two.

Bass and Brewer weren't top ten players. I don't think Manning was, either, by the time her senior year came around, although I think she was when she committed as like a sophomore.

Those years involved injuries, BTW. Brewer was injured her junior year and then left for UCLA, Amber Gray had a stroke and never played again after playing very little her freshman year and eventually transferred, Cain battled injuries her entire career and didn't play her final season. Not to mention there wasn't a healthy PG on the team until Massengale came in at the end as as freshman. Cait McMahan was riddled with injuries -- and also didn't finish her career -- and Avant pretty much was a shell of her former self after injuries, too, and left after a season.

Good recall. To add a little more detail thought Johnson was widely regarded as the #2 recruit behind Della Donne and Stricklen was a blue chipper as well. Interesting thing about Kelly Cain. She redshirted her freshman season but was pretty healthy for the next three She declined her fifth year senior season because of health and then immediately signed to play pro in Turkey.

Back to the original poster, I agree that the team in the 2007-2010 had good talent but just never gelled.

I agree with you somewhat in that I want to see a big time recruit come aboard. I think everyone will agree with that.
It has been awhile since our last commit out of high school, but I think the transfer portal has changed the way teams will now recruit. I believe the coaches will now keep recruits to a minimum(1 or 2) just because of who may come available in the portal. I don't see our coaches over recruiting and asking players to leave because someone better is available. Hearing from our transfers they all mention the team atmosphere as one of the top reasons for coming to play at Tennessee.

Why are people overlooking Justine Pissott? ESPN ranks her as 11th best recruit overall and #2 at her position. She is the incoming class.

That's just a bunch of hyperbole.

And that's just your opinion. Regardless, there's no debate she could have helped the team for seasons to come. Either way, twisting my disappointment of missing out on Rivers as some kind of shot at the incoming transfers is a pretty big reach, even for my usual genius peanut gallery...

Reactions: olddog and Peas29

Not really an apt example. Pat's health was compromised in her final seasons and after that, well...

Good recall. To add a little more detail thought Johnson was widely regarded as the #2 recruit behind Della Donne and Stricklen was a blue chipper as well. Interesting thing about Kelly Cain. She redshirted her freshman season but was pretty healthy for the next three She declined her fifth year senior season because of health and then immediately signed to play pro in Turkey.

Back to the original poster, I agree that the team in the 2007-2010 had good talent but just never gelled.

Johnson and Stricklen's class was a very good one. They won the SEC twice and had 2 E8 losses and 1 S16 loss (vs. Griner's Baylor team) in their 4 years...and those were considered disappointing results at the time.

I loved how Glory Johnson played. I think she lived up to her top 5 recruiting ranking. She was such a beast of a rebounder! She certainly had a reputation, whether deserved or underserved, as rubbing other people the wrong way even back in her high school days at Webb. So, her play may have been at a high skill level but I never sensed she was a team leader that could help the team play better as a unit. There was just some lack of connection there.

We have the #11 player in the nation 5 star Justine Pissott. McDonalds All American. What you talking about? Oh yeah she is playing for USA this summer. Come on now. Others will come

Reactions: Ladyvolfan4ever
Justine is the real deal and she continually works on her game. And she is not a streak shooter, she is steady
She is going to make Tess Darby take a seat really soon into the season. Long can handle the ball and shoots lights out from deep can’t leave her open
She’s going to spread the flooR a lot for Key and Jackson along with Horston .

Reactions: youcancallmeAl

The best coach to ever coach the game was probably already suffering early symptoms of Alzheimer's during those years, which impacted her ability to manage her teams. I absolutely believe and would argue that a fully functional Pat would have fixed the team problems one way or another.

Sorry, not to step into the middle of the wider argument. I just feel like people often lose sight of the fact she was not herself years before the announcement. Those teams did pretty well, but a 100% healthy Pat would have cut some nets with that bunch.

Last edited:
And that's just your opinion. Regardless, there's no debate she could have helped the team for seasons to come. Either way, twisting my disappointment of missing out on Rivers as some kind of shot at the incoming transfers is a pretty big reach, even for my usual genius peanut gallery...

And that's just YOUR opinion. And, there's no debate (at least among basketball talent experts) that Jasmine Franklin will help this team for this coming season. And yet you chose to debate it. You express disappointment over almost EVERY valued recruit who doesn't sign here, and rarely if ever express happiness for the ones that do. You constantly express doom for the program if certain recruits don't sign here. And all that despite you knowing that recruiting is by nature a lot more misses than hits. Your track record is clear: You hold ill will towards the LV program under Kellie Harper. IMO, there is no debate about that.

VN Store

Back