Tony Elliot Reaching Out To Assistant Coaches Should He Become Tennessee HC

I don't know how great of a HC Elliott would be....no one does. But if the multiple NFL teams with HC's like Pete Carroll are trying to snag you up from the college ranks to be an OC....you have got to be one hell of a play caller. On the flip side...great play callers do not always make great HC's...see also Jeremy Pruitt...which is why everyone on here is nervous about him.
There's lots to be nervous about with Vols Football. We've dug ourselves quite a hole. It's possible that not even Saban could dig out in a way that makes the folks here happy. I'm planning to focus on things that I'm good at for a few years and just be happy to have a football team. East Tennessee is a remarkable place, and the University is a great part of that. I hope they win, but I'll pay attention as long as they make a good faith effort to take steps in the right direction.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Have concerns that the rebuild here needs a manager, a head coach. I don’t know anything about Tony Elliott. I do know that we’ve been down the road of hiring an assistant coach who’s been calling plays with 5* talent all over the field. Maybe he’s the guy, just seems a lot like the guy we just fired.

Hiring someone because of their skin color is the definition of racism. That's not opinion. It's fact. Just because it fits with your social justice agenda doesn't change that.
Not at all a statement concerning SJ; rather, an opinion of how best to get our Vols through sanctions and possibly hire great coaches. Let's face it, coaching hires are always a crap shoot......why not hire a staff that would help mitigate the sanctions and, who knows, maybe be great coaches and recruiters......SJ never entered my mind

Interesting...a Clemson reporter said that Tony wasn’t contacted by Tennessee at all, yet here is this report.

Of note Tony Elliot did not make the trip to New Orleans to play Ohio St. which would lead to the preemptive work that was being done before they fired JP on 1/18. Just saying since there was rumor then that he was leaving Clemson then.

Here's the thing regarding hiring Elliot vs someone like Chadwell. What would you rather have? A coach who's been at a big time program or a head coach who's been at a small program? Which is better? Either way you're hiring a coach with no head coaching experience at a big time program.

Here's the thing regarding hiring Elliot vs someone like Chadwell. What would you rather have? A coach who's been at a big time program or a head coach who's been at a small program? Which is better? Either way you're hiring a coach with no head coaching experience at a big time program.
I want the administrative experience of running a program. That is one less thing to have to learn on the job.

Last edited:
Of note Tony Elliot did not make the trip to New Orleans to play Ohio St. which would lead to the preemptive work that was being done before they fired JP on 1/18. Just saying since there was rumor then that he was leaving Clemson then.
Thought it was cause he had COVID or something like that

Hold it. Hold it. Are you suggesting he stayed home from a national championship semi-final game so that he could stay home and do "preemptive work" for a job he might not get?

Chadwell's team was really impressive. They played very tough on defense and had an exciting offensive scheme.

Reactions: Volbrando
A number of coaches could be successful here, regardless of whether they are currently a HC or OC/DC. The key is letting your OC and DC manage their sides of the ball. JP didn’t do that. He micro-managed everyone which watered down Chaney’s offense and confused Ansley’s defense.

The HC sets the direction and the coordinators lead the effort.

I want the administrative experience of running a program. That is one less thing to have to earn on the job.

That is a real concern, because the HC job includes so many details that managing them all successfully is not an automatic. Obviously, the job is difficult, and it does not take many little fails to affect the scoreboard on game days.

There's lots to be nervous about with Vols Football. We've dug ourselves quite a hole. It's possible that not even Saban could dig out in a way that makes the folks here happy. I'm planning to focus on things that I'm good at for a few years and just be happy to have a football team. East Tennessee is a remarkable place, and the University is a great part of that. I hope they win, but I'll pay attention as long as they make a good faith effort to take steps in the right direction.
The penalties are not going to be as severe as people think. Other programs have done FAR more evil than us....and for multiple years. USC, Miami, UNC, Colorado, and of course Penn State. We were proactive and cleaned house immediately. We are going to get penalized...but not like USC or SMU style death blows.

As far as our hole goes...with the right HC and great recruiting with the scholarships we have...it’s not as deep as y’all think. We have talent on this team still. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. Just not depth. Gonna depend on this hire.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I disagree with your charge of racism....I would call it realism. Not only could it help mitigate the sanctions, but it also would change the perception of TN some 16-18 year old athletes might have; in addition, we would likely wind up with some really fine coaches and recruiters.
Lol this is silly

Just another day of the TN HC search and another day that this needs to be repeated.

Hyams, Swain, Low, Hubbs, Price, Wallace. NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING.

VN Store

Back