Ticket Sales Down

zyqrYZC.gif

I am not saying Pruitt would get great offers if he is mediocre (8-9 wins in Y3), I am saying that I dont think he would last that long because he would be jumping down the Admins throat long before that to get him whatever he thought was needed to win (happened at GA and he wasnt even HC). That would have gotten him canned in previous UT Admins but I expect Fulmer will "do his darndest" to get him whatever is needed. Pruitt has repeatedly proven that he can recruit, he has repeatedly proven he can coach up players, he has repeatedly proven he can call a defense (tops in the nation) - and he didnt do these things in the bohunk league. The only thing he hasnt done is run the show - but being under Sab/tan for so long he knows what the best looks like. If for some reason that isnt going gangbusters, CJP is likely to presume the problem is likely not in the field and so he will be open to offers to go elsewhere where he can get it done. And by getting it done, I mean winning championships not 9 win seasons. Pruitt is not playing for a paycheck, I think, so much as chasing his idols, Saban and Propst. At least that is what all info so far points to.
Yet he was no hot commodity coveted by multiple schools with desperate needs in a market with a vast number of respectable positions available. Fulmer's support is sketchy since the back half of his career displayed failed understanding of coaching needs for winning college football.

Reactions: 08Vol
Simple solution: start winning again and fans will show up. Some people forget we are coming off our worst season ever. I know for me personally, I’m tired of shelling out $150/ticket for games only for us to crap the bed. Probably how a lot of other fans feel right now too.
4+ hours to game and then lose again and again. Then drive away feeling like how can we be this bad? Waiting on something good to come our way.

First let me say that I think CJP is a real coach that will get things done here at UT. I think he is on a different level than the last 3 coaches we have had here. That being said, I think there is a frustration with the administration that is of epic proportions. The AD and Chancellor hirings have been mind boggling and the unwillingness to pony up money for a football coach has been down right criminal. I think that Schiano mess will leave a bad taste in the mouths of UT fans for a while. A lot of fans are to the point that it will take success on the field to get their pocket books open again. Not sales pitches, not moral victories, not recruiting classes, not steps in the right direction....success on the field and nothing less. With all of that, I think CJP is a coach that can give us that success.

The schedule sucks and any game that isn't garbage costs over $100/seat. I'll be at games, but I'm not going to get season tickets. I have to miss ETSU for a wedding and will likely do Alumni Band for Homecoming. The fees for that one cover a ticket.
I'll come out better buying tickets for each game as I go.

They are pricing themselves out of business. Have you seen a home Florida game on TV lately?

I went to watch Mercer play Bama last year. They probably had more people in BD than UTK got for any of its home games outside UGA. Win and they will spend the money to come and be part of the winning.
You've hit the nail on the head much more diplomatically than I had intended to. Keep up the good work!

It would be interesting if sometime in the future Schools started downsizing the football stadiums back to the size they were back in the 1970s-1980s because of falling college football attendance.

Most folks simply aren't expecting to win this year.

The coaching search was also a disaster and resulted in a small name coach. Not saying he won't be good, but if we had snagged Miles, Kelly, or Gruden, then expectations and ticket sales would have been better. Plus, it's just how that whole thing went down.

First let me say that I think CJP is a real coach that will get things done here at UT. I think he is on a different level than the last 3 coaches we have had here. That being said, I think there is a frustration with the administration that is of epic proportions. The AD and Chancellor hirings have been mind boggling and the unwillingness to pony up money for a football coach has been down right criminal. I think that Schiano mess will leave a bad taste in the mouths of UT fans for a while. A lot of fans are to the point that it will take success on the field to get their pocket books open again. Not sales pitches, not moral victories, not recruiting classes, not steps in the right direction....success on the field and nothing less. With all of that, I think CJP is a coach that can give us that success.
This is basically my thought as well. I am optimistic about Pruitt and I just wish most fans were as well. I hate to see low attendance this year.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
While TV contracts and 65"+ HDTV's certainly play a role in overall attendance nationwide, UT's problem is just flat out incompetence. As some in this thread have already mentioned, rising prices and a worse product equates to less attendees. Win 9-10+ yearly and they will come.

Just think about this after last season: UT was considering raising season ticket prices this yr! I believe they knew they would experience backlash and even more decreased donations if they followed through. However, I believe that's why they went to 'hybrid' pricing for single game tickets instead of a flat rate of $5-10 more than the season ticket face value for a particular game...to pass the 'burden' onto those whom don't donate.

All I can say is I hope CJP is finally the right coach to right all the crap, and I hate how attendance will seem to suffer this season. I don't blame people for wanting to stay home, but I hate it for this team and coaching staff. You know it's bad when you can buy Alabama tickets directly from the ticket office. However, if we're 3-0 going into Florida, you can bet Neyland will be sold out and will be a mad house.

There are 6 of us in my family. All sporting events have priced the average family out of going to their events. I cannot afford to take all of us to the game, have drinks, burgers, dogs, etc and then stay the night (too far to drive back). I just cannot afford that more than 1 time per year. Now if the ticket office wants to bring the prices down maybe my family attends 2 or 3 games but I do not ever see ticket prices going down. Maybe when we are empty nesters we can get season tickets.

Man this thread has made me dizzy. Everybody’s got it figured out and psycho-analyzed. I didn’t count because I got weary of reading most of this drivel but there must have been 80 different opinions but the truth none of us have a clue what will happen this year. I’m suspecting 6-6 or 7-5 will be a good year. But I’ve been wrong before.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Winning fixes almost everything. There are tons of unknowns coming into this season. Battered Vol syndrome is a real thing.

The media keeps undermining this year's team with low expectations and penciling them as a 6-6 at team at best ..even the local radio is joining in on this and furthering the narrative that bowl eligibility would take a miracle...

Compare that to last year in which, though we were terrible, preseason expectations were high and I believe we were in the top 25.

It's no wonder ticket sales are down at the start of the year. Yet, we are the Tennessee Vols and we averaged 95K last year to watch the Vols go winless in the SEC. There will no doubt be packed stadiums come game time because we support our team and look forward to brighter days ahead!

Mizzou and Kentucky tickets are going for as low as $20 right now on Stubhub. If we can grab a win against the 3 scrubs we play, and at least one of either WV/FL , then those games will be vital to securing, at worst, bowl eligbility. If we can pull a few upsets before then, even better! No excuse not to buy tickets!

Ticket sales may be down due to the weak home game slate. Outside of Bama and Florida there aren't really any marque games. ETSU, UTEP, Charlotte,and Kentucky are not going to send people rushing to the ticket window. Mizzou might be interesting but who knows how they will be doing come November.

Well, I don't want attendance to decline, but it has worked out well for me. I was able to upgrade my season tickets. I got closer to the field and closer to the 50 yard line. I was in QQ row 26, which were good seats for the money, but now I'm in FF row four. I'm pretty excited about it! Did anyone else change sections?
Last year I was able to move from BB to b, row 13, seats 11 and 12. This year staying in the same section, I moved over to seats 28 and 29 getting me close to mid field. If ticket sales are down, it has to be in the upper sections as most, except for a couple of random seats are gone. Next year, if possible, I may try to move over to the TN side.

Reactions: blitz
Poor teams combined with a lot of little things- an already tight seating arrangement coupled with increasingly fat fans, ridiculous parking, etc

If you want people in the stands and not watching TV, delay the radio 30 seconds and strike a deal for Verne and Gary to do every game. Stands will be packed.

Reactions: Mccage

VN Store

Back