Tony Elliot Reaching Out To Assistant Coaches Should He Become Tennessee HC

This is good news for us. It means Elliot wants the job but hasn’t been offered it yet. Sounds like he’s our fallback option. Not a bad fallback IMO but I’d be surprised if we can’t get someone with HC experience. Hard to imagine us passing on Chadwell and Napier or them passing on us.

Kiffin, Freeze, Campbell, Fleck, Malzahn, Franklin and the like became a pipe dream the moment we announced the investigation.

Kiffin doesn't have any major NCAA violations, only secondary violations. There are very few Power 5 coaches that don't have any violations.

I disagree with your charge of racism....I would call it realism. Not only could it help mitigate the sanctions, but it also would change the perception of TN some 16-18 year old athletes might have; in addition, we would likely wind up with some really fine coaches and recruiters.

Many people want Tony Elliot, but I really don’t think we are in a position right now to hire an assistant to be a HC. He is good, but our situation is so messy we need experience to lead us through this IMO.
I don't think UT is in a place where they can say no to what appears to be a very good coach. Whomever the HC is won't have to navigate through the NCAA mess, the AD and his people will. The next HC will of course have to deal with the ramifications of what happens. But if they are good at what they do (coaching, recruiting, developing etc.) then that will take care of itself in due time. JMO.

I prefer content of character over color of skin. Just sayin'

Sure. But just based on demographics of the coaching profession, I believe that a great number of black coaches are being overlooked. It stands to reason that there should be high quality black coaches available that have never received the opportunity, and that a black coach may be more likely to take a risk on us knowing that he may have fewer opportunities come his way than if he were white.

I disagree with your charge of racism....I would call it realism. Not only could it help mitigate the sanctions, but it also would change the perception of TN some 16-18 year old athletes might have; in addition, we would likely wind up with some really fine coaches and recruiters.
Imagine if someone would have posted the other way around? They’d be crucified

My biggest concern with this guy is the same I had with Mr. Aight, no HC experience AND he had offenses at Clemson that was loaded with talent. I don’t give a $$$$ who the coach is, talent wins the race. Can he come to Tennessee and win with less talent and probably scholarship restrictions??

If coach wants that, I back him up, 100%. There are some good coaches on staff. If thy don't fit the new coaches plan, they have to go. I am simply saying Chaney and Steele can contribute.
Chaney is a fat washed up retread.
Steele is a mediocre DC.

I understand what you're trying to say and your good intentions, but it's a bad take

Imagine if someone would have posted the other way around? They’d be crucified
I agree but it is all about "perception" Social mores have changed, my friend......you either change with them or get left in the dust.......not saying it's right, just saying that is the way it is.

This is good news for us. It means Elliot wants the job but hasn’t been offered it yet. Sounds like he’s our fallback option. Not a bad fallback IMO but I’d be surprised if we can’t get someone with HC experience. Hard to imagine us passing on Chadwell and Napier or them passing on us.

Kiffin, Freeze, Campbell, Fleck, Malzahn, Franklin and the like became a pipe dream the moment we announced the investigation.

Or he may only be considering it. It may be hard to find assistant coaches that want to come here. He may decline if he can't get "his guys" onboard.

Anyone who has a strong opinion on Tony Elliott and hasn't been coached by him or worked with him is just being ridiculous IMHO.

Agreed! I've seen too many fans talk $hit about the man and say he won't win here just because Pruitt didn't. Honestly some of the most stupid stuff I've seen on here. If fans wanna say we're too good to hire another 1st time HC and would revolt. If he is hired, I hope a few ignorant fans don't try and pull another Schiano. Saying we can't win with a first time HC is asinine. It damn sure didn't hurt GA with their last 2 first time HC's ( Richt and Smart), Oklahoma (Stoops and Riley), Ohio St ( Day), Clemson (Dabo), Fla St (Jimbo Fisher), Tenn (Fulmer), Okla St ( Gundy), Vandy (James Franklin), Temple (Matt Rhule), Boise St (Chris Peterson), TCU ( Gary Patterson), Oregon (Chip Kelly),...etc..those are just a few very successful HC's that were very successful on their first HC job. 8 of those guys are still at their first HC gig and a couple retired from their initial job. Point is to the fans bashing Elliott, if he's hired give him a chance. He very well could be the next great HC. If not, he will atleast leave it better than how our last HC did. But comparing him to Pruitt has got to be one of the top 2-3 dumbest things I've seen on here. I definitely prefer Elliott over Dykes, , Steele and some other former HC's. And yes my first choice would obviously be a HC that's been successful in the power 5 but if not Elliott would be a great choice. Plus, I bet he could put a helluva staff together and recruit well.

BOOM BABBYYYY!!!! That’s the optimism we need around here. I love that positivity. That really get the vibe going around here. GOTTA LOVE IT!
smfh

You can slap your fh all you want, and it wont change a thing. I've been on the Norman Vincent Peale Express for the Vols since 2009, and I am just a bit fatigued.

But, hey, you be you, 'kay? :)

The problem is this...what if there is no sitting P5 coach willing to take the job?
They don't want the sh!+ show that is UT football right now..............
Of the high profile programs that are really down right now (UT, Nebraska, FSU, and UCLA) UT is in the worst shape

VN Store

Back