To Protect and to Serve II

Im
I like Ras. He keeps me grounded. I'd drink a beer with him.

I like Ras a bunch. For much the same reasons. We agree about a lot of things, and the things we dont, i stop and consider his perspective. Thats having respect for a different view. He Also never gets duped by the media into getting caught up in this racial wedge job they are trying to pull. Politicians do the same thing. Divide and conquer. There are some guys on here that i consider buddies that have some pretty racist viewpoints sometimes, and he doesnt get upset or caught up in that, either. I have respect for his views enough to question some of my own when it comes to history and geopolitics. He has enlightened me about several things leading up to WW1 and 2 for example, which i went on to read about. I love to learn, and its apparent he does as well. We dont really agree about Israel or Russia, but really thats about it. Cool cat. Seems like you are posting in here more lately, GW...we are glad to have ya.

I grew up in East Tennessee. Powell, if you'd care to know. My family goes back generations in Knox, Anderson, and Union counties. Moonshine and tobacco were the cash crops for them. I've traced us back to the Civil War, and the push for the State of Franklin. We were lily white, but Union supporters. While General Sherman might be hated to this day in certain corners of the state (and definitely the South), he was a brilliant strategist, and he understood that "total war", in the end, would save lives. Both Union and Confederate. Sherman is right up there with Patton in my book. If my grandparents, God rest their soul, knew that, they would disown me. I understand completely.

Joined the Navy at 17. Spent 20 years there. Submarines. Nobody cared what your skin color, political affiliation, or religion was. Just do your job. We all stood watch, ate, played cards, chased the Soviets, showered, and served together. I had the honor to serve with some good men over the years. Maybe that's where I learned what MLK preached, which was to judge others not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I consider his "I Have a Dream" speech right up there with anything Washington, or Lincoln, or Roosevelt, or Reagan did.

The story of "how I became a cop" is long and weird. But I did, and I tried to never let the badge weigh more than I did. I've made my mistakes...made an arrest when maybe there was another option; wrote a ticket just because I could; and let my ego rule instead of my heart. But over the years I learned, matured, and mellowed. I've also cried, openly, at a wreck where an innocent child died; same for a dog that ran out in traffic; and had to ask the Good Lord to guide my hand when I had to end the suffering of a deer that got hit by a car. Served no-knock warrants at 4 a.m. on a known drug dealer who we knew would shoot if we gave him time; learned the hard way that you hear the bullet before the shot when someone's shooting at you; attended two funerals of deputies I worked with who gave their life in the line of duty; and withstood the scrutiny that comes when you have no choice but to shoot back, or first. Been so scared I experienced "terror piss", and been so mad I refused to transport a guy we arrested for molesting his 10 year-old daughter. Made every mistake a cop can make, and so far...knock on wood...I'm still here.

I'm so flawed it's not funny. But my saving grace, if I have one, is that I care. Serve and Protect. You've heard me say that before. Basic mantra of those of us who are privileged to wear the badge. That's who I am; that's what motivates me; and that's what I defend here. Ras rubbed me the wrong way, way back when (I'm too lazy to go back and find the post), but in the days that have followed, I've learned that he and I are largely cut from the same cloth. We just took different paths to get where we are today, which is not that far apart on most issues.

So yeah, I'd drink a beer with him.

Maybe I just don't know what to look for. I do know that with the Decatur Genesis series in the moving mode, sometimes it's tough to lock on an approaching or departing target if their speed is within 1-2 mph of yours. The Decatur rep said that's to eliminate the radar locking on to a harmonic of your speed, which makes sense.

But the Genesis III has the "faster vehicle" mode, and same-direction capability, which is nice. From experience, laser on an overpass or on the side of the road is just as good, if not better. I can pick the exact vehicle I want to check.

Obsessed: I'll check with our DPS (commercial vehicle) guys on the jammers. I work with GSP a lot, and I've yet to hear the first one (outside of Atlanta) talk about them. Maybe it's a big-city thing. Or maybe we don't know what to watch for.

Relax, Ras...just tell me it's you and I'll write the warning instead...:cool:
Those laser things scare the crap out of me. Everytime i see one pointed at me i think its a gun. Ive seen a couple that appear to have scopes on them.

Dude, do you really think that low of me?

I have close friends with whom I have fundamental philosophical differences but still call friends.

I pulled over someone recently who I swore could have been you, DTH, or Huffines. Dude immediately called into question the legitimacy of the reason I pulled him over, stated his disdain for the intrusion, and then did everything but throw blatant insults my way.

