Tim Banks to Duke? That wouldn't be good

It wasn't career suicide for Spurrier.
Cut had some decent years there. Seems like he got them to a few bowl games.

Vandy is career suicide
Is career suicide being the DC at an SEC school making over a million dollars a year? Because that's what the last one is doing.

Man has a good job
Man takes a risky promotion for more money
Man isn't successful and loses job after a few years
Man goes back to previous level job at similar institution

Career suicide? No.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
If Lawrence had stayed would it have fallen? I think it is more about having a quality Qb than anything else. Kind of like UT with JG here.
Not like that didn't have a 5 star QB waiting to take over.

Lawrence leaving kind of spells out the point though, what can Dabo do without a generational QB? Not even win the ACC is the answer.

Look at Smart and Georgia. They're putting up close to 40 ppg with Stetson Bennet at QB.

I'm about to have some serious beef with Duke if they cherry pick another one of our guys. Need to see them in a mayo bowl or something.

It’s not

And no one “knows” what would happen.

However the past would make it extremely difficult for him to succeed. That can be changed……..however it would have to greatly change at Duke.

If anyone has any early success at Duke I would assume they leave…….as I would guess they all know longevity success probably isn’t happening.
Duke is the ultimate stepping stone. It’s a very slippery slope. Because as many have alluded to, it is potentially career suicide. On the other hand, if you can win at Duke, you’re going to have tons of big jobs available to you . Duke and Cut were the perfect marriage for one another at the right time. He turned Duke into a legit Power 5 program for a time, built competitive facilities, beat rivals and decided to stick around and be a part of the community. I won’t fault him for that, but like many places you can stay too long.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Duke is the ultimate stepping stone. It’s a very slippery slope. Because as many have alluded to, it is potentially career suicide. On the other hand, if you can win at Duke, you’re going to have tons of big jobs available to you . Duke and Cut were the perfect marriage for one another at the right time. He turned Duke into a legit Power 5 program for a time, built competitive facilities, beat rivals and decided to stick around and be a part of the community. I won’t fault him for that, but like many places you can stay too long.

You realize that Only Spurrier from the past 45-50 years, used Duke as a stepping stone……..and no one has for 30 years.

Virginia Tech just hired Brent Pry, Penn State DC. Does Franklin come after Banks ?
Honestly, if you are looking at the two programs trajectory, would you go to Penn state? They've dropped hard over the last two years, and got leapfrogged by Michigan state. I'm sure he'll give him a call, but I would have a tough time seeing him taking a lateral move.

You realize that Only Spurrier from the past 45-50 years, used Duke as a stepping stone……..and no one has for 30 years.

Yeah. I’m familiar. What I meant was that no one that has success will stay and that Duke and Cut were the perfect marriage once Hamilton botched the hire over keeping Kippy Brown on staff.

Yeah. I’m familiar. What I meant was that no one that has success will stay and that Duke and Cut were the perfect marriage once Hamilton botched the hire over keeping Kippy Brown on staff.

Yes I think everyone agrees with this.

If one goes there they need to have some semblance of success quickly…….then leave, quickly………or you die.

My take is ... if you want to be a Head Coach ... you have to interview. That does not mean you have to take it!
Elliott, Banks, etc. That tells the ADs in the world that you will listen.
It's a good move!
With that said .... I certainly hope he stays another season.

Very likely unfortunately
Maybe. But which is a better job ... long term? I am not sure.
I know, for me, it would depend on who I was working with and how easy they were to deal with as people.
Muschamp and Franklin appear to be cut from similar cloth when I watch them on the sidelines which is the only look I get.

I believe its his 1st season as a DC?
I felt the conservative zone defenses and constant QB runs, really showed his inexperience as a DC. Seems we couldn't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. He needs a few more seasons as a DC in the sec. I hope he decides to stay at UT. I think 4-5 years as a DC @ UT could really springboard his career into a better job than Duke .

Not like that didn't have a 5 star QB waiting to take over.

Lawrence leaving kind of spells out the point though, what can Dabo do without a generational QB? Not even win the ACC is the answer.

Look at Smart and Georgia. They're putting up close to 40 ppg with Stetson Bennet at QB.
Dabo won one without a generational Qb.

I believe its his 1st season as a DC?
I felt the conservative zone defenses and constant QB runs, really showed his inexperience as a DC. Seems we couldn't get off the field on 3rd and 4th downs. He needs a few more seasons as a DC in the sec. I hope he decides to stay at UT. I think 4-5 years as a DC @ UT could really springboard his career into a better job than Duke .

While I agree that I want Banks to stay, I disagree that he coached in an "inexperienced" manner. To me, his defensive choices were largely dictated by a real shortage of Jimmies and Joes available to him, particularly at LB. For example, while Banks plays with enthusiasm and aggressiveness, no one would have confused him with an AJ Johnson or any other featured UT linebacker from the past and Banks' LB colleagues, while improving, were often barely serviceable. Similarly, UT's secondary, while better than I expected to start the year, really was nothing to "write home about." Jackson was a find and Taylor was okay to solid, but I thought the rest of the secondary was outmanned in many instances. I think Banks turned in a coaching performance worthy of an award given his lack of top flight talent and depth.

Reactions: papatomany
The Banks bashing on here is funny.

We have a limited roster taking 80 snaps a game, yet we are near the top in the country in TFLs. Yes, we struggle on third downs, but both the TFL stat and the third down issues point to LB play, which was always our weakest position group. There is little CTB can do except develop the guys he has.

Banks has grown leaps and bounds and even Beasley is a lot better than he was early in the year. The entire defense looks prepared every game though. They just aren’t as talented as we would like. But they don’t give up. They fly to the ball. All the fundamentals have improved tremendously.

Not a single position group on defense has performed worse than could be expected.

I am not sure what else he could do.
Not bashing him or our defense, but if you are on the field for twice as many, sometimes more, plays than the other teams. Wouldn’t logic tell you that you should have twice or more tackles than other teams?

VN Store

Back