Ticket Sales Down

Ticket sales are awful this year? Why are people so down when we have a new coach that might be a great one?
Last I checked, bama, Ohio state, Clemson, Georgie, and others also have all their games on TV while still selling out the stadium. If you think a 60" TV is the difference between UT and those programs, I would encourage you to reconsider.

I think it was the Sports Animal College Football Preview show from a couple of days ago that mentioned we were at about 65k in season ticket sales, which may be down from last year (I don’t know the exact stats), but they mentioned it is significantly higher than Lyle’s first season as head coach.

It’s not about TVs or convenience. It’s about wins and losses. If you win, they will come.

It's pretty understandable. It is a long-term failed product without any tangible adjustments to the product or the management team producing the product. In fact, the financial influencers of the program have not changed. The ultimate administration in charge has not changed. The direct manager of athletics is new and just happens to be the former football management team member primarily responsible for the initiation of the most recent decline of that product. In addition, the new football management team on the field was about the sixth choice of all of these inept levels of management, and sixth choice is being generous in describing it. In addition, the actual product keeps getting more expensive while less is received by the customer in return. There is no sense that the customer is valued, and I see no genuine efforts of better marketing and product delivery. That should cover the basics of the correct answer.

Ticket sales would be up had we made a premier hire.

It would be interesting to see which member here had the biggest jump in their donor number because so many fans didn’t renew after 2017.

Winning solves nearly all problems though. If Pruitt can’t get it done these numbers will decline even more and we will remain in Cleveland Browns territory and that’s no coincidence.

The 60” flat screen with no traffic or crowds experience at home costs you nothing, that’s why imo

Nailed it!

I’ve been been saying this for year but I’d take out every single piece of bleacher seating and replace it with a chair with an ass wide enough to seat someone other than a 4 year old girl, it may take attendance from 102k to 85-90k but would make for a much better game day experience. I’d also sell adult beverages and add another Jumbotron or two.

Last I checked, bama, Ohio state, Clemson, Georgie, and others also have all their games on TV while still selling out the stadium. If you think a 60" TV is the difference between UT and those programs, I would encourage you to reconsider.

You are right... Seeing a potential national champion play is something you can tell a son or grandson for years... saying you watched the worst vols team of all time (record wise) doesn’t help...

Also I think the TV thing you are under selling. It has definitely made the more casual fan less likely to be at the stadium.

If you think it's not a factor then you need to reconsider

Tennessee will win 7-8 games this season and Neyland Stadium will be packed;)
Tennessee is a 5-7 team. Their ceiling is 6-6. 7-5 is a miracle. That performance creates concern amongst the next recruiting class making them poachable. Every one of those players that is poached extends the time necessary to turn around the program. Without an overachieving performance at some early point in years 1-2, this quagmire is possibly just self-perpetuating. With the schedule this season, an overachieving performance will not even be recognizable because they can perform above their abilities and still not have wins on their record to show for it. Overachievement creating a quick turnaround most likely needs to happen next year, but that is difficult if the recruiting class is not realized as it is currently developing. Patience is thin, so who knows if the likely 5-6 years needed to fix this mess will be given, assuming Pruitt proves to be good at his job. That will likely influence further declines in attendance. This is the most likely scenarios, but I hope it changes for the sake of attendance.

Tennessee is a 5-7 team. Their ceiling is 6-6. 7-5 is a miracle. That performance creates concern amongst the next recruiting class making them poachable. Every one of those players that is poached extends the time necessary to turn around the program. Without an overachieving performance at some early point in years 1-2, this quagmire is possibly just self-perpetuating. With the schedule this season, an overachieving performance will not even be recognizable because they can perform above their abilities and still not have wins on their record to show for it. Overachievement creating a quick turnaround most likely needs to happen next year, but that is difficult if the recruiting class is not realized as it is currently developing. Patience is thin, so who knows if the likely 5-6 years needed to fix this mess will be given, assuming Pruitt proves to be good at his job. That will likely influence further declines in attendance. This is the most likely scenarios, but I hope it changes for the sake of attendance.
You're going to be surprised how well Tennessee does this season;)

6-6 is the floor. Anything less and I'll be very concerned with the hire

Reactions: Booker512
A lot of it has to do with donation amounts. We are nearly double that of Alabama and they win Natty's. We are about 50% more than Auburn as well, and they take turns with Bama on Championship games with exception to 2014. Poor Financial management by Athletic Directors through the years have forced UT to push the renovation cost onto the consumer, and the consumer that loves football is getting older and have bigger TV's. Now if Ticket prices go back to a reasonable rate, and donations aren't through the roof you would probably see a number of people who are on the fence come on board.

You clearly have no idea about CJP's personality. If Pruitt isnt seriously competing by Year 3 (and maybe by Year 2) he will LEAVE. Realize that Pruitt has never in his football career as a coach or a player been on a team with a losing season. I am not actually sure he has ever been on one that didnt win at least 10 games in a season. He has coached multiple National Championship teams in his few years. HE IS USED TO WINNING AND WINNING BIGLY ON THE BIG STAGE. We do not know yet if he will be able to pull it off here but if you think that PRUITT will stick around 5 years for a rebuild, you are mistaken. Wait and see - if this year is anything less than SEC E champ, CJP will be in CPF and UT board's face like a rabid bulldog about what HAS to happen for them to be SEC champs the next. I think he genuinely believes that they SHOULD win each game (will they is another question) - its just the way he is built.

If you think it's not a factor then you need to reconsider

Ok then address the other side. Why do the other schools.i mentioned all have waiting lists? Their fans don't have HD? Nothing beats the environment of being at the game. People have been complaining about TV long before HD. It's not the problem. If there is a problem beyong losing it is StubHub. When your team is down you get invaded by the opponent. Who wants to be there for that when you suck?

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
There is another issue too. I know more than 1 fan who is giving up their UT season tickets and instead buying Preds season tickets. It's a shorter drive and a winning team.

Reactions: NashvilleFan
You clearly have no idea about CJP's personality. If Pruitt isnt seriously competing by Year 3 (and maybe by Year 2) he will LEAVE. Realize that Pruitt has never in his football career as a coach or a player been on a team with a losing season. I am not actually sure he has ever been on one that didnt win at least 10 games in a season. He has coached multiple National Championship teams in his few years. HE IS USED TO WINNING AND WINNING BIGLY ON THE BIG STAGE. We do not know yet if he will be able to pull it off here but if you think that PRUITT will stick around 5 years for a rebuild, you are mistaken. Wait and see - if this year is anything less than SEC E champ, CJP will be in CPF and UT board's face like a rabid bulldog about what HAS to happen for them to be SEC champs the next. I think he genuinely believes that they SHOULD win each game (will they is another question) - its just the way he is built.
I like it. This program desperately needs an ambitious leader.

Pretty much every sports league in America and Canada is having this issue.
Yup, and whoever said Bama is sold out is wrong. I believe the garbage games still have tickets. Quite simply, you are going to offer more than a 10 inch seat and the game for 100+ per person.

VN Store

Back