At first, I was like...he's talked himself into as many tickets as I can find but then I was like...a screw that. All that would do would reaffirm his stereotype of me and the profession I love. So I killed him with kindness and sent him on with a warning...even though he was traveling nearly 20 over.

I'm not that guy. Few are. They just get the headlines, not the majority.
If you ever pull over DTH, don't look in his trunk. You'll think he's a weapons smuggler but in reality he'll just be on his way to the range.

I grew up in East Tennessee. Powell, if you'd care to know. My family goes back generations in Knox, Anderson, and Union counties. Moonshine and tobacco were the cash crops for them. I've traced us back to the Civil War, and the push for the State of Franklin. We were lily white, but Union supporters. While General Sherman might be hated to this day in certain corners of the state (and definitely the South), he was a brilliant strategist, and he understood that "total war", in the end, would save lives. Both Union and Confederate. Sherman is right up there with Patton in my book. If my grandparents, God rest their soul, knew that, they would disown me. I understand completely.

Joined the Navy at 17. Spent 20 years there. Submarines. Nobody cared what your skin color, political affiliation, or religion was. Just do your job. We all stood watch, ate, played cards, chased the Soviets, showered, and served together. I had the honor to serve with some good men over the years. Maybe that's where I learned what MLK preached, which was to judge others not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I consider his "I Have a Dream" speech right up there with anything Washington, or Lincoln, or Roosevelt, or Reagan did.

The story of "how I became a cop" is long and weird. But I did, and I tried to never let the badge weigh more than I did. I've made my mistakes...made an arrest when maybe there was another option; wrote a ticket just because I could; and let my ego rule instead of my heart. But over the years I learned, matured, and mellowed. I've also cried, openly, at a wreck where an innocent child died; same for a dog that ran out in traffic; and had to ask the Good Lord to guide my hand when I had to end the suffering of a deer that got hit by a car. Served no-knock warrants at 4 a.m. on a known drug dealer who we knew would shoot if we gave him time; learned the hard way that you hear the bullet before the shot when someone's shooting at you; attended two funerals of deputies I worked with who gave their life in the line of duty; and withstood the scrutiny that comes when you have no choice but to shoot back, or first. Been so scared I experienced "terror piss", and been so mad I refused to transport a guy we arrested for molesting his 10 year-old daughter. Made every mistake a cop can make, and so far...knock on wood...I'm still here.

I'm so flawed it's not funny. But my saving grace, if I have one, is that I care. Serve and Protect. You've heard me say that before. Basic mantra of those of us who are privileged to wear the badge. That's who I am; that's what motivates me; and that's what I defend here. Ras rubbed me the wrong way, way back when (I'm too lazy to go back and find the post), but in the days that have followed, I've learned that he and I are largely cut from the same cloth. We just took different paths to get where we are today, which is not that far apart on most issues.

So yeah, I'd drink a beer with him.
So you have your PHD too?

Those laser things scare the crap out of me. Everytime i see one pointed at me i think its a gun. Ive seen a couple that appear to have scopes on them.
My mom chewed someone’s ass off at city hall when we were in high school over that. A cop was running radar with a portable gun on a neighborhood street. He would hide behind a tree and when a car would approach he would jump out and point the gun. Did it to my mom and she about wrecked. Immediately went to city hall and commenced to chewing. That tactic went away.

Anyone that tries to put a racial spin on this is being dishonest... at best. White boys are catching all kinds of hell from these cops and black police are just as vicious on other black civilians.

"But don't let it be a black and a white one,
Cuz they'll slam you down to the street top.
Black police showing out for the white cop..."
Ice Cube

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
If you ever pull over DTH, don't look in his trunk. You'll think he's a weapons smuggler but in reality he'll just be on his way to the range.
What is that supposed to mean? Do you believe in the 2A? So what if a civilian has a bunch of guns in his car? Isn't that a Constitutionally protected right?

What is that supposed to mean? Do you believe in the 2A? So what if a civilian has a bunch of guns in his car? Isn't that a Constitutionally protected right?
LOL! It was a joke, Ras. Have you visited the Pub, the guns thread? DTH post pictures of his range trips and it includes a multitude of weaponry. I'm a huge @A proponent and have displayed that on multiple occasions. I own probably 10 different AR variations. Go eat a snickers, it's Friday.

My mom chewed someone’s ass off at city hall when we were in high school over that. A cop was running radar with a portable gun on a neighborhood street. He would hide behind a tree and when a car would approach he would jump out and point the gun. Did it to my mom and she about wrecked. Immediately went to city hall and commenced to chewing. That tactic went away.

Gotta catch these traffic violators... The Republic is in jeopardy with all of these speeders and non-signalling turning vehicles on our highways.

If I had to name 5 things that keep me awake at night and make me fear that our Republic will not make it past the next generation, it would have to be reefer, lack of turn signals, speeders, tinted windows and rolling stops. These are the scourges of The Republic.

Gotta catch these traffic violators... The Republic is in jeopardy with all of these speeders and non-signalling turning vehicles on our highways.

If I had to name 5 things that keep me awake at night and make me fear that our Republic will not make it past the next generation, it would have to be reefer, lack of turn signals, speeders, tinted windows and rolling stops. These are the scourges of The Republic.

You forgot "grocery carts left in the middle of the parking lot when the wind is blowing". Do you have any idea now many millions of dollars are spent by the taxpayers every year having to repair "Kroger scuffmarks" on their cars?

It's Friday, Ras. Long weekend with the Monday holiday (hope you get it). Relax...ignore the rampant partisan lunacy in D.C.; turn off your TV; log off your computer; change into some comfortable clothes; and go grab an ice-cold brew. More the better if you've got a dog to talk to while you drink it.

We can get pi**ed off all over again on Tuesday.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 37L1
Armageddon is upon us. InVOL tells the board "don't look in DTH's trunk"; Ras is initially offended until he finds out it's all in jest; marcus and DTH give InVOL "likes"; ob says he agrees; and here I sit watching 4 full grown men talk about "DTH's trunk".

Weird, no matter how you look at it.

Hey, look! Beer-thirty!

Armageddon is upon us. InVOL tells the board "don't look in DTH's trunk"; Ras is initially offended until he finds out it's all in jest; marcus and DTH give InVOL "likes"; ob says he agrees; and here I sit watching 4 full grown men talk about "DTH's trunk".

Weird, no matter how you look at it.

Hey, look! Beer-thirty!
So do you have your PhD?

So do you have your PhD?

Oh...no. Long story short: Wautash, smart though he be, was not a good student. Left school before my Senior year; worked at the Shoney's on Clinton Highway; thought I wanted to be a cook in the Air Force, so went down to the AFEES station on Central Avenue (rode my bike) and took the ASVAB; cut a 96; got stolen by the Navy recruiter, who was bribing the ASVAB administrators to cue him in on high scores; ended up joining the Navy; got my GED, and the rest is history.

FYI, I would have been in the "Class of '79". I was at Powell Elementary; christened the (then) new Middle School as a 7th grader; and then to PHS. The one teacher I clearly remember is Mr. Ballard at PMS, who could lift your ass off the ground with a paddle. Been there, done that.

Also no to whomever asked me about the Troy professor. All online, and I don't remember anything other than the online chalkboard, where I always ended up arguing with some liberal. Two years. AA in Criminal Justice.

But I do have a Masters Degree from the University of the North Atlantic. I majored in Cold War, with a minor in Deploying Special Forces on Foreign Soil.

:cool:

Oh...no. Long story short: Wautash, smart though he be, was not a good student. Left school before my Senior year; worked at the Shoney's on Clinton Highway; thought I wanted to be a cook in the Air Force, so went down to the AFEES station on Central Avenue (rode my bike) and took the ASVAB; cut a 96; got stolen by the Navy recruiter, who was bribing the ASVAB administrators to cue him in on high scores; ended up joining the Navy; got my GED, and the rest is history.

FYI, I would have been in the "Class of '79". I was at Powell Elementary; christened the (then) new Middle School as a 7th grader; and then to PHS. The one teacher I clearly remember is Mr. Ballard at PMS, who could lift your ass off the ground with a paddle. Been there, done that.

Also no to whomever asked me about the Troy professor. All online, and I don't remember anything other than the online chalkboard, where I always ended up arguing with some liberal. Two years. AA in Criminal Justice.

But I do have a Masters Degree from the University of the North Atlantic. I majored in Cold War, with a minor in Deploying Special Forces on Foreign Soil.

:cool:
Class of 81 here. Went to Powell elementary, Powell middle, and Powell high. Used to go to that Shoneys all the time. It's a pizza inn now. We probably know each other.

VN Store

Back